Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Motorcycle selecting...

edited June 2015 in Not Sports Related
Hi guys
Just passed my A category test.

I like the look of Sports Tourers with half fairing and am considering an XJ600 Diversion from Yamaha.

Does anyone have any other ideas I should consider, that are sensibly priced (£3-4k).

I don't want to jump in and buy any old sports tourer.

Cheers

Darrel

Comments

• You sure you wouldn't prefer a Lambretta? .............. :)
  • Congrats Dazzler. The best form of travel. I'm more into the sports bikes side of the market.
    However I understand that the Diversion is a great bike, have you thought about the Honda Hornet or Suzuki SV?

Whatever you buy, I'm sure you'll have that permanent grin on you face that only riding a bike can give you.
  • I would recommend the smaller engined triumph tiger if you can get one for your budget. I have had triumphs for years and love them. Currently riding a triumph sprint st. The one downside is they tend to appeal to taller people more as the seats are quite high, but you can get conversion kits to drop the seat height.
  • Triumph Sprint ST was my choice in same situation a few years ago. Regularly did Manchester and back in a day. Might be a bit tippee toe but only if under 5' 9" I'd say.
  • I ride a Honda and love it so suggest a Hornet 600.
  • Choices in order

Triumph ST - all day long
    Triumph Tiger 800
    Hornet
    SV
    XJ600 - but put a better bulb in the front and put BT45's on.
    MT 07
    or possibly ER 5
  • Better on a Lambretta
  • We r the mods we r the mods we r we r we r the mods
  • Try ringing this number 01474 328289 and ask for Ian during business hours. Excellent bike for sale. Welling. No catches, he is giving up biking, but treats his bike lovingly and will tell you all about it.
  • What are you going to be using the bike for? Start from there and then work out what bike best fulfils the role.

Having said that, I tend not to go more than five or six miles at a time and I ride an 850 sport bike so what do I know?
  • Sponsored links:

• What are you going to be using the bike for? Start from there and then work out what bike best fulfils the role.

Having said that, I tend not to go more than five or six miles at a time and I ride an 850 sport bike so what do I know?

Similar distances to be honest.

The Yamaha seems reliable, nippy and easy to handle (according to reviews)
  • Dazzler21 said:

What are you going to be using the bike for? Start from there and then work out what bike best fulfils the role.

Similar distances to be honest.

The Yamaha seems reliable, nippy and easy to handle (according to reviews)
    One thing to consider. A twin will be cheaper to service than a four.

Also, get a test ride.
  • Coincidentally I'm in a similar situation. I passed my test a couple of weeks ago and will also be upgrading when I'm back in the country.

CBR600F is my preference then a Fazer or Diversion. All comfy, fast and don't have to be revved high for power.

Bikechatforums is a good place for chat, advice and sometimes very dark humour. If you go through threads you'll find a lot more help
  • For me, Divi's are a bit like buying an NTV or a Bandit - comfy, easy to ride, commuter friendly - and ultimately a bit soulless.

For £3-4k you've got tons to choose from. I'd look for something a bit quirky or unusual, or raw. Maybe something with a nutty power band, mechanically unusual, or just something you love the look of from loads of different angles.

Bikes are more than transport. Go with heart before head and pick something you can lust after.
  • MOBY DUCK said:

For me, Divi's are a bit like buying an NTV or a Bandit - comfy, easy to ride, commuter friendly - and ultimately a bit soulless.

For £3-4k you've got tons to choose from. I'd look for something a bit quirky or unusual, or raw. Maybe something with a nutty power band, mechanically unusual, or just something you love the look of from loads of different angles.

Bikes are more than transport. Go with heart before head and pick something you can lust after.

I saw this attractive Spanish women getting of a Ducati. I was torn between lusting after the bike and the señorita.