Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Non-story.

Every bookmaker, or any other business selling a product or service, has the right to correct a palpable error. The price was clearly a mistake and if this particular customer wishes to take his dispute to IBAS they will find in favour of William Hill.

But stories like this get responses like 'they welch on bets' ;-)
  • Options
    What i would like to know is why did he only put 50p on it ?
  • Options
    So for the sake of £1,000 William Hill will get some bad publicity.

• Options

What i would like to know is why did he only put 50p on it ?

"Student Nurse" might be a clue.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

And for the sake of a bit of bad publicity they set a precedent that they don't always correct palpable errors. Damned if they do etc...
  • Options
    iaitch said:

They could set a bad precedent and when someone puts £100 on a similar bet at 2,000 to one they would rue giving away £1,000 for 'cheap' publicity. The punter, almost certainly, knew that he was getting a price that was a mistake. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that he limited the bet to 50p because he thought that £1,000 was as much as they would pay out in error.
  • Options
    Never trust a bookie wearing spiked shoes....
  • Options
    what a numpty,turning down 2x £50 free bets aswel.
  • Options
    34 year student nurse betting on tennis and to a 50p stake .......says all ....if I was him I would grab the 2 £50 free bet vouchers he can then have a 100 tennis bets ...and if they win he would get paid out ...less stake
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the story is there is no such thing as poor bookie .....grab the free bets
  • Options
    Billy Hill have the best app, they are my bookmaker of choice
    This is a non story, errors happen a lot of the time
    2000/1 is a clear error
  • Options
    "On any one tennis match, we can offer up to 150 prices which are constantly changing as the game unfolds. Obviously, while we try to ensure that our odds are correct at all times, there can be small human errors."

Are these odds actually maintained in-play by humans ??
  • Options
    IA said:

"On any one tennis match, we can offer up to 150 prices which are constantly changing as the game unfolds. Obviously, while we try to ensure that our odds are correct at all times, there can be small human errors."

Systems based on algorithms are used extensively - but those systems are created by humans!!
  • Options
    IA said:

Yes.

Algorithms at work but have to manually update them as the game, set and match unfold.
  • Options

IA said:

I believe all betting odds worldwide are controlled by Ray Winstone's enormous floating head
    They are!
  • Options
    WSS said:

IA said:

Yes.

Algorithms at work but have to manually update them as the game, set and match unfold.
    Yeah, I imagined there was a human updating the score somehow, but thought that would automatically update the odds via algorithms etc, along with the bets placed so far.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

There's a moral issue here.

The odds were shown and the bloke took them.

If I bet £200 rather than £20 or £2000 rather than £200 by mistake would William Hill reimburse me because of my 'palpable' error?

Like hell they would!

They cannot or rather should not have it both ways.

No but I bet that if you'd written £200 on the betting slip and only given him 50p he would have, kindly, pointed it out to you.

;-)

On a serious note I suspect that if they'd written 2-1 when it should have been 20-1 if you'd asked them to review it when you went to collect your winnings they would have paid out 20-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Money grabbing bookie, money grabbing punter.
    I don't know who's worse.
  • Options
    Clearly a palp, can't believe a journo would waste their time writing a story about it
  • Options

LenGlover said:

If I bet £200 rather than £20 or £2000 rather than £200 by mistake would William Hill reimburse me because of my 'palpable' error?

Like hell they would!

No but I bet that if you'd written £200 on the betting slip and only given him 50p he would have, kindly, pointed it out to you.

;-)

On a serious note I suspect that if they'd written 2-1 when it should have been 20-1 if you'd asked them to review it when you went to collect your winnings they would have paid out 20-1.
    I've done it online where I accidentally put £10 accumulator on but put it in a triple stake meaning I've bet £30. It's not even worth taking it up with them. You've just got to cross your fingers.
  • Options
    Like something like this has never happened on here...............

• Options
    rina said:

Clearly a palp, can't believe a journo would waste their time writing a story about it

This is 2015. Journalists forge careers by writing about absolute nonsense. Eg: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2560118/Lauren-Goodger-jumps-round-puddle-outside-coffee-shop-friend.html

• Options
    I don't know who Lauren Goodger is but thank god she's alright
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Like hell they would!

;-)

Ha ha ha - really????

If you had 50p on it maybe - if you had 10K, yeah right.

Look guys, you like a bet, you don't mind sending 20 quid a week down the s***ter, I don't mind p***ing 20 (+) quid a week up the wall. But I don't feel the need to defend the brewery in order to justify my stupidity.

Bookies are rich for a reason, and you are not sitting on a beach in the Bahamas for the same reason.

Enjoy your bet, but don't try and defend their "heads we win tails you lose" rules.