Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Carl Froch bows out

Carlos announced his retirement today, hardly a suprise

His career should be remembered for taking on contenders and champions constantly for the last 6 years.

He was largely overlooked for most of his career up until the latter stages of the super six tournament which pitted him against the best super-middleweights of the time. The tournament also handed him his only 2 defeats. A contentious decision which could be argued either way against Mikkel Kessler and a total shutout against one of the best fighters on the earth Andre Ward.

Whilst he isn't everyone's cup of tea he finished his career on the biggest high imaginable in stopping a very decent and dangerous George Groves at Wembley in a rematch of a very fortuitous event against Groves 7 months previous.

I'll always have respect for his bottle, heart and desire to not be beaten. His personality is not a good one but I don't think he has ever been comfortable giving soundbites or has the quick-wit to engage in amusing banter.

Chin of granite, fought them all and represented British boxing very well

Comments

• WSS said:

Carter said:

Whilst he isn't everyone's cup of tea he finished his career on the biggest high imaginable in stopping a very decent and dangerous George Groves at Wembley in a rematch of a very fortuitous event against Groves 7 months previous.

News to me - you'd have thought he would have spoken about this match more.

Do you know how many people it was in front of?

Hahaha beat me to it!

• To be honest, not a real Die Hard boxing fan but the Groves Froch fight was the fight Id looked forward to the most for years, the build up, the banter, AND the actual fight was decent IMO, a top fight that wasn't a bore fest or controversial and was finished by a top punch.
    I was Team Groves but for that but Froch played a massive part in the build etc so for that thanks.
  • What a last punch to end on too.
  • I thought he was going to fight that GGG fella at Wembley.
  • A great fighter who will go down as one of Britain's best but will probably remembered for his strange personality (taking everything very personally and believing that he was better than he actually was) and constant contradictions (check out youtube). I think when we look back there won't be a comparison with Calzaghe.

He should've retired after the Groves fight (Who really god cobraed?!), again personality probably prevented that although perhaps he did have a Vegas dream, which he claims was then extinguished as he didn't enjoy the hype around Mayweather V Pacquiao (?!). I never thought the GGG fight would've occurred at that Stage of Froch's career, I think he would've taken it on earlier in his career and it would've been interested. That and stating that a fight against Degale didn't interest him really showed that the writing was on the wall a long time again. A strange end to a strange individual out of the ring but that punch to Groves was a fitting ending to a great boxer in it, overall very fitting.
  • Boring boxer carried by a great chin, but no one can a question his bottle. Proper fighter. Was hoping to see him vs DeGale but ah well.
  • Boring boxer carried by a great chin, but no one can a question his bottle. Proper fighter. Was hoping to see him vs DeGale but ah well.

I'm not Froch,s biggest fan as a person by a long way. I find him extremely arrogant & self indulged BUT, to say he's a boring boxer is 1 of the most unfair & untrue things ever said on this forum
  • Shame he's an absolute div.
  • Loved watching Froch. Great spirit and determination. Don't think he was in the same class as Benn or others from that golden era but never hid,
    I hope he has a fruitful retirement and puts something back into a great sport.
  • Sponsored links:

I'm not Froch,s biggest fan as a person by a long way. I find him extremely arrogant & self indulged BUT, to say he's a boring boxer is 1 of the most unfair & untrue things ever said on this forum
    It's just an opinion, I don't like the way he boxes and I don't like his personality.
  • edited July 2015

Boring boxer carried by a great chin, but no one can a question his bottle. Proper fighter. Was hoping to see him vs DeGale but ah well.

you don't come on here much do you? :wink:
  • the end of a great career and the mark of a real champion .. knowing when it's time to go ... Froch was no stylist, just a mean and tough warrior .. hope he has a happy time spending all his well earned dosh
  • edited July 2015
    Biggest shame about him retiring is boxing fans have to listen to the nobend waffle on sky sports about himself and how great he was.

He done it enough before he retired but now it will be at an unbearable regularity.
  • He was a good boxer, but one of the greats? Not so sure. If he was around the Benn, Eubank or Calzaghe (in his prime) era, then he wouldn't have faired very well. He made a decent career out of his chin and warrior mentality, it's just a shame he is a gobshite and blew his own trumpet far too often.
  • Really enjoyed watching Froch fight, you always knew it was going to be an entertaining fight with him in the ring.

Froch v Pascal is still my favourite fight of his although Bute and Groves I runs it close.

Personally thought he lost to Dirrell and then the losses to Ward and an old Kessler put him below Calzaghe for me. But at least he had the bottle to go to the states and fight under 40s unlike Joe.

Good that he retired now tbh, the only fight out there realistically was GGG and Froch had no chance.
  • i think Froch is a mix between a Germanic warrior fighter in the days of the roman gladiator arenas and a bouncer of a mediocre club in a northern outpost, probably Wigan.

he could take a punch mainly cos he had to due to his technique of continually moving forward into the other fighter rather than using skill.
    his stoppage against Taylor was for me his best moment. after that with groves and all the talk it started to feel like he had been hanging around with that twat Haye . and like him he will no doubt be on our tv sets chatting to other ex boxers who on the most part seem to have been hit in the head too many times to come up with a truthful or knowledgeable comment.
  • Definitely not an all time great. Very average boxer from a technical standpoint who (and I'm not knocking it) made a very decent career from being able to take punches that other boxers couldn't.

Very unlikeable and deludedly arrogant individual though so I'm not sorry he's called it a day. Froch will think he's a bigger loss to the boxing world than he actually is.

Shame we never got to see the Calzaghe match-up but I'm pretty confident Joe would have beaten Froch in the end.

The one thing you have to say for Froch is that he always fought the best. You can't really accuse him of ducking anyone so from a fans' perspective, that's an admirable trait. Still a bellpiece though.
  • edited July 2015

Boring boxer carried by a great chin, but no one can a question his bottle. Proper fighter. Was hoping to see him vs DeGale but ah well.

you don't come on here much do you? :wink:
    On the contrary. I think my vast over exaggeration proves I come on this site far too often! :smile:
  • i think Froch is a mix between a Germanic warrior fighter in the days of the roman gladiator arenas and a bouncer of a mediocre club in a northern outpost, probably Wigan.

he could take a punch mainly cos he had to due to his technique of continually moving forward into the other fighter rather than using skill.
    his stoppage against Taylor was for me his best moment. after that with groves and all the talk it started to feel like he had been hanging around with that twat Haye . and like him he will no doubt be on our tv sets chatting to other ex boxers who on the most part seem to have been hit in the head too many times to come up with a truthful or knowledgeable comment.

Him and David haye were both in the England squad as amateurs and are still mates. Difference is Hate has the emotional intelligence not to take every criticism personally. Carl doesn't unfortunately, hence how daft he can come across when he opens his mouth.

The if's and buts with Calzaghe are irrelevant, they didn't fight so that's that.

The Taylor fight epitomised Carl Froch's career in a way. Got out boxed and used his face as his defence but firmed it out and still had the minerals to stop him. As much as it pains me to say it the same applies to the 2 Groves fights.
  • Sponsored links:

• Carl gave great vfm was a great fighter and a great professional,

Get the feeling he will fight again but who knows for sure
  • Carter said:

i think Froch is a mix between a Germanic warrior fighter in the days of the roman gladiator arenas and a bouncer of a mediocre club in a northern outpost, probably Wigan.

Him and David haye were both in the England squad as amateurs and are still mates. Difference is Hate has the emotional intelligence not to take every criticism personally. Carl doesn't unfortunately, hence how daft he can come across when he opens his mouth.

The if's and buts with Calzaghe are irrelevant, they didn't fight so that's that.

The Taylor fight epitomised Carl Froch's career in a way. Got out boxed and used his face as his defence but firmed it out and still had the minerals to stop him. As much as it pains me to say it the same applies to the 2 Groves fights.
    I think you're playing down Froch's ability. The set up for the Groves KO involved a lot of skill and I don't think he used his face as a defence that much in the second fight.
  • Carter said:

i think Froch is a mix between a Germanic warrior fighter in the days of the roman gladiator arenas and a bouncer of a mediocre club in a northern outpost, probably Wigan.

I think you're playing down Froch's ability. The set up for the Groves KO involved a lot of skill and I don't think he used his face as a defence that much in the second fight.
    Left hand lead for a big right? That's basic stuff although perfectly executed. If groves hadn't of thrown a silly left hook that wasn't troubling Froch chances are he'd have caught it.

And Groves was landing freely with jabs. Not so much in the second fight and Froch has always fought with his face
  • Froch was an absolute warrior and so much better a boxer than opinions on here realise. What he put his body through to achieve what he did does not deserve some of the comments posted, agree this is a site where all can pen an opinion but surely respect for his achievements outweigh his supposed failings. Great man, warrior, boxer and Englishman.
  • Froch is a warrior shame not to see him fight again. Glad he knocked that groves out.
  • edited July 2015
    Matter of time before he feels he is fading and either makes a return to fighting or ends up in the big brother house or i'm a celebrity.
  • Lost a lot of respect for him over the past year in his desperation to be respected and found him quite embarrassing to listen to... a very insecure guy for all his achievements. Would of loved to see him and Benn get it on in their prime

Check out Nigel Benn only a few months ago http://youtu.be/HgTU-OmY-rk
  • edited July 2015
    Froch would have been a fantastic addition to that era. I absolutely loved watching Nigel Benn. Still him v Mcllelland is the best fight I've ever seen
  • Carter said:

Froch would have been a fantastic addition to that era. I absolutely loved watching Niger Benn. Still him v Mcllelland is the best fight I've ever seen

If that fight hadn't had the terrible ending it did, they would show that fight over and over. The best fight I have ever seen too.