Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fastest Roads to Norfolk from se London?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Yes Arthur locals have really embraced the whole event that fills the guest houses and hotels.
    The local rec. is being used for those coming in caravans and motorhomes
    Last year one of the pubs ran out of beer even though they had several extra barrels.
    The quality of the bands is quite amazing.
    Last year Paul Jones opened the event at our small theatre type venue.
    One of the brilliant thing about the festival is that all the venues are within walking distance.
    For example you can listen to a blues band on the station platform and then wander 100 yards to a pub garden to hear another band.
    There are several venues in town that are presenting the event.
    The festival is really growing in popularity with folk from all parts of the U.K. attending.
  • Options
    Upton Upon Severn have similar festivals, one of which is entirely free and the bars and halls of the town are swamped. Very local, very rural but a wonderful atmosphere, so I know what you mean.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Norfolk .. one of the very few, if not the only English county which has no motorway .. lovely county, especially the north coast from Hunstanton to Cromer

I got 7 out of 9: http://www.sporcle.com/games/mahaneap/english-counties-without-motorways
    8 out of 9 but I forgot the City of London!!!!
  • Options
    well the dream may have come to a shattering end, as Natwest won't lend on a property next to a commercial property a b&b/tea room, something I find utterly ridiculous personally. That they didn't tell us this in the first place, or give us a questionnaire before taking our money for the valuation survey is also a disgrace I feel.
  • Options
    Tell them thanks and pull your dough out of them and go with someone esle
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    common practice nowadays it seems, we've also incurred a considerable fee

(edit: been on to the Ombudsman and will lodge a complaint, funnily our vendor is converting it into a normal house, he owns all three properties, a bnb and two attached cottages, so he would need to submit a planning application and convince our valuer before they will agree)

• Options
    well this one is going to run and run it seems, anyway, the vendor has already put steps in motion to cease trading as a B&B / Tea room, so the deal may be back on...
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    razil said:

common practice nowadays it seems, we've also incurred a considerable fee

(edit: been on to the Ombudsman and will lodge a complaint, funnily our vendor is converting it into a normal house, he owns all three properties, a bnb and two attached cottages, so he would need to submit a planning application and convince our valuer before they will agree)

Well, word your complaint correctly and they will not have a defence and you'll get your fee back plus some compensation for your wasted time and money I should think. The thing is they will have a responsibility to put your finances back to where they would have been if they hadn't cocked up, so whatever other costs you've incurred should be compensated.

The key phrase is (not) "treating customers fairly" and then choose your breaches from this list of the FCA's Principles For Businesses

1 Integrity - A firm must conduct its business with integrity.
    2 Skill, care and diligence - A firm must conduct its business with due skill, care and diligence.
    3 Management and control - A firm must take reasonable care to organise and control its affairs responsibly and effectively, with adequate risk management systems.
    4 Financial prudence - A firm must maintain adequate financial resources.
    5 Market conduct - A firm must observe proper standards of market conduct.
    6 Customers' interests - A firm must pay due regard to the interests of its customers and treat them fairly.
    7 Communications with clients - A firm must pay due regard to the information needs of its clients, and communicate information to them in a way which is clear, fair and not misleading.
    8 Conflicts of interest - A firm must manage conflicts of interest fairly, both between itself and its customers and between a customer and another client.
    9 Customers: relationships of trust - A firm must take reasonable care to ensure the suitability of its advice and discretionary decisions for any customer who is entitled to rely upon its judgment.
    10 Clients' assets - A firm must arrange adequate protection for clients' assets when it is responsible for them.
    11 Relations with regulators - A firm must deal with its regulators in an open and cooperative way, and must disclose to the appropriate regulator appropriately anything relating to the firm of which that regulator would reasonably expect notice.

If they didn't tell you in full what their lending criteria are, I'd have said they are bang to rights on 1, 2, 6 and 7, particularly the last two and lob in 3 for good measure.

This is the address and phone number:
    Customer Relations
    Freepost Nat12685
    Borehamwood
    Hertfordshire
    WD6 1BR
    0800 015 4212 (check with the phone number that this is up-to-date)

But copy in to this guy too to ensure they take you seriously:
    Ross Maxwell McEwan
    Royal Bank of Scotland plc
    135 Bishopsgate
    London
    UNITED KINGDOM
    EC2M 3UR

(RBS being the owner of Nat West of course and McEwan being a director and CEO of both.)

Edited to add if calling them ask who there CF10 is and copy that individual in too. (This will be their compliance officer.)
  • Options
    Thanks @cafcfan I'll do that if it goes the wrong way.

On a wider note I may write to my MP and possibly RBS because I think this will devalue properties on high streets, and plunge people into debt rates they can't escape from, if they live next to or near a commercial property. Not sure what can be done but to refuse mortgages and value such properties at zero is just insane, and a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Incidentally the guy actually did the valuation wrongly as well by miscounting the number of bedrooms..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I love it when a CL thread gets technical.

Good luck, Razil.

You might like to mention to the ombudsmen that you're planning to use the A10. It could make the difference.
  • Options
    It's the A11 to Norwich, mate.
  • Options
    IA said:

It's the A11 to Norwich, mate.

Lucky the house is nowhere near Norwich then.

A10! A10! A10!!!
  • Options
    One more shout a10
  • Options
    Came home to Dereham (mid Norfolk) from Sussex yesterday afternoon from Sussex. Used the fastest, most direct route M25, M11, A11, A14, A11, A1065, A47. No problem.
  • Options
    A11 innit
  • Options
    I'm sick of these A11 bastards.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I went back the a12 ipswich route from Ludham area, about 2:20 pretty good as its further than Swaffham

Anyway latest developments as follows:

Finally got mortgage agreed, the bnb next door is converting to residential, The vendors said they wanted to move swiftly but have actually been slow and we may not get in for the summer season, not good..

meanwhile we've found somewhere we like in a place called Happisburg. Not quite as nice in terms of the kitchen dining room, but bags of character, walking distance from the sea. Issues are the really nice village its near and pub could be in the sea in the not so distant future 2055, oh and it has a thatched roof which can be an issue.

• Options
    I seem to recall sea encroachment problems at Happisburgh a few years back, you may not have a very long walk to the beach before very long? (I am prepared to be completely wrong, just thought I should mention my concerns before it becomes too late.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yup noted, the property is out of the projected sea erosion area. But it presents a dillemma, and a real tragedy for our beautiful coastlne and often attractive villages that will be lost as government has abandoned some to the sea for economic reasons
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pronounced locally as - Haysbru

I'm off to Caister next week. what way should I go?
  • Options
    I've found the GPS good on the way there, take the a2, m25, m11, a11, then take the Gt Yarmouth Rd East rather than North into Norwich (coming back is trickier with the GPS - it tends to take you through Norwich, but its not so bad when traffic is light)

Anyway all going well this may well be the next la maison de Razil marque de deux

• Options
    I'll have 2 cream teas please.
  • Options

Many events and village fetes happen during the summer.
    Our market town (Dereham) has a blues festival on July 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th. The town’s pubs clubs and even the railway station platform present blues bands.

The locals must be chuffed about that.
    It's nice that local bands get a platform to perform on. Do they record as few tracks as well?
    Slow day ARTHUR?