Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jermaine Pennant

Comments

• Options

Thought about this over my morning coffee. Overall, I'd say no. JBG is already star man on the wing and for free kicks. If he was injured, I'd rather see someone from the youth team given a go. If we didn't have JBG, I might think differently, but as things stand, I wouldn't see him getting into the side.

But what if JBG was out for months? Would you really want a youth team player filling in for that amount of time? And if so, who? Charles-Cook could do it but it seems like he's also our reserve right back at the moment. Squad building is all about planning for what happens in the worst case scenario. We suffered last season because we didn't have a big enough squad to cover for injuries and tiredness in the first 11, and we didn't have any players to offer something different when we got found out. Pennant would offer pace, experience and some classic wing play, which is one thing our squad is lacking. We have JBG, who cuts inside and provides a goal threat, Ceballos who works as a wide playmaker and Cousins who offers defensive solidity, but no line-hugging out-and-out winger. If Pennant is happy to start off on the bench and work his way into the squad then I think he'd be a decent signing
    Whether Pennant would be a good signing I don't know, Eagles seemed like he could be that player, but he never really convinced. Completely agree we need an option like him in the squad though. Even more so with Harriott out of Luzon's plans and Moussa having been out so long.

I'm also not sure we have any wingers in the academy that could step up to the first team this season. Charles-Cook would be a central midfielder doing a job out wide, rather than an out and out winger.
  • Options
    Pennant is also right footed so he offers something different to JMG. We need to replace Eagles. He did score a few set pieces for Wigan last season.
  • Options
    JMG? Who is he?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Thought about this over my morning coffee. Overall, I'd say no. JBG is already star man on the wing and for free kicks. If he was injured, I'd rather see someone from the youth team given a go. If we didn't have JBG, I might think differently, but as things stand, I wouldn't see him getting into the side.

But what if JBG was out for months? Would you really want a youth team player filling in for that amount of time? And if so, who? Charles-Cook could do it but it seems like he's also our reserve right back at the moment. Squad building is all about planning for what happens in the worst case scenario. We suffered last season because we didn't have a big enough squad to cover for injuries and tiredness in the first 11, and we didn't have any players to offer something different when we got found out. Pennant would offer pace, experience and some classic wing play, which is one thing our squad is lacking. We have JBG, who cuts inside and provides a goal threat, Ceballos who works as a wide playmaker and Cousins who offers defensive solidity, but no line-hugging out-and-out winger. If Pennant is happy to start off on the bench and work his way into the squad then I think he'd be a decent signing
    Whether Pennant would be a good signing I don't know, Eagles seemed like he could be that player, but he never really convinced. Completely agree we need an option like him in the squad though. Even more so with Harriott out of Luzon's plans and Moussa having been out so long.

I'm also not sure we have any wingers in the academy that could step up to the first team this season. Charles-Cook would be a central midfielder doing a job out wide, rather than an out and out winger.
    Eagles I saw as more of an attacking midfielder. I remember him playing centrally in his career and sometimes quite deep in the midfield. He wasn't an incisive as he needed to be and in the end he was ok but we were probably right to let him go given what we've brought in instead. I think whether Pennant is worthwhile or not depends on how much of his pace he has left. If he's still speedy he'd be great to bring on late in the game to offer a goal threat
  • Options
    We can't afford players to be clogging up the wage bill, I'd rather we had an up and coming player to be honest, but saying that a bit of experience won't harm.

Whether JP is fit enough, motivated enough and shows the right attitude,is really down to Guy and his team to suss out on the training ground , we only want people that can deliver consistently, rather than players looking for one last pay day.

I'm also surprised we haven't brought an unknown player in from abroad, and am slightly concerned that we've run out of budget, as there are still so many glaring gaps in the squad.
  • Options
    I think we have to go British as part of the regulations.
  • Options
    Johnson did OK for us last season, you certainly couldn't criticise his attitude when playing for us, and he had a dodgy reputation too.

Incidentally, he's just signed for Pune
  • Options
    Oh well, we've had a good look and are presumably confident of getting someone else.
  • Options
    reported in SLP too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh ok.
  • Options
    I am sure that the club has good reasons for not pursuing this. Does anyone have an accurate update on likely returns for all of our injured first team members?
  • Options
    'Pennant scored three goals in 13 games for wigan last season'

He's a midfielder, how many passes is what actually matters.
  • Options

But someone told us not to worry about no signings as Pennant and a couple of prem loans would sign by today.

Shocked that we've been mislead

Two Bournemouth players are on their way.
    No, that's just Yann and the extra timber he's carrying
  • Options
    The word on the mean streets of New Eltham is ?

Thou Jermaine Pennant would mix fine with the lads.

The feeling was that Mrs Pennant might be too upfront for the rest of the WAGS.
  • Options
    On a separate note I see Andy Johnson is a free agent. Only 34, short term deal to the end of the season if fit enough?
  • Options
    drewman said:

On a separate note I see Andy Johnson is a free agent. Only 34, short term deal to the end of the season if fit enough?

He's scored 2 goals in the last 3 seasons. I'll pass thanks.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I for one am happy he hasn't signed. Bennett in now hopefully
  • Options
    Gutted we didn't sign her him.
  • Options
    Adebayor?
  • Options

I just read that the club have turned Pennant down

One of the best decisions GL will make this season.
  • Options

Gutted we didn't sign her him.

beauty and the b(r)east ((:>)