Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Acid Reflux Disease

Not sure you can call this a disease, but have/do any lifers have this problem, be interested in your own solution to it. Never thought much about it until I got it about a month ago. Thought it was just heartburn or indigestion but it's much, much more than that. Any help, suffering in Vancouver.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    Eat more bananas. If you ever have heartburn/acid reflux they're an amazing cure.
  • Options
    Me too. Doctor tells you everything you don't want to hear. Lose weight, stop smoking, no spicy food.

Ideally, eat little and often, rather than eating big meals. Chew your food, properly and drink lots of water.

I take Ranitidine (Zantac) 150mg, 3 times a day. It helps but doesn't stop it happening.

It is worse, when lying down, especially if you have a late meal. I have lots of pillows, so I can prop myself up and the acid won't flow "uphill", so easily.
  • Options

Eat more bananas. If you ever have heartburn/acid reflux they're an amazing cure.

I'll give that a go Kent.

I'm not the greatest lover of bananas....but then again Aniseed Gaviscon is not exactly Borolo either.
  • Options

They don't help me.
  • Options
    Don't eat anything a couple of hours before bed.
  • Options
    Gaviscon does the trick.
  • Options
    Had similar problem which after further investigation was diagnosed as a hiatus hernia. I now take daily antacids and eat/drink normally
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Alcohol and fresh orange juice are the main causes for me (and a fat gut).

Sliced white bread also bloats me. So I avoid that now, because bloating makes your stomach bigger, which opens the passages, for the acid to come out of your stomach.

Spices eg curry/chilli I think also cause problems.

So reduce the above liquids, and/or drink water as well, which I find dilutes the acid.

2 pillows to keep your head up in bed also helps.

Gaviscon gets rid of it, but only for a few hours. So you have to take more.

Basically, if you do the above, things will improve, (but I don't often enough).

NB, I've heard that the acid can lead to throat cancer, so it's not just a small issue, if you have a permanent problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They're one of the few strongly alkaline foods so it rebalances the ph if you're feeling acidic. Obviously you'll probably need something else and see a doctor if it's chronic. But bananas are great if I've been living off rubbish the past few days and I've got heartburn coming on.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Don't eat anything a couple of hours before bed.

And this !
  • Options

Had similar problem which after further investigation was diagnosed as a hiatus hernia. I now take daily antacids and eat/drink normally

Yes, it wouldn't surprise me if I have a hiatus hernia. I believe it is because your stomach is too large, it forces open "the passage" allowing the acid to escape upwards. Shrink your stomach and it will improve.
  • Options
    There are a number of things that can cause acid reflux - If you've had it for a month, speak to your doctor and start getting the possible causes looked at one by one. Hiatus hernia, excess acid production in the stomach (which I have) or structual damage in the throat are a few of the possible issues. Weight, diet and alcohol and caffeine consumption can also cause issues.

I had it pretty bad and It took a number of tests (endoscope down throat and into my stomach, a barium swallow/x-ray, ultrascan of gall bladder) to get a proper diagnosis. It then took a while to get the medicine and dosage right, but I've now been taking Omeprazole (on prescription) for years. Couple that with a sensible diet and a lower alcohol/caffeine/spicy food intake it seems to work. I do get the odd flare up (stress related), but Rennies/Gaviscon do the job when that happens.

Good luck.
  • Options

I suffer with it

Went to the docs and he said I should cut back on beer and curry as this could cause extended bouts of it.

I decided to buy Gaviscon instead.

What can a Glen Campbell song do for heart burn then?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    i suffered from this. eventually had a painless operation, where they tightened up the opening to my stomach with key hole surgery. that was about 12 years ago, haven't had a problem since.

i suppose i should add, i stopped drinking alcohol 10 years ago%(<<
  • Options
    brogib said:

I suffer with it

Went to the docs and he said I should cut back on beer and curry as this could cause extended bouts of it.

I would think its a lot more effective for insomnia.
  • Options
    If you have persistent acid reflux see your doctor as in some cases it can progress to Barrets disease. My sister had this and later it developed to osophegeal cancer . Don't take chances .
  • Options

If you have persistent acid reflux see your doctor as in some cases it can progress to Barrets disease. My sister had this and later it developed to osophegeal cancer . Don't take chances .

Agreed ... My ex used to wake in the night choking and gasping for air turned out it was Barrets. She had surgery which prevent the acid leaving the stomach.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When I'm over a certain weight and eating late at night (the two are connected), particularly sugary and fatty stuff, I get major problems. Getting into a cycle of Zantac and Gaviscom is a bad idea. Eventually I have to ride it out for a few days.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Agreed ... My ex used to wake in the night choking and gasping for air turned out it was Barrets. She had surgery which prevent the acid leaving the stomach.
    So, Mr Dick's wife used to wake up in the middle of the night choking and gasping for air? Mmmm
  • Options
    I always keep an emergancy pack of Actimol in the fridge for this reason
  • Options
    ...or this on me YouTube playlist

Sir Glen Campbell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTbTHlTmDX8
  • Options
    I stopped drinking alcohol completely. Also cut out all fizzy drinks and fruit juices. Seems those were the main issues for me. Still get gripes occasionally but much better than it was.
  • Options

There are a number of things that can cause acid reflux - If you've had it for a month, speak to your doctor and start getting the possible causes looked at one by one. Hiatus hernia, excess acid production in the stomach (which I have) or structual damage in the throat are a few of the possible issues. Weight, diet and alcohol and caffeine consumption can also cause issues.

I had it pretty bad and It took a number of tests (endoscope down throat and into my stomach, a barium swallow/x-ray, ultrascan of gall bladder) to get a proper diagnosis. It then took a while to get the medicine and dosage right, but I've now been taking Omeprazole (on prescription) for years. Couple that with a sensible diet and a lower alcohol/caffeine/spicy food intake it seems to work. I do get the odd flare up (stress related), but Rennies/Gaviscon do the job when that happens.

Good luck.

This. Omeprazole is what the doc will prescribe, Gaviscon will do a very decent job if it's not chronic (and will be the doc's first suggestion, along with improving diet).

My doc also said to me, you need to cut out alcohol, stop smoking, avoid dairy and avoid citrus. He must have seen the look on my face, so suggested I choose one and go for it.

I miss lemons...
  • Options
    brogib said:

I suffer with it

By the time he gets to Phoenix it'll have passed

• Options
    Like others, Gaviscon for immediate relief.
    Carried the tablet form around in my pocket for a few years for emergencies!
    I found work related stress was making my problem worse - sometimes I was so hyped up and tense, not chewing food properly and my throat muscles would sometimes spasm and I would have chest pains extending to my back and could barely swallow or breathe.
    Change of job reduced the stress - couple that with relaxing and making sure I chewed my food properly and dieting and excercising for long enough to get my stomach down a bit.
    Rarely get it at all now
  • Options
    If all of the above remedies are not bad enough. Get some exercise, especially after meals (not too soon and just a brisk walk).
  • Options
    My daughter, 3 years old now, had this when she was born.
    Glad it got diagnosed early, because it seems horrible.
    We used to have to syringe ranitidine and domperidone into her mouth several times a day, until she was about 2.