Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Insurance Category C vehicles

Would you consider buying an insurance category c vehicle? Or, have you bought one? If so, did you have any problems with it?

Comments

• Options
    They have to pass a pretty stringent engineers test so would probably be safe enough. However, the re-sale price would be much lower than book price.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    As I expect you know, Cat Cs are write-offs not because they are unrepairable but because the repairs would cost more than the value of the vehicle.

But I've nicked this extract from the RAC web site which explains it quite well:

For example, if you were to have a tiny bump in a used executive saloon that featured parking and radar guided cruise control sensors in its bumpers, the cost of these parts might outweigh the price of the second-hand vehicle itself – even though no structural damage has been caused.

This is why surprisingly lightly damaged cars get written off under the Category C rules.

The same web site suggests that a Cat C can be just as roadworthy as a previously undamaged car if repaired by a competent dealer. But it goes on to suggest that a prospective purchaser should get an independent inspection to warrant the repair.

So, it can be ok. Would I buy one? No.

Edited to add: I believe the DVLA require a VIC (Vehicle Identity Check) to be done for Cat Cs before they will issue a V5C. There's a fee and it might delay getting the vehicle on to the road.
  • Options
    And then you have to try and get it insured...
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Yes, no problem buying Cat C but I would need to know who did the repairs and then check with them what was done.
    You then as MrOne says, need to check with your insurer as many companies wont insure Cat C's for some bizarre reason (they have after all been checked as roadworthy)
  • Options
    Personally no, I've seen the dodgy repair jobs on some Cat Cs.

D, maybe.
  • Options

D, maybe.

Why consider a "D" instead of a "C", I thought they are both "write-offs" that could need minor - medium repair?
  • Options

D, maybe.

Why consider a "D" instead of a "C", I thought they are both "write-offs" that could need minor - medium repair?
    The D repairs can be a lot more minor - a Cat D's repairs don't exceed the vehicle's value (it's the pre-accident value minus the salvage value it exceeds), a Cat C does.

It would depend on the damage with either - avoid anything that could have had less visible damage rather than just bodywork.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    At the very least I'd request the VIC check before buying.
  • Options

I had a Cat D but only as I knew the history. Was my sons Mondeo, he'd only had it close to a year before somebody hit the side. Needed two new doors and a very tiny wheel arch ding sorting. Insurance co wrote it off. He bought it back for £500 after they'd weighed him out around 2.5k. I got two doors from a scrappy and found somebody to fit them and spray the side of the motor for another 500 or so. He ran it for a while then I bought it for £500 and ran it for a while and only flogged it on (for another 500) as the clutch was starting to go and the cost of that outweighted the value of the car to me.

If I knew the full details of what had happened to a C or D then I'd have another.