Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Coaching youth 'soccer'

Moved to vancouver a few months ago and decided coaching would be a good way to help integrate a bit.
I've coached a bit a home and completed the highest level of community coaching qualifications here at the weekend. What struck me was how organized, structured and technical their approach was and the kids seem to massively reap the benefits, they play at very high standard (across the entire club) given that it's just a regular team for local kids.
The facilities they use are of such a high standard that they're currently being shared by the Canadian women's team ahead of the World Cup! Apparently the facilities are no better than most other clubs here! Each team (even thirds) has a coach, assistant coach and manager (for admin, parent management etc) which I found really surprising.
Is grass roots at home at this level now? 15years ago we were lucky to have grass on a sloped pitch at Russell park with someone's dad trying to run a session!
It's surely going to result in some very good players coming out of here in years to come.

Comments

• Options
    Ross_cafc said:

Is grass roots at home at this level now? 15years ago we were lucky to have grass on a sloped pitch at Russell park with someone's dad trying to run a session!
    It's surely going to result in some very good players coming out of here in years to come.

Where was home just a few months ago ?
  • Options
    The UK (Surrey)! But grew up in Bexleyheath (hence the Russell park reference for anyone who knows it!)
  • Options
    And how was grass roots youth football in Surrey when you left?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    PL54 said:

And how was grass roots youth football in Surrey when you left?

If I could answer my own question I wouldn't have asked it! : )

I haven't coached at home for 10 years so have no idea
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I have and I would say taht outside of academies, there are pockets of excellent coaching and a lot of traditional english coaching, which is about 7 year olds winning leagues!!!! The coaches who have these old ideas don't go away and if they did, there are not enough modern coaches to replace them.
  • Options
    Ross_cafc said:

Moved to vancouver a few months ago and decided coaching would be a good way to help integrate a bit.
    I've coached a bit a home and completed the highest level of community coaching qualifications here at the weekend. What struck me was how organized, structured and technical their approach was and the kids seem to massively reap the benefits, they play at very high standard (across the entire club) given that it's just a regular team for local kids.
    The facilities they use are of such a high standard that they're currently being shared by the Canadian women's team ahead of the World Cup! Apparently the facilities are no better than most other clubs here! Each team (even thirds) has a coach, assistant coach and manager (for admin, parent management etc) which I found really surprising.

Its no coincidence that the best teams in Europe are starting to forge partnerships with the Yankie teams
  • Options
    Teaching the coerver way to youngsters is the way forward ,recognised and used by the Dutch , Germans , French , Spanish and massive In South America and North America but for some reason our own
    Fa don't recognise it , which I find unbelieveable.
  • Options
    Watching my boy play today (U13) (in France).
    They do penalties, training exercises and then keepy uppies with feet and then with the head before the match. They pair off with a member of the other team for the keepy uppies.
    The match is played in four quarters which allows the coach to give some tips.
    The teams are 8 a side.
    Next season they start on full size pitches with 11 a side.