Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eltham 1977

2»

Comments

• Was Eltham Well hall basically where Eltham sation is now?

No mate. Was further back down Sherard Rd where the 'new' doctors surgery place is.

cheers

• That'll learn 'im.
  • edited August 2015
    Haven't had the chance to watch it yet as it doesn't seem to want to work on my iPhone.

I loved Eltham Park Station. I think we played Fulham Away the day before it closed in 85 and that was the last time I used it. Scandalous that they closed both stations and replaced them with that carbuncle.

On the subject of all things railway, does anyone remember what was the other side of the tunnel under the line from Dunvegan Road. Was it just a path and steps up to what was Glenlea Road between the houses?
  • edited August 2015
    Fascinating stuff brings back so many memories having been born and bred there.

Caters, that was the supermarket.

I remember the train crash, the driver had drunk the equivalent of a bottle of red wine, and was driving a seaside special back from Margate I believe and missed the bend just outside Well Hall station. That was in the days when there was still a coal yard where the new houses are, and the train ploughed right through it.

They didn't mention that there was (if I remember correctly) 13 places you could drink starting from the Yorkshire Grey to the top of the High Street including Eltham Hill Club.

There were three cinemas in Eltham at one stage, the Odeon, The Palace and The Gaumont which is now a Bingo Hall next to the school, not to mention a great swimming pool where I spent most of my leisure time. Nobody mentioned Eltham Lido which was on their doorsteps. Great place for an outside swim.

I certainly remember the A2 being chocca from Friday nights until Sunday evenings when we lived in Appleton Road.

Happy days.

• Fascinating stuff brings back so many memories having been born and bred there.

I remember the train crash, the driver had drunk the equivalent of a bottle of red wine, and was driving a seaside special back from Margate I believe and missed the bend just outside Well Hall station. That was in the days when there was still a coal yard where the new houses are, and the train ploughed right through it.

They didn't mention that there was (if I remember correctly) 13 places you could drink starting from the Yorkshire Grey to the top of the High Street including Eltham Hill Club.

There were three cinemas in Eltham at one stage, the Odeon, The Palace and The Gaumont which is now a Bingo Hall next to the school, not to mention a great swimming pool where I spent most of my leisure time. Nobody mentioned Eltham Lido which was on their doorsteps. Great place for an outside swim.

I certainly remember the A2 being chocca from Friday nights until Sunday evenings when we lived in Appleton Road.

Happy days.

Man of Kent, Rising Sun, Carpenters Arms, Castle, Park Tavern, Greyhound, Crown, Kings Arms, Chequers, and White Hart are the ten Eltham pubs I remember from that era. So if you add the Yorkshire Grey and the club that only makes 12. Was there somewhere else?

I remember Bobby Moore opening the Ladbrookes sport shop on the corner of Passey Place in 1976, used to be Payns menswear.

Caters became Presto.
  • I enjoyed that although I notice that they stayed in the 'posher' end of town.

I was hoping to see a 7 year old Suede mooching around the mean streets of Middle Park :)

Me too, I was 9, lived in the cul de sac opposite the church down towards what is now badgers sports
  • Riviera said:

Happy days.

Man of Kent, Rising Sun, Carpenters Arms, Castle, Park Tavern, Greyhound, Crown, Kings Arms, Chequers, and White Hart are the ten Eltham pubs I remember from that era. So if you add the Yorkshire Grey and the club that only makes 12. Was there somewhere else?

I remember Bobby Moore opening the Ladbrookes sport shop on the corner of Passey Place in 1976, used to be Payns menswear.

Caters became Presto.
    It must have been 12 then, but you could lob in the Conservative Club at the very top of Eltham.
  • Like the way they were using the News Shopper for the parrot's cage (8:20).

Reassuring to know some things never change ....

That's probably why parrots learn such bad language :-)
  • Fascinating stuff brings back so many memories having been born and bred there.

Happy days.

I'm sure Caters became Tesco. And I think the supermarket in the clip was The Co-Operative - pink stamps as well! I remember my Dad sending me there about three times in one day to buy sugar, as there was a shortage and you could only buy one two pound bag every visit.

They sold some marvellous processed cheese there as well.

I spent my summers in the Lido, living at 'Parkside' in Glenesk Road during my formative years. The shop that served the Lido, also had a counter opening onto the park. What a fantastic place for families and the whole design puts some modern facilities to shame.

I was mad for 'Funny Faces' ice cream in those days.

Tennis courts and a putting green in the park was always a great way to finish the day.

• 1977, the year I entered this mortal coil
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

Happy days.

I'm sure Caters became Tesco. And I think the supermarket in the clip was The Co-Operative - pink stamps as well! I remember my Dad sending me there about three times in one day to buy sugar, as there was a shortage and you could only buy one two pound bag every visit.

They sold some marvellous processed cheese there as well.

I spent my summers in the Lido, living at 'Parkside' in Glenesk Road during my formative years. The shop that served the Lido, also had a counter opening onto the park. What a fantastic place for families and the whole design puts some modern facilities to shame.

I was mad for 'Funny Faces' ice cream in those days.

Tennis courts and a putting green in the park was always a great way to finish the day.

Caters defo bcame Presto. Tesco was in Pound Place, only a small one by today's standards.

Although I lived in Eltham from 1971, I rarely used the Eltham Park lido as the one at Danson Park was so much better.
  • Watched it last night, fantastic film.

Would love have seen myself in the Deansfield playground, although I would have been in the infant part at that time.

Eltham Park Station only existed as a memory assisted by a few photos online, but to see it here including the man with the destination board is great.

One of my friends used to live on the single lane bit of the Rochester Way. Something had to be done, but the way the Relief Road was planned was a disaster for Eltham. Surely they could have tunnelled it?
  • Totally agree, watching it brought back so many happy memories, smashing beard on Mr White the London Bobby!
  • Really enjoyed this. I can just about remember presto. Where abouts was it?
  • Facinating stuff,remember both the stations as well,want there a crash there in the 70s

I used to live in Glenlea Road and i slept through the crash. My brother was in the front of the house and remembers the train going very fast past the house before the loud bang.