Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spitfire and Hurricane fly past today

I know there's a lot of interest about the war on this site, so I thought I would remind people of the fly past of 18 spitfire and hurricanes that occurring today, unfortunately I'm at work, but for those who are under the three flight paths then it should be a tremendous sight. If anyone takes any photos would be great if you could post them.

I don't know if we will see anything but ...
"Largest ever Battle of Britain flypast set for Kent and Sussex
Vintage warplanes will roar over Kent, Sussex and Surrey on Tuesday to commemorate the fiercest fighting of the Battle of Britain.
The aircraft will sweep across the three counties to recreate the Second World War patrols of 75 years ago.
In what has been hailed as the biggest memorial flight of its kind, 18 Spitfires and six Hurricanes will scramble from Biggin Hill Airport at 12.45pm, before splitting into three formations of eight aircraft.
The first – Grice flight – will head south over Westerham before overflying Surrey and West Sussex, en route to the Solent, Isle of Wight and Portsmouth.
The second – Mortimer flight – will go east over Downe, Chelsfield, Farningham, Eynsford, Detling and RAF Kenley.
The third – Hamlyn flight – will route south-east over Sevenoaks, Yalding, Ashford and on to Dover.
The 24 fighters are scheduled to return before 2pm, with one flight maintaining a protective aerial patrol around the airport while the other planes touch down – a carbon copy of the tactics used on August 18, 1940.
..."
http://www.courier.co.uk/Largest-Battle-Britai…/…/story.html

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2015
    thanks for alerting me to this @CharltonKerry

the link doesn't seem to be working, but I found one on the bbc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33966632

really a shame i am at work, would of liked to of seen it, I know they have some warplanes at the water gala in broadstairs on Wednesday don't know what ones they are?.
  • Options
    I will be at work but was lucky enough to be in chelsfield Friday when the Red Arrows were cruising around in formation. Always a fantastic sight.
  • Options
    I'm heading to Wings and Wheels on August bank holiday weekend. It's at RAF Dunsfold (Top Gear Test Track)

Great weekend of air displays and car showing - well worth a look if anyone is interested in that kind of thing.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I'm heading to Wings and Wheels on August bank holiday weekend. It's at RAF Dunsfold (Top Gear Test Track)

Great weekend of air displays and car showing - well worth a look if anyone is interested in that kind of thing.

Might go along to this on the Sunday as its not far from me. Have you been before?
  • Options
    We live in Farnborough so we have had quite a show this afternoon. Luckily, although it has been very cloudy all day, the planes all flew well below the clouds so we had a fantastic view. 19 Spitfires and 5 Hurricanes flew out in 6 groups of 4 and all came back to Biggin Hill between 1.30 and 2. There have never been this many of these iconic fighters in the air together since WW2. Wonderful.
  • Options
    We

Swisdom said:

Might go along to this on the Sunday as its not far from me. Have you been before?
    Went about 6 years ago. Great day. The euro fighter and Vulcan were unbelievable to hear and see. Red arrows are, as expected, awesome. All depends on the weather but well worth a day out.
    Only issue we had before was the traffic getting in in the first place.
  • Options
    Was driving near Southend Airport on Saturday and a Vulcan bomber was flying around.

Beautiful sight