Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton fans

2»

Comments

• Options
    I've been to games in Italy and the way the ultras coordinate the singing/flags/banners/moped throwing definitely adds a lot to the occasion. Maybe Henry could get a megaphone and order the East stand to hold their flasks in the air at a prearranged moment and chant " We are the blanket mob"
  • Options
    foxjam said:

Addickted said:

Have you never heard of the Charlton TF mob?

I haven't, what is it?
    Thermos Flask lads.

• Options
    Riviera said:

Considering some of the content and comment on here I'd have thought the majority were under 10 years old.

writes 9 year old Riviera
  • Options
    I'm 18, do I win the youngest lifer prize!?!?
  • Options
    milo said:

I've been to about a dozen games in Europe, mostly in Germany and although it is interesting to see through the haze of a dozen pilsners on a lads weekender, I wouldn't want it at Charlton and I don't think it would work.

Firstly, it wouldn't work because people from England don't like being told what to do. I've seen fans almost come to blows because one fella stands up and starts yelling at everyone else to 'sing up' then someone says 'I'll sing when they start playing' and next thing they're squaring up to each other. Now magnify that to having a twat at the front of the stand with a megaphone deciding what songs to sing and for how long etc and I think a few might get wound up.

It also kills any spontaneity. I've been at away games where songs have been sung just at this one game, taking the p1ss out of the fat bloke in the next stand, because the ref pulls up with cramp, a steward falls over, the announcer mispronounces a player's name and that gets sung instead and so on. This wouldn't be allowed unless megaphone man decides what can be sung and when.

There's also a lot of 'ultra' culture that doesn't involve just singing, for example, incessant flag waving. You may want to stand behind someone waving a skull and cross bones the size of a semi-detached house but I'd rather watch a game of football.

There's also a hell of a lot of organisation that is involved. I wouldn't give up my evenings to paint banners or learn new chants. Those flag wavers are changed every five minutes, so for half a dozen flags you need 100+ volunteers on flag duty. This means phoning round the flag crew on a Friday night checking that everyone is available the next days ultra-ing. The flags, banners, fares etc have to be paid for. A CSKA Sofia fan came at me with a charity box in Bulgaria because I hadn't donated to the cause when buying a match day ticket, luckily the language barrier saved me from making what appeared to be a statutory donation to their ultras.

I've rambled on a bit here, what I'm really saying is I can't be bothered and I doubt others would be either.

And yes I'm over 30.

See we do have youngsters!

• Options
    milo said:

I've been to about a dozen games in Europe, mostly in Germany and although it is interesting to see through the haze of a dozen pilsners on a lads weekender, I wouldn't want it at Charlton and I don't think it would work.

Firstly, it wouldn't work because people from England don't like being told what to do. I've seen fans almost come to blows because one fella stands up and starts yelling at everyone else to 'sing up' then someone says 'I'll sing when they start playing' and next thing they're squaring up to each other. Now magnify that to having a twat at the front of the stand with a megaphone deciding what songs to sing and for how long etc and I think a few might get wound up.

It also kills any spontaneity. I've been at away games where songs have been sung just at this one game, taking the p1ss out of the fat bloke in the next stand, because the ref pulls up with cramp, a steward falls over, the announcer mispronounces a player's name and that gets sung instead and so on. This wouldn't be allowed unless megaphone man decides what can be sung and when.

There's also a lot of 'ultra' culture that doesn't involve just singing, for example, incessant flag waving. You may want to stand behind someone waving a skull and cross bones the size of a semi-detached house but I'd rather watch a game of football.

There's also a hell of a lot of organisation that is involved. I wouldn't give up my evenings to paint banners or learn new chants. Those flag wavers are changed every five minutes, so for half a dozen flags you need 100+ volunteers on flag duty. This means phoning round the flag crew on a Friday night checking that everyone is available the next days ultra-ing. The flags, banners, fares etc have to be paid for. A CSKA Sofia fan came at me with a charity box in Bulgaria because I hadn't donated to the cause when buying a match day ticket, luckily the language barrier saved me from making what appeared to be a statutory donation to their ultras.

I've rambled on a bit here, what I'm really saying is I can't be bothered and I doubt others would be either.

And yes I'm over 30.

Thanks for an actual awnser from someone and yeah chances are will never happen and will stay boring but different countries/regions have different styles and focus on different areas for example some groups spend time creating massive cheographies paid for by fans and not do much else (Milan clubs) whereas others like Paok focus more of loud singing etc and pyro.

Also other groups are more spontaneous than others eg the Polish steroid lot are like robots in a way but look up Torcida Split, Napoli , Delije , Paok etc they are all spontaneous even with a capo leading it all.

Maybe England has been completely killed off but would be good too try to change and terraces are a start to bring fun back but doubt anything from Charlton judging but replies and other reasons, and if anyone else on here is interested in ultras/hooligan scene after reading this even though I doubt it check out Lech vs Basel, Cska Moscow vs Spara Praha, Rapid Wien vs Ajax in next few days in European qualifiers. Good video to watch is Rapid Wien ultras at Aston Villa few years ago to show comparison of when Europeans come to England
  • Options
    Also if everyone's so against it would you prefer lower north how it is now or packed full of an ultras group creating an atmosphere? Also Ultras groups don't have to have a stand full of large heavy flags if you are more interested in watching the game, look at Panathiniakos Gate 13, look at Ultras World on tour with them on YouTube
  • Options
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/nf_TuYwKe_U here is link, this is Panathiankos without flags or Tifo during Derby game with nice intro
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bring back fun? Remember, one man's fun is another mans, er, not so fun.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/0Hoz2Hgn0LQ Away Days Ultras style
  • Options
    Just a few more different songs (that more than 6 drunks sing ) and a bit more passion is what I want
    Then I'll get greedy and ask for a few more of our fans to start going away games and create a bit more atmosphere
    Slowly slowly catchy monkey
  • Options
    28 tomorrow
  • Options

28 tomorrow

Blimey, I thought you were younger than that. Good work fella :wink:
  • Options

milo said:

And yes I'm over 30.

Maybe England has been completely killed off but would be good too try to change and terraces are a start to bring fun back but doubt anything from Charlton judging but replies and other reasons, and if anyone else on here is interested in ultras/hooligan scene after reading this....
    Some very poor quality trolling going on but just for the heck of it I think you've fundamentally misjudged the demographics of our fan base and their approach to a tear up...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    No more excuses from our lot for sold out away days - proof that older fans can stand. They don't look too happy about it but nevertheless.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

milo said:

And yes I'm over 30.

Maybe England has been completely killed off but would be good too try to change and terraces are a start to bring fun back but doubt anything from Charlton judging but replies and other reasons, and if anyone else on here is interested in ultras/hooligan scene after reading this....
    Some very poor quality trolling going on but just for the heck of it I think you've fundamentally misjudged the demographics of our fan base and their approach to a tear up...

Down in front!
    Or
    Youngsters! Call that putting the boot in, rubbish!
    Or
    Oiy mind my Thermos
    Or
    Watch out your scuffing up the Sofa!
    Or
    Its much better watching the match on the screen now!
  • Options

milo said:

And yes I'm over 30.

if anyone else on here is interested in ultras/hooligan
    You started off by saying ultras and hooligans were very different & we shouldn't mix up the two.

Now you are asking if anyone is interested in ultras/hooligans.

Which is it ?
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Good grief how late you stay up PCCHARLTON! I'm guessing that's after coming home from the discotheque?

Its alright its not a school night.
  • Options

OLD? OLD????!!!! 57 is the new 27 thank you very much. You should try one of our spiced-up half-time Bovrils in the Upper West if you want to know what living on the edge is like...

57 and 27 are titles of Biffy Clyro songs. Good songs, too.

Also, I'm 29.

That's the extent of my contribution to this thread.
  • Options
    For those who didn't like the fencing and flags etc in foreign stadiums here is 2 videos of Dinamo Zagreb at Arsenal and Spurs
    https://youtu.be/zpzgaAv6Tok
    http://youtu.be/shMuxWrgn1Q
    Bottom link is for everyone who thinks it has to he aggression and skulls
    http://youtu.be/1r-in-QL9To