Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ray Davies at the Old Royal Naval College

edited July 2015 in Not Sports Related
Good stuff despite appalling weather, eased off for the main event thankfully

Anyone else on here go?imageimage

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I've seen more people at a welling game! Typical British weather ruins it again.
  • Options
    Pretty decent venue though.
  • Options
    They could have done a little bit more in terms of giving out ponchos (free ideally) and being a bit more proactive/communicative on twitter, and something to wip down seats.

Still enjoyable this is England and we should be prepared for and willing to brave bad weather sometimes.
  • Options
    Funny coincidence. Last night went to a really interesting evening with this (apparently) famous veteran American rock critic, Robert Christgau. He started by playing clips from his favourite artists. He played Waterloo Sunset...
  • Options
    Is he as good as Ray Davies? :wink:
  • Options
    Never knew it was on.

Had I known I would have been interested.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Is he as good as Ray Davies? :wink:

Actually that's given me a thought. He of course tried to claim that punk started in New York and not London, although he backed down a bit in the private chat afterwards. But I have seen it suggested that the Kinks were the original punk band. He's still around so I might feed that back to him and see if he bites...
  • Options
    I was there. Terrific evening despite the weather, which had been a lot worse earlier in the day.
  • Options
    We are seeing George Benson tonight and Tom tomorrow
  • Options
    I went and thoroughly enjoyed it. His voice has completely gone, but still hugely entertaining.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Funny coincidence. Last night went to a really interesting evening with this (apparently) famous veteran American rock critic, Robert Christgau. He started by playing clips from his favourite artists. He played Waterloo Sunset...

Is he promoting his book? In Prague or London? I'm a huge admirer of Robert Christgau.
  • Options
    I assume he sang Sunny Afternoon:-)
  • Options
    24 Red said:

Is he promoting his book? In Prague or London? I'm a huge admirer of Robert Christgau.
    he was in Prague just on holiday with his wife. He had made internet friends with my buddy an Amercian independent journo and commentator here. When RC mentioned he was coming out here, my buddy offered to host him and put on this event at his own expense. It was great. More or less a usual Friday night in our favourite pub, but with Robert Christgau tagging along. As well as the Czech Minister of Transport, respect to him.
  • Options

24 Red said:

he was in Prague just on holiday with his wife. He had made internet friends with my buddy an Amercian independent journo and commentator here. When RC mentioned he was coming out here, my buddy offered to host him and put on this event at his own expense. It was great. More or less a usual Friday night in our favourite pub, but with Robert Christgau tagging along. As well as the Czech Minister of Transport, respect to him.
    Wow, I am utterly green with envy. Christgau's journalism is more of an art than most rock music. I would kill for a couple of beers and a few hours of chat with him.
  • Options
    24 Red said:

24 Red said:

Wow, I am utterly green with envy. Christgau's journalism is more of an art than most rock music. I would kill for a couple of beers and a few hours of chat with him.
    This won't make you feel any better but I have to confess I didn't know him at all until my buddy mentioned his visit. You'd have been more than welcome if you'd hopped on a plane for a Prague weekend. There may be an audio recording of it. He's not the most compelling public speaker, but the story of how Lou Reed called him a toe fucker was a good one.

I think we've hi-jacked @razil's thread. This won't go down well...
  • Options

24 Red said:

24 Red said:

This won't make you feel any better but I have to confess I didn't know him at all until my buddy mentioned his visit. You'd have been more than welcome if you'd hopped on a plane for a Prague weekend. There may be an audio recording of it. He's not the most compelling public speaker, but the story of how Lou Reed called him a toe fucker was a good one.

I think we've hi-jacked @razil's thread. This won't go down well...
    We'll leave it there then. I'm sorry I missed Ray Davies too.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    kimbo said:

We are seeing George Benson tonight and Tom tomorrow

george benson was great, shame there was no "greatest love of all"

• Options
    Both George Benson and Tom Jones were great. Boy can Tom sing but no "what's new pussycat"