Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How much influence does the press really have?

edited August 2015 in Not Sports Related
A lot is made of the 'influence' of the Tory press or the Guardanistas on this site. As someone who always used to buy a daily paper and now cannot remember the last one I did buy, does the press really influence people as much now as, say 20 years ago, politically?

Just one daily national title bucked the trend last year by increasing circulation - and all their sales are generally reducing year by year. Or do people register online and now read their 'morning paper' that way?

Daily titles Avg circ, December 2014 Y/y % change

Daily Mirror 912,291 -5.49
Daily Record 201,089 -10.39
Daily Star 426,300 -13.31
The Sun 1,892,207 -7.42
Daily Express 455,590 -9.27
Daily Mail 1,648,853 -5.29
The Daily Telegraph 485,513 -10.17
Financial Times 215,429 -8.92
The Guardian 177,880 -12.40
i 278,101 -4.92
The Independent 60,463 -10.11
The Times 390,765 1.64

So do newspapers significantly influence peoples attitudes, or do we buy the paper that most represents our views in the first place?

Comments

• Options
    I think its not just 'sales' figures, but the number of people who read them.

for instance someone in the office always buys the Sun, everyone slates him etc.....................but everyone wants a read of it !
  • Options
    I think that newspapers have far less power than some people make out. Look at the demise of the NOTW to see how easily they can crumble.

People who bang on about the right-wing press generally do so to avoid having to consider whether there are other reasons as to why their ideologies don't gain any traction with the voters.
  • Options
    Sterling sold for £49 million... I think the press definitely have an influence.
  • Options
    I have a choice which if any paper I buy. But I have to pay for the BBC
  • Options
    We'd all like to think we're above being influenced, but that's the beauty of it. We largely don't realise it is happening.
  • Options

Tight sod as ever, Norman
  • Options
    Addickted said:

A lot is made of the 'influence' of the Tory press or the Guardanistas on this site. As someone who always used to buy a daily paper and now cannot remember the last one I did buy, does the press really influence people as much now as, say 20 years ago, politically?

Just one daily national title bucked the trend last year by increasing circulation - and all their sales are generally reducing year by year. Or do people register online and now read their 'morning paper' that way?

Daily titles Avg circ, December 2014 Y/y % change

Daily Mirror 912,291 -5.49
    Daily Record 201,089 -10.39
    Daily Star 426,300 -13.31
    The Sun 1,892,207 -7.42
    Daily Express 455,590 -9.27
    Daily Mail 1,648,853 -5.29
    The Daily Telegraph 485,513 -10.17
    Financial Times 215,429 -8.92
    The Guardian 177,880 -12.40
    i 278,101 -4.92
    The Independent 60,463 -10.11
    The Times 390,765 1.64

So do newspapers significantly influence peoples attitudes, or do we buy the paper that most represents our views in the first place?

You'd be better off looking at NRS figures (readership) rather than ABC (circulation). The figure you've quoted is also likely to just cover dailies (Mon-Fri). Out of the list, despite a declining market in general, those most associated as Tory papers have higher circulation and readership anyway, so if any newspaper / newspaper group is going to influence views then they have a bigger share to be able to do so. You've also haven't taken online visits into consideration or social media impacts.
  • Options
    I am purely influenced by this site, i am basically the political love child of @brogib and @Henryirving2
  • Options
    websites, especially the BBC have become important news outlets with up to the minute reports .. the BBC site is getting more 'redtop' by the week, it is vital that the BBC remains neutral and a commentator rather than 'opinion maker' ..

newspapers are becoming more like magazines filled with articles and opinions as well as 'uncovering scandal and crime' .. they have become expensive, a newspaper a day over a year is the price of a (cheap) weekend away
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Online presence from each of these papers are huge as well, so don't think just simply taking circulation into account is truly accurate anymore.
  • Options
    I've grown up (well 27 now), in the generation where news among my age group is based on things that are distributed online through social media more often than not. A quick flick through my Facebook news feed will show that the majority of people my age who I went to University with often shout from the rooftops about 'out of the box thinking' articles by The Guardian.

I do think it has an influence, its just delivered by a far different means than it was years ago.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Funny how people who dismiss the influence the largely tory press then get their knickers in a twist about the supposed lefty influence of the BBC.

blockquote>

Yes, most peculiar that. I am sure there is a perfectly logical explanation...

The press influence cannot be overstated. Be it on line or printed. You only have to look at some of the balls stated as fact on all kinds social media that comes from manipulated, one sided press coverage of events of all kinds. Or indeed in the pub or workplace for that matter.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Some right junk here..... "Bullet aimed at armadillo hits gunman".

http://algarvedailynews.com/
  • Options

It suggests here that the BBC are paying you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Smith_(journalist)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Addickted said:

Some right junk here..... "Bullet aimed at armadillo hits gunman".

http://algarvedailynews.com/

Is that the way to shoot armadillo?
    Every night he's hugging his hospital pillow
    Sha la la la la lal la
  • Options

The answer to this lies in the readers disposition to Confirmation Bias.

You've not been hiring Henry at all have you?

• Options
    Addickted said:

The answer to this lies in the readers disposition to Confirmation Bias.

You've not been hiring Henry at all have you?

Ha, ha, is that one of his sessions?

It's actually a really interesting subject and our own Confirmation Bias is pretty vital to be aware of in some jobs. For example it's the reason the Yorkshire Ripper got away with it for so long (you'll remember the top copper on that job was convinced the offender was from Wearside and completely took his eye of the ball).
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

We'd all like to think we're above being influenced, but that's the beauty of it. We largely don't realise it is happening.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Their influence is in setting the agenda.

• Options
    I really shouldn't respond to this sort of shit trolling. Fiiish has the gift, what can I say.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I really shouldn't respond to this sort of shit trolling. Fiiish has the gift, what can I say.

I know it's not that easy, but be strong and resist!
  • Options
    I very much doubt a green voter would be reading the daily mail, so it deffinitely relates some how
  • Options
    Sales might be down but how many people read the news from their smart phone or tablet?

Not enough people read a wide enough range of media, so I think the press have a huge influence.

The fact the Sun and Mail are the to highest sellers is quite worrying.
  • Options
    I'm a Green voter who will sometimes read a DM Online article if it's relevant to my interests and is linked on a webforum thread I'm reading, tbf
  • Options
    Wait, people actually read all that boring bollocks in the paper between the pictures of tits and the sport section?

Weirdos.
  • Options
    clearly by the amount of people who believe everything the daily mail prints, quite a lot.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I'm a Green voter who will sometimes read a DM Online article if it's relevant to my interests and is linked on a webforum thread I'm reading, tbf

Occasionally Clicking links and going out to purchase a paper on a daily basis is a bit different though.