Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plantar Fasciitis

edited August 2015 in Not Sports Related
Hi Guys

Anyone had a touch of this, just had it diagnosed this morning and Doctor said it's a case of rest & stretch (taking months to heal or heel :lol: ) but looking online many continue to cycle and swim with it.

Just wanted to see how others have overcome this.

Most of you are reliable on this kind of stuff when you have had an injury whether chronic or acute.

It's so annoying to be injured again, had IT band issues, then got my fitness back in time for shin splints, then got my fitness back and ruptured a shoulder ligament to get my fitness back and get this bastard Plantar Fasciitis thing that is like a hot poker through your arch... Over 2 years of constant injuries since Brighton Marathon...

Think I'm done at that distance with running :(

Cheers

Daz

Comments

• Options
    Finally a medical thread I can comment on.

think about the shoes you wear or get some innersoles.

Some people swear by diet but I found it got better over time but it is a pain in summer not being able to wear deck shoes all the time.
  • Options
    Cheers Henners.

I only weigh 74kg, so my weight isn't the issue.

Will give some insoles a try, pharmacy tomorrow it is.
  • Options
    I've had it a couple of times. Swimming is fine but would think twice about cycling. Took a long time to clear, don't get fooled into rushing back into running etc once it starts to feel better. As henry says you can get special inner soles/supports that help. I still have to be careful, limit myself to one football game a week and avoid the treadmill when in the gym.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Cheers Henners.

I only weigh 74kg, so my weight isn't the issue.

Will give some insoles a try, pharmacy tomorrow it is.

You saying Henry is a fat bastard ?

He was. Typical abuse from Dazsler.

I was trying to be helpful by suggesting that your diet ie the type of food you eat might be an issue and he throws it back in my face.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Had to Google this Dazz, sounds painful, good luck with that mate.

Did have to stiffle a giggle though with one of causes listed, wearing high heeled shoes... Is there something you haven't told us?
  • Options
    lots of sunlight and water.

you might find that talking to them helps stimulate growth as well.
  • Options
    Get a tennis ball (or a similar harder ball like a cricket one if you can handle it straight away), and roll it around under your feet without shoes on.

A good way to make sure you're spending enough time / covering the whole area would be to write the alphabet out with the ball under each foot. This is a great way to self massage the area, and should help to ease the discomfort gradually. Stick with it, and don't be put off by the initial pain it may cause.

Good luck!
  • Options
    No fun. Deal breaker for runners. Don't mess with it. Ice foot, calf stretches. stretch foot by pulling toes back - using band or towl etc. Go to podiatrist - maybe do need different shoes/orthotics etc. Don't go buy over counter pharmacy insoles. Podiatrist will also be able to analyse running style - gait analysis etc - to see if you running form is an issue. I will stop running the moment I start to feel any tightness/pain in sole of feet. Swimming/cycling should be ok.

I know you have PF now - but when you are over this - prevention is better than cure. If you ran marathons/other races before, take all advise on recovery - this is often an over use injury. I have said this before on here, but a lot of running programs focus on training leading up to a race - rarely do they say anything about recovery - down time after race etc. Good luck!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My other half has had this. She had a cortisone injection and cannot now where flat shoes. That probably doesn't help but I thought I'd share ....
  • Options
    I thought it was a new signing - seriously - all the best with this.
  • Options
    I have suffered with this mildly, try sitting down and running your foot over a golf ball. It massages the foot and be done while watching TV.
  • Options
    Any old inner soles won't do. You need orthotic inner soles. Boots do some. Blacks do better ones at £35 a pair! I get PF and have to have a pair for every bloody pair of shoes. They do work though.
  • Options
    Don't wear shoes without some kind of heel on them. Accept that it will take time but it will go away. The kind of tendon stretching exercises you see footballers do helps.
  • Options
    I had this a few years ago, what helped me was getting some Fit Flops. They have other styles apart from flip-flop (which is what I went for as I can't stand flipflops). It's akin to really good insoles I think, but that's what I used and it went. Admittedly I don't run, but I think it took around 6 months to go completely for me. I wore the fit flops religiously for a lot of that time and still have a couple of pairs that I alternate with other shoes.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Yep, bloody painful. I had it for 6 months and stopped wearing flip flops and deck type shoes and stuck to trainers and shoes. Used a yoga tune up ball to run my heel over constantly. Would get some proper advice from a Podiatrist. Otherwise Ibuprofen.
  • Options
    Ive suffered with this too and still do! My first treatment was heat treatment for three months once a week and no running for six months i was also told to wear orthotic soles when running next and given some exercises to do too.Ive run a few marathons and at about 18-20 miles i always start to suffer with the pain.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Had it for a few months and the only advice I can give you is when you get the opportunity to rest the foot do so ... ..it went after a few months and touch wood ..stayed away

I use to find soaking the feet it hot water helped

I wish you well Buddy ....
  • Options
    You need Orthosole
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had it and I run long distances regularly. So not the end of your running that is for sure. The tennis ball (or better still a golf ball) rolled under foot on a regular basis will stretch out the tissue and really help the problem but certainly no running at the moment. If it is persistent go see a podiatrist who can mould you orthotic inner soles. A last resort is a steroid injection in the foot but this is quite a painful treatment. Like anything it depends how bad the problem is and how much you want to really get it sorted.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Been getting a bit of pain on my left foot at the heel...usually in the morning but clears up pretty quickly after getting up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis
  • Options
    Had it a few months back and was advised to soak feet in hot water while stretching toes. Next day soak feet in ice cold water for 10mins no stretches. Repeat with hot soak and stretching the next day and cold soak the day after and so on. I done it for 7 days and it was gone. Hope it helps u mate
  • Options
    My mate Johnl had this but got it sorted with a steroid injection.
  • Options
    Insoles may well be the answer, had this after the Paris marathon this year. Went to see a podiatrist in Gloucester (where i live) and was told i have a problem that he could overcome with insoles. £100 later and a further 3 weeks of rest i was able to do race to the stones (62 miles) with no bad effects.

Get to your nearest podiatrist, worked wonders for me :)
  • Options
    There's not a lot you can do with this apart from cushioning the heel and rest. It takes a while to go. And don't try rushing it because you'll regret it. I had this and it took a couple of months to go I seem to remember. No running or football with that around (you won't be able to anyway because it's so painful).
  • Options
    I got this because of constant running while refin especially on the hard pitches.i also have high arches that leads to this problem.you need inner soles in your shoes.also look on YouTube for stretches and how to massage you feet hurts but works.best thing fill plastic bottle with water freeze and roll under your feet first thing in morning when it's worse. I've been doing that for the last two seasons. I also do it after matches if it feels sore and the stretches. Good luck it takes time to heal.
  • Options

My mate was diagnosed with this and his doctor gave him pills to take for the rest of his life. He was concerned as there were only 14 in the bottle.

:wink:

Seriously I've never heard of it.

Made me chuckle, but seriously this does happen - because some restricted drugs are never given out in large doses. Fentanyl is an example.
  • Options
    I have it.

Went to the London Podiatry Centre in Lewisham, by the old bingo hall. They are the podiatrist for Charlton and Arsenal (or were) and other football clubs. Brilliant, paid about £400 ten years ago for a complete look at my feet. Was given inserts, which I still use, and it went away almost immediately.

www.londonpodiatry.com

Best money I ever spent.