Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nigel Pearson

Comments

• One thing that's always bothered me is why it's pronounced 'peer son' and not 'pear son'

Fair point but its pronounced pear as rhyming with hear.
    So why is a pear pronounced 'pair'. I give up.
    It's obviously to differentiate the two i.e. you wouldn't have a "pear" of blue tits or a "pair" shaped bottom would you?
    But the pronunciation is the same. So why in the case of ol' Nige is it Pear (Hear) not Pear (pair)
  • Now that people are debating on the pronunciation of Pearson's name.... As a foreigner, I find the patterns of pronunciation and syllable stress in English are more difficult than those in French which I learned a little bit by myself two years ago. When you see a French word you don't know, you can still pronounce it correctly. That said, I think French is way more complicated than English in terms of grammar...
  • One thing that's always bothered me is why it's pronounced 'peer son' and not 'pear son'

Do you think that's why they sacked him? :smiley:

Do you think that's why they sacked him? :smiley:
    Sacked him?! With such a complicated surname, I'm shocked they hired him!
  • The Tinkerman appointed.

Thought you meant Ranieri...then realised you did. Weird decision.
  • The literal anti-Pearson. A man who is polite to a fault
  • Can see this all going wrong already. I give him until October.

Fair point but its pronounced pear as rhyming with hear.
    So why is a pear pronounced 'pair'. I give up.
    It's obviously to differentiate the two i.e. you wouldn't have a "pear" of blue tits or a "pair" shaped bottom would you?
    But the pronunciation is the same. So why in the case of ol' Nige is it Pear (Hear) not Pear (pair)

Oh FFS, I'm going jump off a pier.
  • Sponsored links:

The John Inman lookalike
  • Very good appointment by Leicester, in my opinion. Great experience, including in the Prem. He should be able to attract good talent, with his track record.
  • Now that people are debating on the pronunciation of Pearson's name.... As a foreigner, I find the patterns of pronunciation and syllable stress in English are more difficult than those in French which I learned a little bit by myself two years ago. When you see a French word you don't know, you can still pronounce it correctly. That said, I think French is way more complicated than English in terms of grammar...

Shall we talk about tones and the never ending confusion they can cause :persevere:
  • I Leicester are forked.
  • The appointment of another foreign manager by far eastern owners who appear not to have a clue about the merits of young English managers .. how is all this money in Thailand being earned ?
  • The appointment of another foreign manager by far eastern owners who appear not to have a clue about the merits of young English managers .. how is all this money in Thailand being earned ?

A wider than average gap exists between the financially fortunate and the rest in Thailand, which like India, produces some mega monied elite.

He owns King Power which is all the duty free shops at airports in Thailand. So all his money is made of tourists buying booze and fags. If you have seen how much the Russians and Chinese buy at the duty free in Bangkok airport, surprised he is not richer.
  • edited July 2015
    Next Premier League Manager to Leave
    Next Manager To Go - 2 The first index of this market commenced at 6pm on 12/6/2015. The market will conclude at kickoff of all matches on the last day of the 2015/16 Premier League Season
    Brendan Rodgers 7/2
    Quique Sanchez Flores 5/1
    Tim Sherwood 7/1
    Dick Advocaat 8/1
    Manuel Pellegrini 8/1
    Slaven Bilic 10/1
    Claudio Ranieri 16/1
    Alex Neil 18/1
    Roberto Martinez 20/1
    Mauricio Pochettino 20/1
    Tony Pulis 20/1
    Eddie Howe 22/1
    Alan Pardew 25/1
    Garry Monk 28/1
    Ronald Koeman 33/1
    Steve McClaren 33/1
    Mark Hughes 33/1
    Louis Van Gaal 50/1
    Arsene Wenger 50/1
    Jose Mourinho 50/1
    No Manager To Leave 80/1
  • Fancy this one Mauricio Pochettino 20/1
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2015
    from 2:12 on is that the sign of a sane man really? I think he has issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVwew-4Y1hY
  • Next Premier League Manager to Leave
    Next Manager To Go - 2 The first index of this market commenced at 6pm on 12/6/2015. The market will conclude at kickoff of all matches on the last day of the 2015/16 Premier League Season
    Brendan Rodgers 7/2
    Tim Sherwood 7/1
    Dick Advocaat 8/1
    Manuel Pellegrini 8/1
    Slaven Bilic 10/1
    Claudio Ranieri 16/1
    Alex Neil 18/1
    Roberto Martinez 20/1
    Mauricio Pochettino 20/1
    Tony Pulis 20/1
    Eddie Howe 22/1
    Alan Pardew 25/1
    Garry Monk 28/1
    Ronald Koeman 33/1
    Steve McClaren 33/1
    Mark Hughes 33/1
    Louis Van Gaal 50/1
    Arsene Wenger 50/1
    Jose Mourinho 50/1
    No Manager To Leave 80/1

Lump on Sherwood at 7-1.
  • from 2:12 on is that the sign of a sane man really? I think he has issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVwew-4Y1hY

If you look back through the thread, I think pretty much everyone agrees.
  • Fancy this one Mauricio Pochettino 20/1

Was just thinking that. Already had a full season in charge, that must make him one of Spurs' longest serving managers. Levy's trigger finger must be twitching like mad by now.
  • The following managers have all, at times, demonstrated moments of madness (some more than others):

Clough
    Fergie
    Mourinho
    Van Gaal
    Wenger
    Simeone

This Luzon guy apparently passed our madness test with flying colours.

• masicat said:

Next Premier League Manager to Leave
    Brendan Rodgers 7/2
    Tim Sherwood 7/1
    Dick Advocaat 8/1
    Manuel Pellegrini 8/1
    Slaven Bilic 10/1
    Claudio Ranieri 16/1
    Alex Neil 18/1
    Roberto Martinez 20/1
    Mauricio Pochettino 20/1
    Tony Pulis 20/1
    Eddie Howe 22/1
    Alan Pardew 25/1
    Garry Monk 28/1
    Ronald Koeman 33/1
    Steve McClaren 33/1
    Mark Hughes 33/1
    Louis Van Gaal 50/1
    Arsene Wenger 50/1
    Jose Mourinho 50/1
    No Manager To Leave 80/1

Lump on Sherwood at 7-1.
    I would but Watford will probably have been through four managers before anyone else gets sacked.
  • Sherwood will be fine at Villa I reckon... Cant see him being sacked there - Bilic @ West Ham will be in most trouble, because it'll be their first season at the Olympic Stadium next year I can see Gold / Sullivan getting extremely nervous if they even look like getting into a relegation battle, is almost like how Murray panicked by spending millions to try and ensure Premier League survival because of the new TV deal at the time.

Martinez (Everton) / Pochettino (Spurs) / McClaren (Newcastle) / Advocaat (Sunderland) are the others in danger I reckon
  • Ranieri will be sacked and Pearson invited back.
  • Bilic @ West Ham will be in most trouble, because it'll be their first season at the Olympic Stadium next year I can see Gold / Sullivan getting extremely nervous if they even look like getting into a relegation battle

Get rid of Allardyce, go down playing "the West Ham way", open the doors to the Olympic Stadium in the Championship. I can feel it in my bones
  • Ranieri will be sacked and Pearson invited back.
    Sometimes you have to chuckle at how wrong you got at situation. Ranieri and Leicester went on to win the PL of course.

Pearson is now doing an excellent job at Watford who had taken just 9/51 points from the first 17 games and 13/15 from just 5 games since he took over.