Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Ball

edited April 2007 in General Charlton
Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but how amazing was the minutes applause for Alan Ball? The whole ground applauding and singing his name. Very moving.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah very good looking on youtube for it but nothing there
  • Options
    Agreed, and Charlton started the singing which was about the only time Blackburn sang.
  • Options
    so much more appropiate than a minutes silence.
  • Options
    Without doubt the best tribute I have experienced at a football ground. So much better than those bloody silences. The chanting was fantastic. A football send off for a true football man.
  • Options
    I agree.

At first I didn't like the idea of the minute's applause especially as when first used it seemed to be a way of avoiding a silence being spoilt by shouting.

Now I think it is better as it can't be spoilt by someone shouting out, keeps the atmosphere going and allows, as on Saturday, someone's name to be chanted.

Should we have them at Charlton and should there be one a year to remember all the fans and ex-players/staff etc like Charlie Hall who have died in the previous 12 months? Or should we stick to a silence?
  • Options
    It was very good,very proud of all the fans that did this
  • Options
    Was it as good at other grounds??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I agree.

At first I didn't like the idea of the minute's applause especially as when first used it seemed to be a way of avoiding a silence being spoilt by shouting.

Now I think it is better as it can't be spoilt by someone shouting out, keeps the atmosphere going and allows, as on Saturday, someone's name to be chanted.

Should we have them at Charlton and should there be one a year to remember all the fans and ex-players/staff etc like Charlie Hall who have died in the previous 12 months? Or should we stick to a silence?
    Rather than pre match thing with silence i'd much prefer a tribute type video put up on the big screen, for people to enjoy (and ignore if they wish). I dont want us to become like the chicken mourning scousers
  • Options
    pretty sad though.

there is nothing more moving than being able to hear a pin drop during an official silence. The fact that the potential threat that an idiot may spoil it means this can't continue is a bit of a sad indicement of people in general, not just a football thing.

But the applause thing is definately the best compromise.
  • Options
    Have to be honest, I find the applause more moving - nothing to do with the idiots.

IMO, far more suitable to show appreciation for someone, and what that person achieved, than to stand there in silence. It happens to all of us at some point - I want to celebrate a life, not mourn it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well said fella
  • Options
    A minutes silence is more approriate for when remembering those who died in tragic disasters. But why we have to endure them at football matches is beyond me.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_J4UM5td6Y