Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Toronto

I'm hoping and expecting to start a new job at the beginning of September which should involve a short trip to Toronto for on-boarding and other such corporate pleasures.

I can't imagine I will have a bundle of free time but are there any Must Dos if you're in town ? As far as I can see I will probably just miss out on the NY Yankees game.

Comments

• Options
    PL54 said:

I'm hoping and expecting to start a new job at the beginning of September which should involve a short trip to Toronto for on-boarding and other such corporate pleasures.

I can't imagine I will have a bundle of free time but are there any Must Dos if you're in town ? As far as I can see I will probably just miss out on the NY Yankees game.

PL54, I got to go with work in 2009 (I think - it may have been 2010). Can you get a whole day to yourself or is that out the question? If you can, book a tour to go up to Niagra Falls if you haven't been. You will need a whole day though. We then stopped at this vineyard owned by Dan Ackroyd on the way back.

As I finish writing this I've just remembered it was 2009.
  • Options
    I don't have dates yet and am still negotiating £cash so not finalised but very likely - it'd be great to string a day or so on if possible.
  • Options
    If you can it's well worth it, something like a 3 hour journey if I recall from the center of Toronto. I stayed in the Pantages Hotel which is right by a big mall. I didn't get to go to the Tower though (can't remember the name). In the evenings we headed down to the front by the lake, some good restaurants and bars, but September and the weather over there I'm not sure about
  • Options
    Toronto FC are at home 13th, 19th and 26th September depending when you are there.
  • Options
    Niagara Falls is a must, the CN tower is worth doing, great view and a walk over the glass floor which was a weird feeling. Plenty of top level sport about
  • Options
    PL - if you are going to visit the CN Tower, be sure to include the Ripley's Aquarium which is located at the base of the CN Tower....family members who have visited say its a fantastic exhibition....
    Hope the trip is a memorable one but Toronto FC is unlikely to bring much excitement as they are woefully inconsistent as is much of the MLS (IMHO). Other than the "Atomic Ant" - Seb Giovinco who has single-handedly won Toronto its games so far this season...he is a wonder to watch and shines in this league.
    As previously mentioned, a trip to Niagara Falls is worthwhile and if wine is "your thing", there are a multitude of vineyards in around the Falls region. A few miles from the Falls is, Niagara-on-the-Lake which is a very pretty town with some unique shops, restaurants, etc......
  • Options

PL - if you are going to visit the CN Tower, be sure to include the Ripley's Aquarium which is located at the base of the CN Tower....family members who have visited say its a fantastic exhibition....
    Hope the trip is a memorable one but Toronto FC is unlikely to bring much excitement as they are woefully inconsistent as is much of the MLS (IMHO). Other than the "Atomic Ant" - Seb Giovinco who has single-handedly won Toronto its games so far this season...he is a wonder to watch and shines in this league.
    As previously mentioned, a trip to Niagara Falls is worthwhile and if wine is "your thing", there are a multitude of vineyards in around the Falls region. A few miles from the Falls is, Niagara-on-the-Lake which is a very pretty town with some unique shops, restaurants, etc......

That's it. Niagara on the Lake, that's where I went
  • Options
    Niagara-on-the-Lake also has some historical significance as a key battle in the War of 1812 took place there; Fort George is open for tours during the summer -
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/on/fortgeorge/index.aspx - if history is another of "your thing"...!!! lol...
  • Options
    Casa Loma is worth a visit.
  • Options

Niagara-on-the-Lake also has some historical significance as a key battle in the War of 1812 took place there; Fort George is open for tours during the summer -
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/on/fortgeorge/index.aspx - if history is another of "your thing"...!!! lol...

Yes they mentioned that battle on the tour. Something about holding of or repelling a siege of some sort with fewer numbers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just got back from a year in Canada and really liked Toronto. Get to a Blue Jays game if you can, especially if the weather is nice.

When doing the CN tower you can get your admission free I believe if you eat in the revolving restaurant there.

One thing you must do though is the Steam Whistle brewery tour, you get enough free beer on it to make it worth the admission fee alone. It's right next to the CN tower.

• Options
    Stratford Shakespearean Festival, Royal Ontario Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto Island, The Beach Boardwalk, Toronto Argonauts - my hometown. Enjoy.
  • Options
    All sounds great - fingers crossed
  • Options
    When/if you go to Niagra Falls you can walk over to the US side. It gives a different perspective/view of the falls.
  • Options
    Seems like I'm in the minority but I wouldn't recommend Niagara falls. Just was all a bit underwhelming really, but then I guess it's one of those places you're supposed to see.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Seems like I'm in the minority but I wouldn't recommend Niagara falls. Just was all a bit underwhelming really, but then I guess it's one of those places you're supposed to see.

Did you see it from the Canada side? The New York viewing area looked a bit crap really

• Options

colthe3rd said:

Did you see it from the Canada side? The New York viewing area looked a bit crap really

Saw it from both and did maid of the mist. As a side point took nearly 2 hours to get across the border there, was waiting in their immigration office for a long time.
  • Options
    The boat trip at Niagara Falls is quite impressive, but I wouldn't waste any of my day dealing with US immigration if I didn't have to! Stick to the Canadian side!
  • Options
    Niagara Falls is amazing, unfortunately the actual town is an absolute dump.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

The boat trip at Niagara Falls is quite impressive, but I wouldn't waste any of my day dealing with US immigration if I didn't have to! Stick to the Canadian side!

I was heading to Boston from there so had to anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

colthe3rd said:

If you get the chance view from both sides....agree though it is better from the Canadian side.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Saw it from both and did maid of the mist. As a side point took nearly 2 hours to get across the border there, was waiting in their immigration office for a long time.
    Blimey....took us a couple of minutes to cross over, done it on 3 seperate ocassions when we was there, but that was back in October 2000 so things may have changed since then.
  • Options
    Now confirmed and will have the Saturday 'at leisure' so will check out the tips above.

Thanks all.
  • Options

Niagara Falls is amazing, unfortunately the actual town is an absolute dump.

This, go to the falls, dont go to the town - real sh1thole.
    Niagara on the lake very worthwhile.
    Must admit, i found Toronto to be one of the most boring,charmless cities in the world - wouldnt be top of my list to go back to.
  • Options
    Toronto seems alright to me, at least the central / 'downtown' bits.

People only seem to be expected to work 9 to 5 as well which is a bit odd......
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Have you got to the bars down by the lake yet (weather permitting). Coincidentally I'm in Miami at the moment so am in the same time zone as you
  • Options
    You're here for the long weekend this week so most people are getting out of town hence everyone leaving at 5 or before. In general most jobs are 9-5.

Being as you're down here you can go to the Ex (CNE) you'll see it on TV and all over town. The airshow starts Saturday and a Jays series with the Orioles starts tomorrow but you'd be lucky to get a ticket at this point.

The city will be pretty quiet this weekend with a lot of people doing a final weekend at the cottage.
  • Options
    Just oooooot and see the city
  • Options
    cabbles said:

PL54 said:

Have you got to the bars down by the lake yet (weather permitting). Coincidentally I'm in Miami at the moment so am in the same time zone as you
    Saturday hopefully, not sure I am going to get to Niagara

You're here for the long weekend this week so most people are getting out of town hence everyone leaving at 5 or before. In general most jobs are 9-5.

Being as you're down here you can go to the Ex (CNE) you'll see it on TV and all over town. The airshow starts Saturday and a Jays series with the Orioles starts tomorrow but you'd be lucky to get a ticket at this point.

I bored some bloke stupid last night in a bar learning the Baseball rules - the Blue Jays are ' flying' but I might try the cheapest tickets tomorrow night.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Cheapest tickets in the house are $17. As I said the game is said to be sold out. You may get lucky and try www.bluejays.com other wise you'll be able to get them off scalpers outside the stadium but will probably pay a premium for them.

Also, try stubhub.com. Also bring some cash, Beers are $11.00 a tall boy.