Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UFC Thread

Comments

• Options
    Which unfortunately was tweeted on April 1st JBJ time. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Jones nganou isnt as big as fury wilder 2! 

The non-ppv money cones from all the other revenue streams sponsors etc which obviously has more reach than jones nganou. 
  • Options
    That was some show. Can't think of another event with 5 finishes.
  • Options
    Weidman's leg break was horrific.
  • Options
    Usman is a beast, wiping out almost the entire top ranked welterweight guys.

Woodley, dos Anjos, Maia, Burns, Masvidal twice and Covington.

Anyone left for him?
  • Options

Anyone left for him?
    Only really Wonderboy left out of the top ranked fighters now. 
  • Options

Anyone left for him?
    I think he might be too old now, he's getting on for 40 and he's been pretty inactive recently (one fight in the last 18 months). Have to see how he does against Burns.

Other than him it's probably a rematch with Covington or consider moving up?
  • Options

Anyone left for him?
    I think he might be too old now, he's getting on for 40 and he's been pretty inactive recently (one fight in the last 18 months). Have to see how he does against Burns.

Other than him it's probably a rematch with Covington or consider moving up?
    I think it will be Covington next then I wouldn't be shocked if he retires. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weidman's leg break was horrific.
    Indeed. Wish I wasn't eating my breakfast when I saw that!
  • Options

Anyone left for him?
    In a word, no. Covington rematch is probably next, hopefully a more emphatic finish this time!

Quite a few divisions have a champion miles ahead of the rest, including three of the four female divisions.  
  • Options
    Usman is absurdly impressive. His striking has come on so, so much over the last few fights. The footwork and angles is substantially better, and shots like that demonstrate it. 

Hard to see anyone beating him at WW, and I think I'd bet on him over the vast majority of MW too.
  • Options
    Can't stand the bloke but he makes some fair points, even if i'm a bit sceptical of how much he allegedly made from the Askren fight. Be interesting to see the official figures as so far i think there's only his word on the PPV numbers.

I can't believe there are over 1m idiots who would've paid $50 to watch that.
  • Options
    Usman was impressive but Valentina is so far ahead of the curve as well - people can't touch her standing but her wrestling and clinch takedowns are a thing of beauty.
  • Options
    Nobody does that to Jorge Masvidal, who deserves massive credit for taking a rematch i think he had zero chance of winning. Usman completely dominated him in the first fight, granted on short notice 
  • Options
    What a night... Loved it.
  • Options
    Really good event (Weidman aside). Agree on Usman though I thought he was more impressive against Burns, after that first bit of grappling against Masvidal he looked a bit sluggish and started throwing those wild bombs. Don't get me wrong the KO was amazing just wasn't the most polished performance from him compared to last time out, he really does look like the complete package now and has managed to completely move away from fans calling him boring to one of the biggest starts in the UFC.

Just a point on Weidman, I thought it was disgusting they decided to show the replay of it, TWICE! On top of that you have Dana posting it on socials and they're hyping Hall for winning without throwing a punch. We know they don't care about fighters or their welfare but come on someone needs to have some small amount of decency.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Really good event (Weidman aside). Agree on Usman though I thought he was more impressive against Burns, after that first bit of grappling against Masvidal he looked a bit sluggish and started throwing those wild bombs. Don't get me wrong the KO was amazing just wasn't the most polished performance from him compared to last time out, he really does look like the complete package now and has managed to completely move away from fans calling him boring to one of the biggest starts in the UFC.

Just a point on Weidman, I thought it was disgusting they decided to show the replay of it, TWICE! On top of that you have Dana posting it on socials and they're hyping Hall for winning without throwing a punch. We know they don't care about fighters or their welfare but come on someone needs to have some small amount of decency.
    The social media comment from fans on the Weidman incident were far more respectful than UFC's social media post. WTF?

Adesanya defending against Vettori next as Whitaker doesn't want to fight until September. 😕

As for Jake Paul, saying fighters are underpaid is hardly revolutionary. We were discussing it on here recently. Other than that no decent points were raised.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In terms of jake paul, the youtubers make more boxing than most elite level boxers as well. All demand. 
  • Options
    Madness that he was in this condition and still 3lbs over, wtf were his team thinking?! Sensibly the fight has been called off but if you need to get into this state and are still over then surely just move up a weight class.

• Options
    Madness that he was in this condition and still 3lbs over, wtf were his team thinking?! Sensibly the fight has been called off but if you need to get into this state and are still over then surely just move up a weight class.

The organisations and regulatory bodies really need to do more about this. I've never understood fighters wanting to cut that much weight, it has to be detrimental to your performance on fight night, your body is effectively shutting down the week of the fight and then 24 hours later you expect it to operate at peak performance. It's dumb but unless they are forced to stop doing it these scenes will continue.
  • Options
    What a main event!

How good would Oliveira v Khabib have been?
  • Options
    Jesus Christ that main event had me screaming (although not as much as the Souza fight!).

You have to watch the whole of the first round to fully appreciate the second round...
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Easily one of the best first rounds I've ever seen, how often do you see both fighters close to being finished for such a long period like that in the first round? Crazy

Then the second round 10 second job. Feel for Chandler as he genuinely fought incredible in that first round to come back from a horrendous spot against one of the best on the ground and nearly get the tko, but that's the fight game and Charles is a savage.

Unfortunately Ferguson is a spent force, gutted. He looked so weak and feeble out there, time to call it a day for me, KO'd brutally and now dominated for 2 fights on the spin. There's probably your answer to how Tony Vs Khabib would have went 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Easily one of the best first rounds I've ever seen, how often do you see both fighters close to being finished for such a long period like that in the first round? Crazy

Then the second round 10 second job. Feel for Chandler as he genuinely fought incredible in that first round to come back from a horrendous spot against one of the best on the ground and nearly get the tko, but that's the fight game and Charles is a savage.

Unfortunately Ferguson is a spent force, gutted. He looked so week and feeble out there, time to call it a day for me, KO'd brutally and now dominated for 2 fights on the spin. There's probably your answer to how Tony Vs Khabib would have went 
    Definitely feel for Chandler, he will deserve another shot in a year or two if he can put together a bit of a streak.

I haven't been able to find a link to rewatch the fight but I remember feeling at the time that the referee easily could have called the fight for Chandler in round one. Great refereeing that he didn't.

Absolutely amazing fight.

Echo everything you say about Ferguson. 

The "Souza snap" was disgusting.
  • Options
    Ferguson should have tapped to the heel hook, that mentality is why he's in a bad way now. Although he's spent he gets a great reaction so will probably get anothet fight before being released. If he was smart and not a maniac he would retire 
  • Options

Unfortunately Ferguson is a spent force, gutted. He looked so weak and feeble out there, time to call it a day for me, KO'd brutally and now dominated for 2 fights on the spin. There's probably your answer to how Tony Vs Khabib would have went 
    Agree although at the time there were real questions about how Khabib would have coped with the craziness of Ferguson. Hindsight is great but back then many were thinking it was very tough to call. I also felt it was unfair on the comms last night to question his lack of fundamentals. Part of the reason he is so popular and enjoyed so much success in the past was because of the unorthodox technique but then they want to use it as a stick to beat him with when he starts losing. He's old and has had a load of injuries, of course he isn't what he used to be, just felt a bit disrespectful.