Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

GAD/Other Anxiety Disorders

I have seen people mention medical issues on here before.

I was just wondering if anyone on here, either suffers or knows someone who suffers from GAD or any other Anxiety Disorder

Comments

• Options
    i suffer from anxiety from time to time. I think once you admit to yourself it's anxiety it can be a lot better to deal with and learning some general CBT can be good to getting your head into a better place.

Also meditation can help. There's been times when i've been feeling particularly bad, i meditate for 30 mins and it's as if all the mist in my mind has gone and i feel normal again.
  • Options
    Thanks kentaddick

I have finally admitted it to myself, its all about getting the help now, before it costs me more than it has already
  • Options
    I read this:

The Chimp Paradox by Prof Steve Peters.

Best self help book I've ever read.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

I read this:

I second that , brilliant book. I have suffered form Anxiety in the past and this helped a lot. Don't let that chimp takeover.
  • Options

I read this:

saw him at hay festival this year, absolutely fantastic and interesting talk. But, as he says, it won't work with everyone.
  • Options

I read this:

saw him at hay festival this year, absolutely fantastic and interesting talk. But, as he says, it won't work with everyone.
    You're right that it won't work for everyone. Often depends on the root cause.

I know 4 people who have read it and all think it sorted them out.
  • Options
    Meditation is very good advice, transcendental I would say is the easiest - keep searching on the internet and you will find out how to do it for free. It may seem silly to those who don't do it, but it's essentially an exercise for your mind - you start to control it rather than it you.

Find out what seems to trigger your anxieties, perhaps why so, also. This understanding will help you conquering or at least winning the mini battles against these anxieties. Also don't be afraid to tell those closest to you about them, it's a mini weight off your shoulders sharing it, albeit to one person.

One last piece of advice, find a way to exhaust yourself other than through the anxieties; tire your body or mind out so it can't dwell on these things, go to the gym, go for a run, watch an intense film, walk the dog with music. etc.