Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ginger Baker documentary

2»

Comments

• Options
    Met him once through work and he was a tosser. Doesn't mean he isn't a brilliant drummer but anyway.
  • Options

Not a great fan of the drums, but what a 'natural' musician. A great documentary that won awards a couple of years ago. The section when he was doing 'play-offs' with other legendary drummers was fascinating and the way he described the experience enthralled me. He said any drummers worth their salt would make their sound blend as one.
    The other obvious wonderment is how the fella has longevity after doing himself so much damage.
    Wonder where in Lewisham he hailed from?

Which part of Lewisham?, you ask. Ginger was born in Lewisham Hospital in 1939 and brought up in Eltham. As a teenager he wanted to be a racing cyclist, but was soon carting his drums on the bus to Soho jazz clubs where he 'sat in' and got his chops.

As a drummer myself, Ginger Baker was my hero. There's another documentary film about him, made a year or two ago: 'Beware of Mr Baker', which opens with him breaking the film director's nose with a blow from his stick. I attended the premiere at the Curzon, Shaftesbury Avenue, which was followed by a Q & A session with the man himself. It was truly embarrassing: he was rude to the interviewer, ignored questions from the audience, obviously simply didn't want to be there. At the earliest opportunity he cut it short and scuttled off; I followed, and found him on the pavement outside, having a fag.

I had my copy of his autobiography, 'Hellraiser', ready for his signature: "Excuse me, Mr Baker, would you kindly sign..." He barked "No", turned his back and stomped off down Shaftesbury Avenue. What a bastard, eh! I mean: how can a man refuse to sign his autobiography? The punter behind me clocked all this and said sympathetically "Nice try", to which I said I suppose it was a relief that the old sod didn't beat me up.

The documentary you mention is the one shown this week.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

For me Ginger Baker was one the best drummers I have ever seen/heard his roots are primarily Jazz and he bought that swing to everything he has ever done. Saw him with Airforce and also The Baker Gurvitz Army (Ginger seems to like military references) both times he was astonishing. Because he was such a different kind of drummer I don't think comparisons with John Bonham and Keith Moos are either fair or relevant.

But certainly he came from that generation of UK drummers who were basically Jazzers who turned to blues/rock which would include Charlie Watts and the great John Heisman amongst many.

That said he has never in his life been a nice man but sometimes that is how genius shows itself

exactly .. Baker had/has natural 'swing' and is a 'melodic drummer', his work always seemed so effortless, brain and body in total agreement as to what is going on .. sorry @seth plum .. I take the totally opposite view, Bonham, though terrific in the Led Zep environment was a butcher of a drummer, I don't feel that he could have played in any other band, the same really goes for Keith Moon, terrific but limited .. Baker, to me was a consummate drummer, any style, superb timing, an innate feeling for music as an entity, as @daveaddick writes .. his 'swing' .. and Duke Ellington was right on the money .. 'It Don't Mean a Thing if it Aint Got That Swing'
  • Options
    Great story!

So rare that the heroes you meet are ok people.

At least with Ginger you know what you're getting!

No meet and greet with Ginger!

• Options
    As Viewfinder knows, I'm also a drummer who plays/rehearses regularly, and I wouldn't describe Bonham as a 'butcher of a drummer.' I see him more as a funk drummer in a rock setting. His bass-drum technique alone was incredible and I, for one, could see him, had he survived, in a James Brown-style raw funk setting outside of Led Zeppelin. But then my two absolute favourite drummers are Clyde Stubblefield and Jabo Starks. It's all about the ghost notes...
  • Options
    A few quotes from Jay Bulger on Twitter following the showing of the film; explaining what happened after Ginger broke his nose:

After he broke my nose, his wife called the cops on me, who watched the video and then asked if I wanted to press charges. I ain't a snitch

— BULGER (@jaybulger) July 8, 2015

His wife then round up a posse of farm workers with sharp objects in the Range and pursued me to my house where she tried to stab me

Got in the car, drove to police station where gang followed as she proceeded to smash my window with large rock that just nearly missed head

Fled Capetown. As my friend Syd Kitchen told me the following day in Durban- "SA ain't for sissies." RIP Syd

I got shitfaced every night at the bush pub to forget about my days worth of abuse. Ginger would yell at me in morning for letting dogs out

There were 6 of them and they would spend their evenings hunting as a pack for Emu in gang war with the baboons.

Gingers wife offered some of the locals 10k to make me disappear. I drove to their house with brandy and we got drunk.

I had a blast.

Rock'n'Roll!
  • Options

Which part of Lewisham?, you ask. Ginger was born in Lewisham Hospital in 1939 and brought up in Eltham. As a teenager he wanted to be a racing cyclist, but was soon carting his drums on the bus to Soho jazz clubs where he 'sat in' and got his chops.

As a drummer myself, Ginger Baker was my hero. There's another documentary film about him, made a year or two ago: 'Beware of Mr Baker', which opens with him breaking the film director's nose with a blow from his stick. I attended the premiere at the Curzon, Shaftesbury Avenue, which was followed by a Q & A session with the man himself. It was truly embarrassing: he was rude to the interviewer, ignored questions from the audience, obviously simply didn't want to be there. At the earliest opportunity he cut it short and scuttled off; I followed, and found him on the pavement outside, having a fag.

I had my copy of his autobiography, 'Hellraiser', ready for his signature: "Excuse me, Mr Baker, would you kindly sign..." He barked "No", turned his back and stomped off down Shaftesbury Avenue. What a bastard, eh! I mean: how can a man refuse to sign his autobiography? The punter behind me clocked all this and said sympathetically "Nice try", to which I said I suppose it was a relief that the old sod didn't beat me up.

Viewfinder, would that have been a "nautical gait" or was he just being "deroga tree"?
  • Options
    Incidentally, Ginger has returned from South Africa. He's living in a bungalow just outside Whitstable. Yes, really.
  • Options
    Got some more gigs coming up too.....not sure the more Jazzy stuff is really my thing though.

http://www.songkick.com/artists/8566-ginger-baker
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Just got round to seeing this. Great film. I knew very little about him because Cream is well before my time but i'm glad i know a little bit more now.
    Yes he's an arse hole and yes he's unstable but what a drummer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What's the difference between a Drum Machine and a Drummer?.
  • Options
    Halix said:

What's the difference between a Drum Machine and a Drummer?.

You only have to punch the information into the drum machine once
  • Options
    Interviewer- " Is Ringo the best drummer in the world?"
    John Lennon- "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles".