Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Money received for Academy/Youth players

edited June 2015 in General Charlton
1960's

Marvin Hinton: 30,000 to Chelsea August 1963
Mike Bailey: 35,000 to Wolverhampton Wanderers February 1966
Billy Bonds: 47,500 to West Ham United Summer 1967
Len Glover: 80,000 to Leicester City November 1967

1970's

Alan Campbell: 70,000 to Birmingham City October 1970

1980's

Paul Walsh: 250,000 plus Steve White in Exchange to Luton Town July 1982
Paul Elliott: 95,000 to Luton Town March 1983
Mark Stuart: 125,000 to Plymouth Argyle November 1988

1990's

Mickey Bennett: 250,000 to Wimbledon January 1990
Gordon Watson: 250,000 up to 350,000 with Add on's. To Sheffield Wednesday March 1991
Anthony Barness: 350,000 to Chelsea September 1992
Robert Lee: 700,000 to Newcastle United. September 1992
Scott Minto: 862,500 to Chelsea May 1994
Darren Pitcher: 700,000 (inc Paul Mortimer/David Whyte in Exchange) to Crystal Palace July 1994
Kim Grant: 250,000 to Luton Town March 1996
Lee Bowyer: 2,812,500 to Leeds United July 1996
Carl Leaburn: 300,000 to Wimbledon January 1998
Kevin Nicholls: 250,000 raising to 650,000 based on appearances. To Wigan Athletic July 1999
Jermain Defoe: 2.2m (Compo) to West Ham United. Late 1999

2000's

Shaun Newton: 1.15m to Wolverhampton Wanderers August 2001
Scott Parker: 10m to Chelsea January 2004
Michael Turner: Undisclosed Fee plus sell on clause to Brentford November 2004 (Sell on clause believed to be 600,000 when Turner moved from Hull to Sunderland)
Paul Konchesky: 1.5m to West Ham United July 2005
Sean McGinty: Undisclosed Compo Fee to Manchester United July 2009 (Believed to be 500,000)

2010's

Jonjo Shelvey: 3.38m with possible add on's to Liverpool April 2010
Carl Jenkinson: Undisclosed Fee to Arsenal July 2011 (Believed to be 1m)
Rob Elliot: Undisclosed Fee to Newcastle United August 2011 (A 100,000 bid was turned down previously)
Kasey Palmer: Undisclosed Compo Fee to Chelsea April 2013 (Believed to be 200,000 raising up to 800,000)
Diego Poyet: Undisclosed Fee to West Ham United July 2014
Joe Gomez: Undisclosed Fee to Liverpool June 2015 (A fee of 3.5m according to the media but denied as a low value by many)

Comments

• Options
    Did we get owt for JLloyd Samuel or Ryan Huddart?
  • Options
    What about the 600,000 (?) for Danny Shittu to Queens Park Rangers?
  • Options

Did we get owt for JLloyd Samuel or Ryan Huddart?

50k or something like that for Samuel.
  • Options

Was not in our academy i think - we picked him up from Carshalton I believe
  • Options
    I think the Gomez price is mental considering Tyrone Mings went for £8m.
  • Options

I think the Gomez price is mental considering Tyrone Mings went for £8m.

Perhaps the bigger clubs can turn heads, therefore they don't have to pay as much for players from lower leagues.
  • Options

Was not in our academy i think - we picked him up from Carshalton I believe
    He played in the Under 19's but you are correct re Carshalton Athletic.
  • Options
    Don't think the Shelvey money is correct, think it was something like £1.6m with add-ons. I remember Murray thinking we had got a very good deal based on them never properly seeing him play.

Very surprised Shaun Newton was a £1m+ playert
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Don't think the Shelvey money is correct, think it was something like £1.6m with add-ons. I remember Murray thinking we had got a very good deal based on them never properly seeing him play.

Very surprised Shaun Newton was a £1m+ playert

The club handbook is showing that figure of 3.38m for Jonjo. The original sum was 1.7m plus add on's.

Newton was 850,000 plus add on's which included if Wolves were promoted to the Premiership.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was under the impression that Shelvey was only about £1.5m... Shocked that Shittu wasnt completely in our Academy especially with the transfer record at the time when we sold him etc...
  • Options
    Owen Price has to be the best. I was helping twiddle knobs on the old Mike Mansfield Meridian Radio show one Sunday evening. He was interviewing the then boss of the Academy, and they were discussing the poached departures of Defoe, Samuels and the latest, Owen Price. He said the Addicks were furious about Defoe and Samuels, but were secretly very happy about taking money (£500,000?) off Spurs for Price as they were sure he was never going to make it, and our man was right.
  • Options
    Just overheard a few lads in Cobham who looked like they'd been training saying how good Casey Palmer is.

Can't be that great can he? How old is he now ?
  • Options
    He's 18, same year group as Gomez.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yanMIV-vvn0
  • Options
    Scoham said:

He's 18, same year group as Gomez.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yanMIV-vvn0

Nowhere near as good as his namesake Carlton...
  • Options
    This is an entertaining article that relates to the likes of Kasey Palmer.

http://thesetpieces.com/features/7692/
  • Options
    Very good article, sums it all up.
  • Options
    I believe Palmer has been a part of the Chelsea youth side that has won the youth FA cup for something like three years in a row. Certainly seems to be decent, but there are four or five attacking players (Solanke, Brown, Paizon, that other Brazilian, Traore, Swift, etc.) slightly older than him who are ahead of him and playing first team football on loan.

I remember Shelvey's fee being 1.6m with add-ons. At the time I thought that was mental, far too low. But by some accounts, it basically kept the club in business for the next few months, and the deal was structured with money up front which was apparently the appeal. Also feel that Gomez was far too cheap.

That said, we all know transfer fees amongst English teams are mental and distorted and it's all a false economy.
  • Options
    Was Mike Bailey an academy player? I seem to recall he came from a club in Norfolk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The shocker with Shelvey was that he was sold before the end of the season, when we were in the playoffs with a chance of promotion.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

The shocker with Shelvey was that he was sold before the end of the season, when we were in the playoffs with a chance of promotion.

True although he wasn't playing that well and we were totally skint. That's one thing I don't blame our last three boards for !

Also, didn't we win almost all of our games at the end of that season ?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

True although he wasn't playing that well and we were totally skint. That's one thing I don't blame our last three boards for !

I think he's head had been turned.
    as like you said he was playing poorely for a number of games near the end.
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

I think he's head had been turned.
    as like you said he was playing poorely for a number of games near the end.
    Agreed.

Has Shelvey ever had a really impressive run of games? He seems mentally suspect to me. He's as talented a passer as any english player but consistency seems to allude him; must be a mentality issue
  • Options
    Also he never seems fit, bit slow and cumbersome around the pitch.
  • Options
    If sold now Shelvey, Jenks, Gomez and Elliot would get what

Shelvey £8M
    Jenks £6M
    Gomez £8M
    Elliot £2M

Say £24M = nearly 5 years of Championship break even money. Shame we have no chance of holding onto these sort of players for any time whatsoever.
  • Options

If sold now Shelvey, Jenks, Gomez and Elliot would get what

Shelvey £8M
    Jenks £6M
    Gomez £8M
    Elliot £2M

Say £24M = nearly 5 years of Championship break even money. Shame we have no chance of holding onto these sort of players for any time whatsoever.

But Richard Murray told us that with RD owning the club we would hold onto our younger players longer until their real value is reached, do you not believe him?