Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tennis is boring...

2»

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    That's a mission for Dan Dare.
  • Options
    what's happened to Yum Yum ?
  • Options
    Completely agree with the OP. Tennis is the only sport I won't watch. I find it incredibly boring, it's so stop start, breaks every few minutes and matches last hours. What makes it worse is the amount of hype around Wimbledon when people suddenly become tennis fans for a fortnight each year but then won't watch another match for the other 50 weeks.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Completely agree with the OP. Tennis is the only sport I won't watch. I find it incredibly boring, it's so stop start, breaks every few minutes and matches last hours. What makes it worse is the amount of hype around Wimbledon when people suddenly become tennis fans for a fortnight each year but then won't watch another match for the other 50 weeks.

Yeah, where were they on a wet October night in Oldham?
    Call themselves fans, pah!
  • Options
    All the screaming in the womens matches is unacceptable and makes it unwatchable for a lot of people, whether its dull or not.
  • Options
    +1 to the sentiments of the OP.

Tennis IS boring. I dont watch it. I wouldnt watch it if you paid me tbh. The Mrs had corporate tickets for the Queen's final a few weeks ago and invited me and I said no. 'Wimbledon fortnight' is without doubt the worst two sporting weeks of the calendar. Bates' Bollard, Henman Hill, Murray Mound, what an absolute crock of cack.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of tennis but I enjoy Wimbledon and would love to see a final on centre court.
    Dullest sport ever? cricket by a distance followed by golf and road cycling.
  • Options
    Nope, really enjoy Tennis. Love cricket as well.

Indeed I really don't miss football at all in the summer, I can't get into football until the end of August.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I'm not a fan of tennis but I enjoy Wimbledon and would love to see a final on centre court.
    Dullest sport ever? cricket by a distance followed by golf and road cycling.

Road Cycling is difficult to watch unless you watch the last 10km... Is good excitement watching the Sprints or the attacks up mountains, just watching the peleton or breakaway amble along is boring
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I must admit that I found yesterdays final a disappointment. For me I really miss the old serve and volley at a time when the Yanks and Aussies dominated the game. Actually I found the wheelchair tennis more exciting.
  • Options
    Love tennis and the players are amongst the finest Athletes on the planet there is nowhere to hide on a tennis court. If I was forced to name my all time favourite sportsman I might pick Federer because he is the full package, brilliant at the game, a fantastic role model for kids and a gentleman as well, his career has been phenomenal.

I can see the point that some people make that if it is two big servers with poor return games then it can be a bit dull but that doesn't apply to Djokovic, Federer, Murray or Nadal. I was privileged to see the Borg/Gerulaitis semi final in 1977 live at Wimbledon and if you think tennis is boring check out the recording of the match unbelievable.
  • Options
    brogib said:

I quite like tennis but the Wimbledon crowd is probably the most annoying in sport.

Let's go Andy let's go. Clap clap.
    That made my teeth itch just reading that. Is that what they really sing? ffs
    Why don't they sing something witty and intelligent like The Addams Family Song :)
  • Options
    I get the comments about football - although think that is reserved for the premiership - as you cant odds what is going to happen in the other 3 leagues every year.
    I obviously dont think that cricket could be a boring sport - but admit that its probably a cultural thing - if you're brought up with cricket you generally have a real passion and love for the game.
  • Options

you could have turned it off, watched something else and started a thread about something you do like....

I loved it. You never know who's going to do well or fail at the first hurdle.

Didnt watch a minute of Wimbledon.
    Thats probably one of the 'problems' you just know Djokovic and Williams are gonna win it, and that Murray,Djokovic and Federer will be in the semis
  • Options

you could have turned it off, watched something else and started a thread about something you do like....

Thats probably one of the 'problems' you just know Djokovic and Williams are gonna win it, and that Murray,Djokovic and Federer will be in the semis
    Better not watch Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich in the Champions League then :-)
  • Options

Better not watch Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich in the Champions League then :-)
    Must admit, cant watch Barca - find all that passing around the half way line drives me crazy - someone have a shot on goal ffs.
  • Options
    You watched some Charlton games last season right? Defines boring.
  • Options
    I enjoy tennis, but only when I watch it... as in, if I have it on in the background, it'll pass me by and I won't care - but if I sit down and actually watch it, I get caught up in the drama.

I've never been into rugby or cricket (or any other sports really), but that's not to say I couldn't ever enjoy them. I absolutely HATED football until I was 13, couldn't think of anything worse; wouldn't even stay in the room if my brother was watching it on TV.
    But then my dad got a couple of spare tickets from a mate, and took me to the Valley, covered end, to see Charlton beat West Ham 4-2, and that changed everything.
  • Options

I enjoy tennis, but only when I watch it... as in, if I have it on in the background, it'll pass me by and I won't care - but if I sit down and actually watch it, I get caught up in the drama.

I've never been into rugby or cricket (or any other sports really), but that's not to say I couldn't ever enjoy them. I absolutely HATED football until I was 13, couldn't think of anything worse; wouldn't even stay in the room if my brother was watching it on TV.
    But then my dad got a couple of spare tickets from a mate, and took me to the Valley, covered end, to see Charlton beat West Ham 4-2, and that changed everything.

I loved that game. Robinson destroyed Dicks that night. Definitely one of my top 5 Charlton performances.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't think you should judge any sport until you've seen it live in the flesh. It can really change your perspective on it as sometime TV just cannot do justice for the skill/bravery involved and the atmosphere of a live crown will usually add something to the experience.

If you still don't like it after you've watched it live, then fair enough.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Any sport is interesting if you have money on and beer inside.
  • Options
    I was fortunate to be involved (only as a ballboy) during what I now consider was the golden age of tennis. Players such a Nastase, Connors, McEnroe, Borg, Gerulaitis. Players of that era seemed to have a diversity of shots, of artistry and technique. The game back then was not so dependent on power and physique. Some of the top players such as Eddie Dibbs and Harold Solomon were no more than 5'8" tall, yet were in the worlds top 10. There now seems to be a lack of personalities and far too much emphasis on power.