Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton's 1947 Cup Winning Celebration Bus Parade

No sound, but cracking video seeing the players lord it around on a Lewis coach past a number of bemused bus stop queues (it does get busier)

Be interested in how many local spots you recognise

http://youtu.be/lXt7Gc6EZc4

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Great bit of film.
    Goes up Charlton Chuchlane lane then right turn by StLuke's by Charlton House....... they went along to the Royal standard road about, Old Dover Road,? ...... Blackheath Village but ? till they came back to Woolwich
  • Options
    Looks like they go into Greenwich at the end
  • Options

My dad was so pissed off he missed it. Was doing 5 years in Pentonville for stripping lead from St Alfedges church in Greenwich...nutter!

Divine intervention.
  • Options
    Surely there must have been a train we could have gone on?
  • Options
    Halix said:

Surely there must have been a train we could have gone on?

Bus replacement service that day, somebody on the line at Greenwich.
  • Options
    Aah that explains it!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Just realised overhead cables, an open topped train and Sam Bartram raising the cup wouldn't work, it could get messy!.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't suppose there's one of these for Millwall... oh sorry!
  • Options

Loved it
    The pure passion of the huge hordes of fans still a significant feature of today's support

Ha, I just knew you would say this.
  • Options
    great video. thought we didn't have any support, thankfully people showed up at the end.

beautiful coach and vehicles of the era.
  • Options
    Great clip, never seen that before.
  • Options
    Good to see them overtake the Sheffield Wednesday bus on the Lower Road.

• Options
    Loved it. Especially the cycling outriders!
  • Options
    Great little video.
    Take it Sheffield Wednesday did one that year too?
  • Options
    Never seen that before, great film
  • Options
    Millwall & Palace will be green with envy having never won a major trophy. The boys of '47.....seems like only yesterday....
  • Options
    Fantastic. Mind you health and safety would have a field day with players sitting on the roof of a bus!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lovely clip but where was everyone?
  • Options
    Shame the film did not start from Floyd Road, as my family were living there and we would have been on the film, the same as the big picture in the board room, so I have been told.
  • Options
    Brilliant!
  • Options
    Great to see this archive film, the celebration coach ride and the old street scenes. As regards the locations, I spotted Charlton Village, the Standard, Blackheath, Eltham Road, Lee with the tram overhead wires (yes, I'm old enough to remember the trams), Well Hall Parade and assorted scenes in central Woolwich, including Beresford Square. Trafalgar Road, Greenwich also featured as did the road junction outside St Alphege's Church. I hazard a guess it must have been a Saturday afternoon after the end of the season. I assume the coach trip beat the bounds of the old Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich and then went from Lee to Eltham and on to Woolwich. All traditional heartlands of the Addicks.
  • Options

I don't suppose there's one of these for Millwall... oh sorry!

They win a couple of cup games, then along comes the band wagon.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    DRAddick said:

Great little video.
    Take it Sheffield Wednesday did one that year too?

Tram
  • Options
    Did everyone spot a young John Terry sitting in the back wearing his Charlton kit?
  • Options
    The lib club has never looked so clean.
  • Options
    Blimey, it's a wonder we had a team for the 47-48 season. Our three best players sitting on the roof of a bus waving a large metal object directly beneath high voltage cabling. I take it the club's safety officer had that weekend off. Oh, silly me; it was the 1940s, health & safety wasn't invented.
  • Options
    Had no idea open-topped bus parades were a thing back then! Top work posting it (and subsequent location-spotters)