Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Films with titles that are wrong.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Fiiish said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Ahh, I get it. Sorry, was very slow on that. It was actually pretty good!

I think I now get why you liked Edge of Tomorrow ;)
    Yeah that would work if I was the one who apparently didn't get it...
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    JiMMy 85 said:

Fiiish said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Ahh, I get it. Sorry, was very slow on that. It was actually pretty good!

I think I now get why you liked Edge of Tomorrow ;)
    Yeah that would work if I was the one who apparently didn't get it...
    There's a difference between not liking a film and not getting it (also I realise Tom Cruise wasn't actually a time traveller, my post was rather obviously tongue-in-cheek).
  • Options
    I guess it's just hard to understand how someone could hate it that much if they did get it.

85% on Metacritic and 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, despite a low box office, implies the marketing was the issue, not the storyline.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I guess it's just hard to understand how someone could hate it that much if they did get it.

85% on Metacritic and 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, despite a low box office, implies the marketing was the issue, not the storyline.

As I said, tongue in cheek. I didn't bother to check its Metacritic and the 5 other people I know who have seen it were equally scathing. Was there really that much to get? I didn't particularly have a problem with the premise of the film if that's what you're referring to.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    IMDB is my favourite way of judging if a film is worth actually going to see.

7.9 is a good score. Shawshank 'The best film ever' only gets a 9.2 on there.

This is the top 250 as voted by the worlds population:
    http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?sort=rk,asc&mode=simple&page=1
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

IMDB is my favourite way of judging a film.

7.9 is a good score. Shawshank 'The best film ever' only gets a 9.2 on there.

This is the top 250 as voted by the worlds population:
    http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?sort=rk,asc&mode=simple&page=1

My favourite way to judge a film is to watch it myself and then decide.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Was there really that much to get? I
    For an action movie. I would say yes, there was. I think the only criticism I would have is that it it is somewhat derivative of other movies (basically Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers), but I don't see that as a criticism.

Aside from the fact that it's a perfectly executed script, I think Lyman and Cruise had a lot of fun with the premise. For a Hollywood star of that size to be happy to have his character killed off in such a variety of ways was really refreshing (Denzel, for instance, is not only indestructible, he has to fight his own wristwatch to create tension).

I am also a sucker for silent sacrifice; the heroes who save the day do so not only without the world knowing what they did, but without even THEM knowing what they did. It's the most powerful tool in storytelling IMO.

As for a character arc, it's rare for Hollywood action movies to give the hero an arc, let alone such a complete one. Compare the Cage that first meets General Brigham to the Cage who comes back for the device. Cage becomes a Major, having started the film without ever earning it.

I think Cruise deserves a lot of credit for putting so much effort into standalone blockbusters. It's far more interesting than the rest of the comic book world (even if this was a Manga thing originally). He works brilliantly as a producer, getting the best out of the directors he works with, and he chooses scripts really carefully. I thought it was a massive shame EoT didn't perform at the box office, but I think it's at worst nuts and at best inaccurate, tongue in cheek or not, to call it a "clusterfuck."
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Judging whether a film is worth a watch is what one meant to infer.

Apologies for my mistake, I did not mean to make it sound like I watch a film, then check a website to see what it was rated and then say to myself "Oh that was a good film after all" or "Oh so that's what a bad movie is".

I have amended my post in an attempt to neutralise any further confusion. :trollface:
  • Options
    'Cluster what now?'
  • Options
    Imply not infer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Imply not infer

Not seen that
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Fair enough. At the end of the day I thought it was a waste of 2 hours and that I'd probably have been better off not seeing it but you can't please all the people all of the time.
  • Options

Imply not infer

Sadly you are correct, I was implying one thing to which you inferred I meant something rather different.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Taking threads away from their title was a good movie.

But am I alone in thinking the film Moses should have been in two parts?
    (The whole, 'Parrting the Red Sea' thing?)
  • Options
    50 shades of grey- was there any mention of different shades of grey no, I was hoping for redecorating tips
    A walk to remember- not really much walking in that one
    Football Factory-nothing to do with a factory making footballs
    Space Jam- nothing about having or making jam in space
    Rat Race- was a race for people not rats
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I forgot: "The Cold Light Of Day" was an utterly irrelevant title. So was "We Own The Night" which was an awful movie with an awful title.

I also thought Ice Cold In Alex was a bit of a spoiler.

The title could have meant they end up on a slab in the mortuary.
  • Options
    You want a film with the wrong title? OK then, I give you The Great Escape. Three men escaped, the rest were murdered or sent back to a PoW camp. I don't call that a great escape by any definition of the word escape.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

'Cluster what now?'

Who's that?..who the hell is that?
  • Options
    Emily Blunt
  • Options
    I reckon google has just seen a sharp increase in the amount of searches for "Emily Blunt", "Emily Blunt single" and "Emily Blunt naked".

All originating with ValleyGary...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

'Cluster what now?'

Who's that?..who the hell is that?
  • Options
    The madness of King George. That was George the third fools (the play had the right name. Rumour has it they dropped the "III" so that septics didn't think it was a sequel)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    McBobbin said:

The madness of King George. That was George the third fools (the play had the right name. Rumour has it they dropped the "III" so that septics didn't think it was a sequel)

Surprised it didn't tank..... :wink: