Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

F.I.F.A. really are a bloody joke.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Haven't qualified for a major tournament for over 50 years and yet they're ranked 10th in the world. Laughable.
  • Options
    I take back my post last month that implied that Wales should not be in the world top 10, just because of 1 win over Belgium.

Romania went up from 12th to 8th. Why? Because of a 0-0 draw away to N Ireland (who were 44th and are now 37th).

That is even more absurd.
  • Options
    So lets get this straight. There are still people out there who expect an organisation as risable and corrupt as FIFA to be anything other than the absurd?
  • Options
    OK. Time to wheel out one of Fanny's well loved sayings.....

Pantomime season has started early.
  • Options

I take back my post last month that implied that Wales should not be in the world top 10, just because of 1 win over Belgium.

Romania went up from 12th to 8th. Why? Because of a 0-0 draw away to N Ireland (who were 44th and are now 37th).

I can better that.

USA down 7 places to 33rd ....

after beating Holland and Germany away from home last month and winning their last 5 matches!
  • Options

I can better that.

after beating Holland and Germany away from home last month and winning their last 5 matches!
    Yeah but cmon... they've exposed FIFA for being corrupt bastards... Am surprised they're not even lower in the rankings!!
  • Options

I can better that.

Although I totally agree with you I understand its because friendlies are the weakest points scoring within the system. But with that it mind, how can Chile win the Copa America and not be in the top 10? Perhaps they could award bonus points the further you get within a major tournament.
  • Options
    you do get 'bonus points' the further you go in a tournament due to playing more games,at a higher coefficient,earning more points in the process.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    MrOneLung said:

you do get 'bonus points' the further you go in a tournament due to playing more games,at a higher coefficient,earning more points in the process.

Then that makes it even stranger. It's not as if Chile have done worse than Wales over the last 4 years either. It just doesn't make sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's the "importance" of a match part of the equation that makes a difference. A world cup qualifier is a 2.5, a copa America finals game is 3 and a world cup finals game is 4. Still a load of old cobblers I grant you, but that's why Wales beating Belgium makes such a difference. Also the games played up to the quarter final stage of Brazil 2014 now assume less significance as they are over 12 months ago.
  • Options

It's the "importance" of a match part of the equation that makes a difference. A world cup qualifier is a 2.5, a copa America finals game is 3 and a world cup finals game is 4. Still a load of old cobblers I grant you, but that's why Wales beating Belgium makes such a difference. Also the games played up to the quarter final stage of Brazil 2014 now assume less significance as they are over 12 months ago.

Well that's where its wrong then. How can a major tournament like the Copa America be only 0.5 more than a WC qualifier.
  • Options
    IA said:

If you did a Charlton Life survey you would probably get a more accurate top 10.

... in the opinion of Charlton Life members...
    No - based on reality
  • Options
    "A team’s total number of points over a four-year period is determined by adding the average number of points gained from matches during the past 12 months and the average number of points gained from matches older than 12 months (depreciates yearly)."

It's just as much about what results are dropping out from 4 years ago than the results taking place now.
  • Options
    However you analyse it, Wales being in the world's top ten can't be justified on objective criteria. But this is FIFA we are talking about, so maybe the Welsh FA found a few pounds down the back of a sofa.
  • Options

However you analyse it, Wales being in the world's top ten can't be justified on objective criteria. But this is FIFA we are talking about, so maybe the Welsh FA found a few pounds down the back of a sofa.

I assume they've made the ranking system that way to stop the usual suspects from Europe and South America dominating the tournament seedings every time, as they used to do. That is not in itself an unworthy objective.

The problem is that it's now too volatile. France have dropped down to 22nd now, because they've only been playing friendlies (and they've lost 3 of the last 4 of these mostly pointless games). Of course, as hosts, they'll be seeded anyway, but France's dramatic nosedive is one reason why Romania and Wales made it into the top 10 and are now World Cup top rank seeds for the qualifiers.