Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Live Aid - 30th Anniversary

2»

Comments

• Options
    I was there. Brilliant day. Barged through security to shake hands with Bob Geldof at one point.
  • Options
    Ruscombe church, near Twyford.....1pm appointment to get married, followed by a reception at the East Arms at Hurley. Remember watching proceedings in the lull between the afternoon reception and the evening disco, followed by the stuff in Philadelphia.

So yesterday was my 30th wedding anniversary!
  • Options
    Watched it at home in Ayrshire. I moved down here in 86. It was a very big deal. I was a massive dire straits fan and they were absolutely huge in 85. I'd been down to Wembley arena to see them the previous week. The days before you tube so seeing a band live on telly was a big thing. They were great but only played two songs (or was it three?) cos they had to bugger off for their own gig at Wembley arena that evening. Must have been bizarre being at Wembley Arena with the biggest gig in the history of the universe going on a few hundred yards away. I think the thing to remember in these days of whizzy technology and t'internet is that only 30 years ago the world was a much bigger place. The logistics involved in live aid were massive compared to organising a similar event today and a bloke playing here and in the states on the same bilI on the same day was a considerable deal (ironically that was easier then than now as we don't have concord any more)
  • Options

They were great but only played two songs (or was it three?)

You're right, it was two. Money For Nothing (with Sting) and Sultans of Swing.

• Options

MrOneLung said:

. Went down to Anirog on West Hill after Howard Jones to buy Alien8 for ZX Spectrum

That was my best mates dad's computer company - in those days we used to "test drive" some games before they were released tom see if they were any good./Also got him to sponser our football kit one season
    The younger son was my best man. The elder one (presumably your friend) posts on here as Jints.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

MrOneLung said:

. Went down to Anirog on West Hill after Howard Jones to buy Alien8 for ZX Spectrum

That was my best mates dad's computer company - in those days we used to "test drive" some games before they were released tom see if they were any good./Also got him to sponser our football kit one season
    The younger son was my best man. The elder one (presumably your friend) posts on here as Jints.
    * Search for Jints being rude to Golfie and vice versa and highlight*
  • Options
    I was at Roan then, my parents were away on holiday leaving me free to smoke a bit of dope in the courtyard (big house!) with my wife who was then my girlfriend for 51 days with the telly pointed outside later in the evening.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I can now only really remember the really crap bits such as Bob Dylan droning on and on out of tune, and Patti Labelle shrieking away like a pretentious Banshee. Oh and Madonna providing backing vocals, for I think the Thomson Twins?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

MrOneLung said:

funny - the eldest son was my best man !!!
  • Options
    Hope his speech was better than the one he did at his brothers.

'it was an emotional ceremony, even the cake was in tiers'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    30 years on and Ed Sheeran is considered UKs most popular live act in the here and now.

How things have fallen since Queen.
  • Options
    Happy fifth anniversary to the Live Aid thirtieth anniversary thread. 
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMY-wjkTTkM

Footage of The Who's performance of My Generation was finally released last year. It was put together from the main broadcast cameras and a film crew in the crowd. Not the greatest sound but great to see after all these years.

A day I will never forget. 
  • Options
    Now wish I had got tickets. Watched a lot of it at home & taped 3 hours worth on VHS. Missed from around 6pm to 10pm as I (stupidly) went out but was back in time to watch (and tape) Led Zeppelin.......which might now be worth a few bob as their set can not be found anywhere as they group have banned all showings of it - even the official Live Aid box sets dont include.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMY-wjkTTkM

Footage of The Who's performance of My Generation was finally released last year. It was put together from the main broadcast cameras and a film crew in the crowd. Not the greatest sound but great to see after all these years.

A day I will never forget. 
    Also taped their set. Have the first minute of My Generation before it cuts out & re-starts halfway through "Reign o'er Me". Haved watched it countless times.
  • Options
    “I’d like to thank and introduce this band, who got together so quickly to do this show with me.. 
    I am forever in their debt”
     “I’d like to do a song for my son, all our children, and the children of the world.”

Pure class from Bowie. 
  • Options
    “I’d like to thank and introduce this band, who got together so quickly to do this show with me.. 
    I am forever in their debt”
     “I’d like to do a song for my son, all our children, and the children of the world.”

Pure class from Bowie. 
    Plus cutting his set short to show the video of the famine set to Drive by The Cars
  • Options
    Now wish I had got tickets. Watched a lot of it at home & taped 3 hours worth on VHS. Missed from around 6pm to 10pm as I (stupidly) went out but was back in time to watch (and tape) Led Zeppelin.......which might now be worth a few bob as their set can not be found anywhere as they group have banned all showings of it - even the official Live Aid box sets dont include.
    I bet you've got the bit where the Who's set loses connection & it comes back half way through Reign O'er me......followed by an agitated Pete Townsend telling a minion that they WERE going to play a 3rd number (shouting off-set Yes, Yes, Yes)

:wink: 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I bet you've got the bit where the Who's set loses connection & it comes back half way through Reign O'er me......followed by an agitated Pete Townsend telling a minion that they WERE going to play a 3rd number (shouting off-set Yes, Yes, Yes)

They also played on Pinball Wizard
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Yep.....got it all. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    was back in time to watch (and tape) Led Zeppelin.......which might now be worth a few bob as their set can not be found anywhere as they group have banned all showings of it - even the official Live Aid box sets dont include.
    It wasn't that bad, well maybe .....
  • Options
    I recorded most of Grandstand that day while working on my car, no Sky Q in them days.
    I then went round friends to watch the Americans have a go at putting on a gig, I fell asleep.
    Not surprisingly I only found out Led Zeppelin were crap some years later. 
  • Options
    I didnt, and still dont, think it was that bad. Never saw them live mind, but what I have seen on YouTube etc dont appear to be miles ahead of what they produced that evening. 

• Options
    Riviera said:
    It's today and very little coverage. The BBC love to commemorate things and I can't see anything on BBC1,2,3 or 4 tonight. Where were you? I was playing cricket against The Mote CC and because Kent were playing at Mote Park we (Blackheath 2nd XI) got to play at The St Lawrence Ground which was a great experience. Ended up in Blakes that night in Eltham, formally the Kings Arms and now long gone. Probably had a curry at the Luna, now Spice Island.
    Oddly enough, I was at Mote Park watching Kent from the beer tent. I’d completely forgotten about the gig until I left after the game. Watched some of it in some random pub.