Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

E bay

2»

Comments

• Options
    Talal said:

Got something ending in a couple of hours. The high bidder is from Belgium. F*cks sake.

Hold the item ransom until Roland fucks off. Then say you'll happily post it
  • Options
    Need a bit of advice.

I sold a PS4 game the other day.

The buyer messaged me today with images of the box and cd damaged.

This would concern me, but I only posted the item today, so he won't receive it until tomorrow.

I spoke to eBay to report the scamming. They advised me to message the buyer and explain and they would investigate if the buyer chased a refund. I messaged him explaining how he was lying to me.

He then messaged me saying he'd made a mistake and he'd bought 2 in error (while sending me a screengrab showing 2 purchases of the same game - neither of which was the one I sold him)

He says he is going to send my game back once he receives it.

If I thought he was genuine then I wouldn't have a problem. But he's obviously trying to scam me, and who knows what he might send to me.

As I listed this as 'returns not accepted', is it acceptable to tell him to do one?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Need a bit of advice.

This would concern me, but I only posted the item today, so he won't receive it until tomorrow.

I spoke to eBay to report the scamming. They advised me to message the buyer and explain and they would investigate if the buyer chased a refund. I messaged him explaining how he was lying to me.

He then messaged me saying he'd made a mistake and he'd bought 2 in error (while sending me a screengrab showing 2 purchases of the same game - neither of which was the one I sold him)

If I thought he was genuine then I wouldn't have a problem. But he's obviously trying to scam me, and who knows what he might send to me.

As I listed this as 'returns not accepted', is it acceptable to tell him to do one?

Returns not accepted means absolutely nothing on eBay. If they want to return an item they can. If they send a damaged game or one that clearly isn't yours all you can hope for is that eBay will take into account your initial report. A silver lining is that they've been stupid enough to message you on the same day, had they left it a few days I don't think you'd have much luck keeping the money.

You sent it with tracking I presume? If not then by the sounds of them they'll claim it not received anyway.
  • Options
    Ebay are wankers.
    I sold a bundle of decent kids clothes for £25, prob worth about £200, fcked up on the postage and ending up costing me about £10 excess in postage.

Had it posted recorded, heard nothing for 3 months, then buyer said I haven't received, they reimbursed them from my bank account the same day, I lost £200 of clothes and £10 postage.

No rights as a seller on Ebay.
  • Options
    I've spoken to two different eBay employees on the phone, and neither have been interested in the slightest that this guy is probably doing this with everything he's ordering. Wouldn't take long for them to go through his messages to investigate.

After a bit more research, it appears that there is a lot of this that goes on. Buyer has a defective item. Orders a replacement off eBay, and then claims that they were sent their original item. Seller has no proof, and the Buyer gets their money back and a better condition item.
  • Options
    Hmm...I might try it
  • Options
    It's not dissimilar to selling tickets on viagogo etc.

If the buyer claims non receipt or they were denied access to the event.

Buyer is refunded, the seller has no rights.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Ben18 said:

Need a bit of advice.

Returns not accepted means absolutely nothing on eBay. If they want to return an item they can. If they send a damaged game or one that clearly isn't yours all you can hope for is that eBay will take into account your initial report. A silver lining is that they've been stupid enough to message you on the same day, had they left it a few days I don't think you'd have much luck keeping the money.

You sent it with tracking I presume? If not then by the sounds of them they'll claim it not received anyway.
    Just to follow this up. He has asked to return the item. I've asked him to send me photos to make sure its the right one, which he has (showing the perfect condition disc and box of the game I sent to him)

Should I just now tell him to stick it, and refuse the return?

Is there any way this could backfire?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Ben18 said:

Talal said:

Ben18 said:

Need a bit of advice.

Just to follow this up. He has asked to return the item. I've asked him to send me photos to make sure its the right one, which he has (showing the perfect condition disc and box of the game I sent to him)

To be honest, you have to ask yourself if it's worth the aggro? Not sure what the amount you're talking about in money terms for the game, but ifs it's a PS4 game, then I'm guessing not a massive amount of money? You're probably better off getting it back and just trading it in at game or cex.

A matter of principle sometimes I know, but personally I wouldn't bother wasting your time.
  • Options
    I use ebay a lot and have had a few things like this. If he wants to return it tell him to post it back at his cost (not yours). Once you have received it, check it is the item you sent him plus it is in the condition you sent it out as then you can consider the refund.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ben18 said:

Talal said:

Ben18 said:

Need a bit of advice.

If you say you won't accept a return I expect he'll open a case. If you still refuse return after case opened ebay are likely to just refund him anyway as the system is heavily biased towards buyers.

As eaststandmike says get him to return at his expense and go from there.
  • Options
    Cheers for the replies

If I genuinely believed the guy had ordered it in error then I'd have no problem with accepting a return

I fully expect him to send me a worse quality /broken game in return due to the earlier dodgy behaviour.

If my listing is down as 'no returns accepted' and there is nothing wrong with it, then why should I accept a return? He has listed his reason as that he ordered it in error
  • Options
    You're right you shouldn't have to accept a return but unfortunately ebay don't care. They'd rather you stopped selling than he stopped buying.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Ebay are wankers.
    I sold a bundle of decent kids clothes for £25, prob worth about £200, fcked up on the postage and ending up costing me about £10 excess in postage.

Had it posted recorded, heard nothing for 3 months, then buyer said I haven't received, they reimbursed them from my bank account the same day, I lost £200 of clothes and £10 postage.

I sold a book on Amazon. Heard nothing, then over a month later I receive an A-to-Z guarantee claim stating the item was never received. I check tracking which showed 'delivered' (no signature) and I politely messaged the buyer to double check. Credit to the buyer, they offered to cancel the claim as they could not be sure they received it as they order many books without cataloguing what is/isn't received.

That begs the question however - how did they know they hadn't received it? Mind boggling - Amazon sided with the seller before the refund, of course.
  • Options
    RanTooFar said:

Ebay are wankers.

I sold a book on Amazon. Heard nothing, then over a month later I receive an A-to-Z guarantee claim stating the item was never received. I check tracking which showed 'delivered' (no signature) and I politely messaged the buyer to double check. Credit to the buyer, they offered to cancel the claim as they could not be sure they received it as they order many books without cataloguing what is/isn't received.

That begs the question however - how did they know they hadn't received it? Mind boggling - Amazon sided with the seller before the refund, of course.
    We've had loads of stuff delivered to neighbours or left outside. I think stuff could easily go missing after 'delivery' but before it's actually received by the buyer. I think sometimes the drivers are under too much time pressure to ensure that everything is managed properly.
  • Options
    I think a lesson for the future (though it won't help Ben this time) is that if anyone is selling electricals on ebay they'd be advised to include the serial number in the description. In fact, if ebay had the foresight to introduce a serial number box on the web-form it might cut down on the number of disputes.
  • Options
    Stig said:

We've had loads of stuff delivered to neighbours or left outside. I think stuff could easily go missing after 'delivery' but before it's actually received by the buyer. I think sometimes the drivers are under too much time pressure to ensure that everything is managed properly.

Yes, but in that particular instance - the buyer had no way to confirm that she hadn't received it herself and went ahead to claim with Amazon anyway. Point being that you really do not have any rights and people casually abuse the system.

It's a lesson to send everything by signed delivery.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Cheers for the replies

If I genuinely believed the guy had ordered it in error then I'd have no problem with accepting a return

I fully expect him to send me a worse quality /broken game in return due to the earlier dodgy behaviour.

If my listing is down as 'no returns accepted' and there is nothing wrong with it, then why should I accept a return? He has listed his reason as that he ordered it in error

I have sympathies with your situation. I think amateur sellers on Ebay get a poor deal and I doubt you'll win.
    The newish Consumer Contracts Regs (replacing the distance selling regs) provide the on-line purchaser with the absolute right to return goods as long as that is done within 14 days. There need to be no faults or damage. The punter merely changing his mind is sufficient reason.
    The probable only sticking point is whether you are a "trader" as defined. If you regularly but not necessarily frequently use Ebay to flog stuff, you may well be a "trader".
    So, in short, stating "no returns" is probably irrelevant, and it is likely that Ebay would take that line in any dispute.
  • Options
    Hmmm... all this makes me wary of selling on ebay in future - have sold a few bits in the past with no major problems. Worst was when a parcel went to Germany instead of Greece - I kid you not! It did eventually arrive but there was a very tense period watching the online tracker. Successfully claimed compensation which I was going to give to the buyer as he was the one who was inconvenienced but he insisted I keep it (there are some nice guys about).
  • Options
    I don't sell to International buyers, UK only. If someone from abroad does not read the disclaimer on the bottom of my adverts and wins the item I use the ebay international postage scheme. What happens is the buyer pays the P&P you were asking for and then ebay invoice him for the extra to deliver it abroad.

I was selling some small electrical items before Christmas and a guy from France bid and won on an item for £5.00 plus £1.50 P&P. He paid me my £6.50 and had to pay ebay another £8.00 on top to have it delivered. the item was only £6.00 to buy new so he really did his research.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Used to use E-Bay for selling quite a lot but had two bad experiences, basically the people didn't trun up for the goods, tried to get them blacklisted, which didn't work and I got left with the bill. Informed E-bay that I wouldn't use them again and they said sorry but they cannot do anything about it.
  • Options
    daveaddick,

The norm on ebay is if buyers are collecting from your house they pay cash on the day, so if they do not turn up they have no item and you have no money. You can open a case file on ebay for this sort of thing and they will let you re-list it for free. It is hassle but you should not be left with any bills?

If they paid you but still did not turn up then happy days, keep quiet and sell the item again.
  • Options
    when you think about it its the c..tish people out there who have no consideration for others not ebay.

I had somebody try it on who lived nea reading and said they weren't in the condition I sent the item, I said I'm there for football next week Ill pop in on the way and give him his money back and check the item, he never replied and never heard no more from him.

Met some real genuine nice people on ebay, my rating is about 750 or something I think, shame that 1% of people on there spoil it for others.
  • Options
    Thanks Mike I did all that but ended up out of pocket. I have had good experiences as well, sold a pretty Valuable guitar which the buyer wanted to collect but paid by PayPal first to show good faith so not all bad.
  • Options

Thanks Mike I did all that but ended up out of pocket. I have had good experiences as well, sold a pretty Valuable guitar which the buyer wanted to collect but paid by PayPal first to show good faith so not all bad.

Sod that, cash on collection then cancel the order between you, saves ebay fees and Paypal fees :)

• Options

when you think about it its the c..tish people out there who have no consideration for others not ebay.

I had somebody try it on who lived nea reading and said they weren't in the condition I sent the item, I said I'm there for football next week Ill pop in on the way and give him his money back and check the item, he never replied and never heard no more from him.

Met some real genuine nice people on ebay, my rating is about 750 or something I think, shame that 1% of people on there spoil it for others.

Thanks Katrien, at least it looks as if you are popular on ebay :smile:
  • Options
    I purposely didn't put 2% for that reason