Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The worst pair of shoes you've ever owned

2»

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Fashion of any description and me are not and never have been close bedfellows.

I do wonder whether there is actually anything new under the sun.

My daughters refer to 'Converse' footwear and me being me had no idea what on earth they were talking about. On being shown a pair I committed the heinous crime of remarking that when I was a lad they were called plimsolls and the only difference is that they have two colours rather than one.

Doubtless by calling plimsolls Converse shops can charge more or maybe I am a cynical old git.

When you were a lad yes, generic term for pumps/ canvas shoes was plimsoles. Hardly converses fault who have ben a company making footwear since 1908. The chuck taylor has been around since 1932. No reason to be cynical, just embrace the training shoe ....
  • Options
    Not sure i understand the thread ... surely at the time the shoes would be the muts? 20 years later you may go ... oooh my, but thats the point. Have never worn a shoe I didn't like.
  • Options
    Riscardo said:

Not sure i understand the thread ... surely at the time the shoes would be the muts? 20 years later you may go ... oooh my, but thats the point. Have never worn a shoe I didn't like.

You obviously haven't read my contribution then mate.
  • Options
    Riscardo said:

Agree.

• Options
    Riscardo said:

LenGlover said:

Fashion of any description and me are not and never have been close bedfellows.

I do wonder whether there is actually anything new under the sun.

My daughters refer to 'Converse' footwear and me being me had no idea what on earth they were talking about. On being shown a pair I committed the heinous crime of remarking that when I was a lad they were called plimsolls and the only difference is that they have two colours rather than one.

Doubtless by calling plimsolls Converse shops can charge more or maybe I am a cynical old git.

When you were a lad yes, generic term for pumps/ canvas shoes was plimsoles. Hardly converses fault who have ben a company making footwear since 1908. The chuck taylor has been around since 1932. No reason to be cynical, just embrace the training shoe ....
    Just such a shame that they are now owned by fecking Nike.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    My old Mum used get me down to Clarks in woolwich everytime I needed shoes to get properly measured, look around the shop too see there was nothing in her price range, then wiz me back to Mr Dawes in Charlton and the conversation would go like this......
    Mum... do you have a black shoe, size 3 and a half broad fitting?
    Mr Dawes.... A school shoe?
    Mum..... sort of multi purpose!
    Mr Dawes.... Price range?
    Me....... Mum, Mum, I like these ones............ *mum walks to display*
    Mum, you can sod off, if you think Im paying that for shoes!!
    Me, Pffft
    Mr Dawes... how about these, they are reduced....... *mums eyes light up*
    Mum.... How much are they?
    Mr Dawes... To you, 3 quid.....
    ......*Mum, looking at me*........ "do you like them?
    Me..... No, mum there horrible!!!..........*bottom lip starts to go*
    Mum... size five and a half broad fitting please Mr Dawes
    ......... *Mr Dawes checks his stock*....
    Mr Dawes.... we have them in a five or a six!!
    Mum.... No five and half broad fitting?
    Mr Dawes......*Shakes Head*
    me......*beaming from ear to ear*
    Mum......we'll take them in a six...*looks to me*....."put two pair of socks on until you grow into them"
    :):)
  • Options
    A pair of platforms c 1974/5 - three colours white, brown and purple. I kid you not!

Bought from Faith Shoes in Powis Street.
  • Options
    Was arrested as one of 24 on a rugby tour in Cambridge ( c1991 (innocent) ) and sent out of the cells in the morning but police kept all our shoes.

Went to Oxfam and all they had was a pair of clogs so I spent the rest of the weekend out and about looking rather odd.

Fitzwilliam College didn't ever get over that weekend.
  • Options
    I didn't own them but I borrowed a pair of my big brother's platform shoes to go to a disco in Barnehurst in the mid 70s.

Needless to say I got the **** kicked out of me.
  • Options
    I got a £5.99 pair of platform soles and heels with squiggles down the platforms from Shoefayre in Bexleyheath, mid seventies
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got a pair of SP 7's for Christmas they were worn twice before his departure in jan
  • Options
    I had a pair of Denim loafers back in the day..............they were finished off nicely with a brown leather trim. Beautiful.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Was arrested as one of 24 on a rugby tour in Cambridge ( c1991 (innocent) ) and sent out of the cells in the morning but police kept all our shoes.

Went to Oxfam and all they had was a pair of clogs so I spent the rest of the weekend out and about looking rather odd.

Fitzwilliam College didn't ever get over that weekend.

Welcome to the forum George Davis
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Bought a pair of Adidas Buenos Aires 9 years ago.
    Worn them once. Still can't work out if they're cool or horrendous.
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Bought a pair of Adidas Buenos Aires 9 years ago.
    Worn them once. Still can't work out if they're cool or horrendous.

like a lot of things, it's not what you wear its how you wear it.
  • Options
    My current running trainers - Brooks Glycerin 12s. Have already run in Brooks Glycerin's and go through about 3-4 pairs a year but the latest update to 12s has changed ever so slightly but it causing me an alarming achilles tendon problem. Now trying to get another pair of 11s.

(Before anyone says it, the numbers are the model numbers, not sizes!)
  • Options
    My current pair are not breaking in. I am limping home every day. I hate them. But I really like them.
  • Options
    When did an interest in shoes stop being a distinguishing feature between the sexes?