Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

GAA

Comments

• Options
    Damn just seen the score. Well done Kerry. Back to the sniping on the takeover thread.
  • Options
    Brilliant Kerry. Pathetic Cork.
    Hope Kerry can build on this and match the Dubs.
  • Options
    Donegal looking quite impressive today.

Theresa May take note...

This is what happens to those favoured by Arlene.
  • Options
    Arlene Foster's Green and White Army! In fairness, fair play to her.
  • Options
    She is inclined, eventually, to do something that would have been good PR about three years too late (I expect her to stand aside for the RHI inquiry in another 18 months or so)….
  • Options

She is inclined, eventually, to do something that would have been good PR about three years too late (I expect her to stand aside for the RHI inquiry in another 18 months or so)….

I think she’s hoping the ashes will have blown away by then...
  • Options
    iainment said:

Conflicted this evening. Munster SFC Final or World Cup.

Probably will watch Kerry hopefully brush Cork to one side. But with am eye or ear on the Sweden Germany game.

Ciarrai abu!

I was in a bar in Cork watching the World Cup. The Kerry game was on every screen bar two but no one was watching it. I had a look at the score every so often and couldn't believe they went an entire 35 minutes without scoring. England scored as many times against Panama as Cork did against Kerry! I'm not a Gaelic Football fan at all (I'll be in Thurles for next Sundays Munster Hurling Final) and there's relatively little love for the sport in Cork but I find it hard to believe they are that bad.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

iainment said:

Probably will watch Kerry hopefully brush Cork to one side. But with am eye or ear on the Sweden Germany game.

Ciarrai abu!

I was in a bar in Cork watching the World Cup. The Kerry game
    el-pietro said:

iainment said:

Ciarrai abu!

I was in a bar in Cork watching the World Cup. The Kerry game was on every screen bar two but no one was watching it. I had a look at the score every so often and couldn't believe they went an entire 35 minutes without scoring. England scored as many times against Panama as Cork did against Kerry! I'm not a Gaelic Football fan at all (I'll be in Thurles for next Sundays Munster Hurling Final) and there's relatively little love for the sport in Cork but I find it hard to believe they are that bad.
    When I worked in Co Cork they all loved football. But then they had a good team that was getting to All Ireland Finals.
    Not so much love for football recently as the Cork team gets weaker and weaker.
    Admittedly hurling was much the more popular even then.
  • Options
    iainment said:

el-pietro said:

iainment said:

Ciarrai abu!

el-pietro said:

iainment said:

Ciarrai abu!

When I worked in Co Cork they all loved football. But then they had a good team that was getting to All Ireland Finals.
    We love a winning team and will get behind any decent side but Football has always flagged behind Hurling. In West Cork you'd get much more support for them to be fair.

There were 28k at the Munster final which is a decent turn out. There were 35k for the most recent Hurling game in the same stadium and that wasn't a final. Tickets for the Hurling final sold out pretty quickly afaik and that game is an hour up the road in a stadium that holds an extra 10k. This isn't an especially good hurling side either. They might win Munster but they'll do nothing in the All Ireland.
  • Options
    Kerry knocked out in the football (during the World Cup Final) and Kilkenny in the hurling today.

It's hard to see beyond Dublin (who walloped Donegal yesterday) for the football, something that it pains this Tyrone man to say, due to weight of numbers and home advantage.

While Galway may have the best chance in the hurling, things still look more interesting than the football, with any of the remaining teams more than capable of going all the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed it because of the WC Final.

Sounds like Kerry were very poor. They can still get to the sf but Galway must be very confident now.
  • Options
    Limerick will take great heart from that Kilkenny game, especially the way they closed it out. The Cats are in transition at the moment, but that was still impressive. Galway probably should win, but wouldn’t rule any of the final four out just yet.
  • Options

Kerry knocked out in the football (during the World Cup Final) and Kilkenny in the hurling today.

It's hard to see beyond Dublin (who walloped Donegal yesterday) for the football, something that it pains this Tyrone man to say, due to weight of numbers and home advantage.

While Galway may have the best chance in the hurling, things still look more interesting than the football, with any of the remaining teams more than capable of going all the way.

I like the look of Tyrone this year.
    This Ulster girl (Cavan) will be getting right behind them.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

iainment said:

el-pietro said:

iainment said:

Ciarrai abu!

el-pietro said:

iainment said:

Ciarrai abu!

We love a winning team and will get behind any decent side but Football has always flagged behind Hurling. In West Cork you'd get much more support for them to be fair.

There were 28k at the Munster final which is a decent turn out. There were 35k for the most recent Hurling game in the same stadium and that wasn't a final. Tickets for the Hurling final sold out pretty quickly afaik and that game is an hour up the road in a stadium that holds an extra 10k. This isn't an especially good hurling side either. They might win Munster but they'll do nothing in the All Ireland.
    In the four years Ive lived in West Cork (Baltimore) I find the locals get behind their own local GAA rather than the County and then far more behind Munster in the rugby.
  • Options

Maxima mea culpa, I'd forgotten about the new Super 8 format (an abomination, along the lines of the Champions League, for which I blame the malign influence of Sky). So Kerry still have a chance.

I still believe, however, that Dublin will have the upper hand. And, much as would like to share the enthusiasm of @KBslittlesis, I think Tyrone are some way off, I think that they and Donegal will play each other to a standstill, but Donegal will get through along with Dublin (barring a big win for Tyrone at Healy Park this Saturday evening) - of the Ulster teams Monaghan have as good a chance as any, and it they beat Kerry on Sunday in Clones, the Kingdom is done.
  • Options

Maxima mea culpa, I'd forgotten about the new Super 8 format (an abomination, along the lines of the Champions League, for which I blame the malign influence of Sky). So Kerry still have a chance.

I still believe, however, that Dublin will have the upper hand. And, much as would like to share the enthusiasm of @KBslittlesis, I think Tyrone are some way off, I think that they and Donegal will play each other to a standstill, but Donegal will get through along with Dublin (barring a big win for Tyrone at Healy Park this Saturday evening) - of the Ulster teams Monaghan have as good a chance as any, and it they beat Kerry on Sunday in Clones, the Kingdom is done.
    If Kerry get to the sf it'll probably, now, be against the Dubs.

FSM help us. But if you want Sam you have go beat them I suppose.

Ciarrai abu!

• Options
    It's sad that the GAA have refused to allow the Liam Miller testimonial match a tPáirc Uí Chaoimh.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/liam-miller-testimonial-sells-out-in-minutes-as-pressure-grows-on-gaa-over-pirc-u-chaoimh-snub-37138863.html
  • Options
    The GAA board are hated by nearly every Irish person I know
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's hope it sells out.
  • Options

Most Irish people, especially GAA fans, don't really think too much about the Council, it's the County Boards and the teams that have the greater day to day impact.
  • Options

Most Irish people, especially GAA fans, don't really think too much about the Council, it's the County Boards and the teams that have the greater day to day impact.
    Was just commenting on people I know, the words my other half’s dad used was “ there the biggest shower of bigotted cunts - they hate anything English ( football ) “
  • Options
    A Manchester United Legends team against a combined Celtic/Ireland side for the testimonial game.
  • Options

Was just commenting on people I know, the words my other half’s dad used was “ there the biggest shower of bigotted cunts - they hate anything English ( football ) “
    I'm not disagreeing, but would wonder if he might be referring to the Congress, rather than the Central Council (it's the Congress that makes, or not, important changes to the rule book, and its deliberations can be seen to be more openly political).
  • Options
    So, according to today's Irish Independent, what is on offer at Pairc Ui Chaoimh is not an Association Football match but a hurling or Gaelic football themed fundraiser for Liam Miller.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    its extremely petty i think, yep there was history surrounding it when gaa was banned etc by British rule but in a way move on its bigger than that its a tribute to a man who gave his all for his country, and the hypocrisy is laughable its fine to have various concerts at croke park because they come with bumper paydays
  • Options
    Also Kerry could be out of all Ireland, and Galway remain on target for the double