Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

James Ward

As we have no general Wimbledon discussion, James Ward has taken the first set 6-2

Comments

• At 111th world ranking he's doing very well against a guy who is ranked round 50th but uncomfortable on grass.
  • Is he Jacko's best mate?
  • WSS said:

Is he Jacko's best mate?

Yes
  • Yeh - went to school together. Much as it pains me to post a link to the Daily Mail:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2078061/Johnnie-Jackson-James-Ward-interview.html
  • Think he's one of jacko's mates
  • Two sets up now
  • Let's hope his bottle doesn't go and he can finish the bloke off.
  • 28 now. Seems a decent player but pipe-cleaner arms and legs. Should have beefed up earlier in his career like Murray did.
  • Theres a few who come through later - Wawrinka being an obvious example, not that I expect Ward to reach that level, but he could get into the top 50 I reckon with the right coaching and, as you say, a bit of work in the gym. Break point in the third now!
  • Sponsored links:

• Damn - broken in the third.
  • Lost the third
  • I wish he'd hurry up and win, Radwanska's on next...
  • Ward is leading 3-1 in the 3rd.
  • 4-1 up in the fourth now
  • Ward won!
  • Good work that lad!
  • Next opponent Vasek Pospisil. Higher ranked than James Ward but on grass by no means unbeatable if James plays well.
  • I know I'm getting way ahead of myself but it could be a Ward vs Murray quarter final.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Theres a few who come through later - Wawrinka being an obvious example, not that I expect Ward to reach that level, but he could get into the top 50 I reckon with the right coaching and, as you say, a bit of work in the gym. Break point in the third now!

The £77k (so far) will certainly help. Those massive teams that the top players like Murray have must cost a fortune to keep on the road!

The £77k (so far) will certainly help. Those massive teams that the top players like Murray have must cost a fortune to keep on the road!
    Spot on.
  • Just shows you how tough this game is. James Ward to me looks a really good player and yet it was only yesterday he broke into the top 100 in the world. His performance in The Davis Cup against John Isner was way above that level but the secret is to reproduce that form week in week out.

That said bloody good luck to him, seems a real nice, grounded lad and I couldn't be more pleased for him. On the subject of his physique you wouldn't call Djokovic muscular in fact he is very lean which is why he is thought to be so flexible.
  • Just shows you how tough this game is. James Ward to me looks a really good player and yet it was only yesterday he broke into the top 100 in the world. His performance in The Davis Cup against John Isner was way above that level but the secret is to reproduce that form week in week out.

That said bloody good luck to him, seems a real nice, grounded lad and I couldn't be more pleased for him. On the subject of his physique you wouldn't call Djokovic muscular in fact he is very lean which is why he is thought to be so flexible.

Men's Tennis is incredibly competitive, Ward has slogged around challenger events in front of 3 men and a dog, trying to get ranking points. Unlike his mate Jacko who has carved out a career at the top of football :-)

Nadal is notably less muscular these days. Is it deliberate, or is he unable to train so much these days?
  • Lost the first set against Pospisil but is already 2-0 up in the second set. Could be a marathon match on Court 1...
  • One set each. :-)

Ward 4-6 6-3 Pospisil

Men's Tennis is incredibly competitive, Ward has slogged around challenger events in front of 3 men and a dog, trying to get ranking points. Unlike his mate Jacko who has carved out a career at the top of football :-)

Nadal is notably less muscular these days. Is it deliberate, or is he unable to train so much these days?
    No more PEDs.
  • Amazing rally! 30 strokes.
  • Double break for Ward in the third set!
  • 2-1 to ward, come on lad