Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough v Charlton | Tue 25 Aug | 7:45pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Football League Cup – 2nd Round
Peterborough United v Charlton Athletic
7:45pm Kick-Off

Introduction
Once again the league season takes a brief break as the next round of the League Cup interrupts usual proceeding, and with Wolverhampton Wanderers next in the league, the Addicks have only two more chances to make a good start to their season before the first International break comes into effect… Of course I’m getting ahead of myself, and before we can look to Wolves we must (as the Manager would say) take each game as it comes, standing between Charlton and the 3rd Round of the Cup is League One opposition: Peterborough United.

The Opposition
In the Championship as recent as 2013; Peterborough were relegated from England’s 2nd Tier the same year that Charlton made their return after a three year exile… Since then Peterborough have never looked like making a return to the Championship and despite ending 2014 in the final Play-Off spot, they couldn’t cap off the season with promotion… Darren Ferguson (Son of Sir Alex) has since left the club and has been replaced by the unknown figure in Dave Robertson.

Last Season: As already mentioned; Peterborough once again parted company with Darren Ferguson and replaced him with the unknown: Dave Robertson, having never had a career in Football; Robertson was a bit of a surprise appointment for the Posh and in a very tight League One season; 9th was the best that Peterborough could finish.

Pre-Season: You have to look at Peterborough’s friendly results and be impressed… there were four wins including a 6-0 win over Irish side: Cliftonville whilst there was a 3-3 draw against Premier League: West Ham United and a 3-2 win over Tottenham Hotspur, defeats would follow against non-league opposition in Grimsby Town (2-1) and Bishops Stortford (4-2) which prove that Pre-Season results should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

This Season: Well it’s not been brilliant so far… Just two wins so far this season with just the one of those coming in the League against nearest rivals: Colchester United… Of course they picked up a 2-0 win against Crawley Town in the First Round of this competition yet three defeats have the Posh languishing in 18th place.

Key Player
My player to watch tomorrow night is a player who has probably had one of the saddest Charlton careers to-date… Ben Alnwick came down to the Valley from East Yorkshire and Barnsley, after an early career which involved spells at Sunderland and Tottenham Hotspur; Alnwick was destined for great things, unfortunately, greatness never arrived for the lad from the North East and whilst at Spurs, the countless loan spells insured as has happened for so many youngsters of the North London Academy.

A permanent move came about in South East London in 2013 (after a short spell with Barnsley) and after dislodging the first choice ‘keeper in Ben Hamer, you’d have thought that Alnwick had finally found his home… Sadly due to the takeover by Roland Duchatalet and due to the arrival of Yohann Thuram, Alnwick would become one of the first Addicks out of the door under the new regieme and after joining Leyton Orient it seemed as though the real reasons for his lack of a permanent home would rear its ugly head.

Making just the one appearance in East London, it would transpire that Ben was struggling with unspecified medical problems and would leave Orient shortly after… Ben was a well-liked Addick and thankfully in this story there is a happy ending…. In the summer of 2014, Ben signed a three year deal at current side: Peterborough and having made 41-appearances it seems as though he’s finally found his home.

Possible Line-Up
Pope
Charles-Cook – Sarr – Diarra – Bergdich
Gudmundsson – Kashi – Cousins – Holmes-Dennis
Ahearne-Grant – Kennedy

Prediction
Peterborough United 1-3 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Options
    Igor scores a late goal to wrap up a 3 - 1 win.
  • Options
    Shame Reza's injured this would have been a great chance to give him some minutes whilst bolstering out limited looking options upfront
  • Options

Igor scores a late goal to wrap up a 3 - 1 win.

My thoughts too, although I really hope Ben Alnwick has a great game
  • Options
    Gudmundsson's 50th appearance for the club if he plays tomorrow night.

Gary Sutton from Lincolnshire in charge. 2 games, 7 yellows no reds this season. 34 games last season 91 yellows 5 reds.

Last time in charge of CAFC match at Hillsborough. A 2-0 defeat 22/12/2012.
  • Options
    1-3 to GL's Red & White Army (or what ever colours the teams wears.)
  • Options
    Comfortable two nil win for us, goals from Ahearne-Grant & Cousins.
  • Options
    I think it'll be:
    Pope
    Charles-Cook - Bauer - Sarr - Fox
    Ceballos - Ba - Cousins - Bergdich
    Ahearne-Grant - Makienok

Very similar side to what was against D&R. Holmes-Dennis to come on and play a part. Ceballos and Ba I expect to be fit and play otherwise Gudmundsson will come in for Ceballos.

Going by that team, adding in Henderson, Solly, Diarra, Kashi, Gudmundsson, Jackson, Watt, Vetokele and Reza. As well as a couple of signings, we have an exciting squad.

3-1 Charlton.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Following the gargantuan effort put in by the team on Saturday I would rest nearly all of them especially those with knocks and fatigue. Therefore for me it would be a case of put a side out made up of most of the rest that didn't play in the U21s game today as follows;

Pope
    CC, Sarr, Lennon Holmes Dennis
    Kennedy, Cousins, Jackson (if fit), Bergdich, Harriott
    KAG

Bench to consist of Mitov and those that have recovered the best since the Hull game.

Apologies to those travelling if this is not what you would want to see and for that reason hope I'm wrong but needs must.
  • Options
    With the U21's game being abbandoned due to a waterlogged pitch, we should be able to get a couple of those players in the side. shouldn't be much of a problem but the cup holds many twists and turns, but still we should be fine no matter what side Guy puts out. 0-2 Charlton (Couldn't be happier for Alnwick)
  • Options
    3-0 KAG hat-trick.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we are struggling to put out a decent team AND rest some of the knackered players for the important trip to Wolves.

Add a wet pitch plus our track record in the League Cup, and I predict our first defeat of the season
  • Options
    Because GL just does not like to lose I think we'll win this. And, I think the starting 11 will be a mixture of academy and experience. Same mix on the bench.
  • Options
    Is ghee banned for this, or any game(s), following his wonderful celebration on saturday?
  • Options
    addicks win, but I don't think it will be easy or comfortable.....1-2 addicks.
    Just to let you know - I'm hoping to start the match thread circa 7 pm, however my elderly mother was admitted to Queen Elizabeth hospital Woolwich yesterday after a fall (may be caused by a stroke) and has broken her shoulder, hand and cracked her hip. I'll be visiting this afternoon and hoping to be back in time for 7pm - providing there are no complications. If not perhaps someone else can start and I'll join if and when I can. Many thanks.
  • Options
    @Redmidland I don't mind doing it in your absence tonight if you can't make it back in time.

The very best wishes to your mother, hope everything turns out ok.
  • Options

@Redmidland I don't mind doing it in your absence tonight if you can't make it back in time.

The very best wishes to your mother, hope everything turns out ok.

Thanks @Addickted2TheReds, if you don't see a thread started by 7 pm then I'm going to be late.
  • Options

Just to let you know - I'm hoping to start the match thread circa 7 pm, however my elderly mother was admitted to Queen Elizabeth hospital Woolwich yesterday after a fall (may be caused by a stroke) and has broken her shoulder, hand and cracked her hip. I'll be visiting this afternoon and hoping to be back in time for 7pm - providing there are no complications. If not perhaps someone else can start and I'll join if and when I can. Many thanks.

Sorry to hear this RM. Hope she's okay
  • Options
    I can't see us winning this one 2-0 to them.
  • Options
    Sage said:

I think it'll be:
    Pope
    Charles-Cook - Bauer - Sarr - Fox
    Ceballos - Ba - Cousins - Bergdich
    Ahearne-Grant - Makienok

Very similar side to what was against D&R. Holmes-Dennis to come on and play a part. Ceballos and Ba I expect to be fit and play otherwise Gudmundsson will come in for Ceballos.

Going by that team, adding in Henderson, Solly, Diarra, Kashi, Gudmundsson, Jackson, Watt, Vetokele and Reza. As well as a couple of signings, we have an exciting squad.

3-1 Charlton.

It won't be Ceballos, he was at the training ground yesterday limping heavily.

• Options
    Don't worry Red your mum is more important than football, hope all goes well for her.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very young team and a comfortable defeat
  • Options
    15 minutes on the train for me so this is ideal.
    With a mixture of eager u21 players and a few first teamers I expect a comfortable win.
    Peterborough haven't had a good start and their fans are quick to get on the back of their team when they are losing.

1-3
  • Options
    We have a number of injuries. The players will be shattered after putting in a shift on Saturday. I'm expecting a mixture of youth and experience. This all points to our first loss of the season. 2-1 to the Posh.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

RM, very sorry to hear about your mother she must absolutely come first.

If I go it will be a very late decision, if I don't go then I will participate in match thread duties.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    a scrappy 1-0 to us,

there number 10 I know through a friend so did get offered comps for tonight but unfortunately couldn't make it, as was planned on working from home owing to the tube strike.
  • Options
    If we use a lot of youngsters, I can see us coming unstuck tonight. Which would be a shame as the next round has the potential to bring a Premier club to The Valley.
    However, due to the current injury list. I would be loathe to risk too many senior players particularly JBG.
    I really hope we don't end up with extra time. Does the match have to finish tonight or is a replay possible?
  • Options
    Would like a win and a 'big' tie in the next round but mainly just don't want any more injuries
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I wouldn't risk Watts if there's even a slight concern about him.
    I wouldn't want a big tie next round, just someone we can beat will do.
  • Options
    Looking forward to this short ish trip, real mix n match team I would think, but like to think we still have enough to sea em off, 0-2.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!