Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Music Festivals

Any lifers been / going to one, any you'd recommend / couldn't wait to get home from?

Comments

• Been reading twice very much full of kids who just got there exam results and r having there first weekend away from parents. Been v-festival at Chelmsford twice full of townie wannabes and this year went to Glastonbury this year by far the best of all . So much variation of music and lots more going on be prepared for a lot of walking
  • Boomtown is the best in the UK imo
  • Fed up trying to get Glastonbury tickets online for me and mates after many years of going and enjoying both in the dim and distant and for the past three or four . Have " created" my own mini festival whilst on Summer Break in California. Saw the B52s and the Beat - referred to here as the English Beat - at the Pacific Ampitheatre in Costa Messa Orange County a few weeks ago . Caught Hall and Oates in a place called Murphys in Northern California last night . Also saw a Grateful Dead tribute band in a club in Carson City near Lake Tahoe a week ago . All very enjoyable and notably much much cheaper to get tickets for a show here in the States than at home . Good seats / venues but an absolute fraction of the price.Makes one wonder why bothering with some London / festival tickets .
  • Love Supreme Jazz Festival.

It's small, good vibes, good price for the festival, not too far away (Glynde), and the acts they get are immense - especially for a jazz head like me (Hiatus Kaiyote, Snarky Puppy, The Bad Plus Joshua Redman, Gregory Porter, Chaka Khan, Van Morrison, Bill Laurance Project etc etc etc).

Also there's a uni society/collective of us that try to go most years from Bristol and we took 30-odd this time round. So much fun.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Love Supreme Jazz Festival.

It's small, good vibes, good price for the festival, not too far away (Glynde), and the acts they get are immense - especially for a jazz head like me (Hiatus Kaiyote, Snarky Puppy, The Bad Plus Joshua Redman, Gregory Porter, Chaka Khan, Van Morrison, Bill Laurance Project etc etc etc).

Also there's a uni society/collective of us that try to go most years from Bristol and we took 30-odd this time round. So much fun.

I was working in Lausanne a few years ago and spent a couple of afternoons at the Montreaux Jazz Festival, a 30 minute train journey. Didn't see any of the headline acts but plenty of free gigs going on, really enjoyed it.
  • PaddyP17 said:

I was working in Lausanne a few years ago and spent a couple of afternoons at the Montreaux Jazz Festival, a 30 minute train journey. Didn't see any of the headline acts but plenty of free gigs going on, really enjoyed it.
    For some reason jazz seems much more intimate and appreciative of the crowd: for instance, at the Bristol International Jazz & Blues Festival in March I was lucky enough to play with the likes of Pee Wee Ellis (member of James Brown's original backing band) in the late night open jam sessions - really up close and personal.
  • PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

For some reason jazz seems much more intimate and appreciative of the crowd
    Presumably, because the crowd numbers are small ?
  • Apart from the artists you'd mentioned Paddy, are there any other jazz artists you'd recommend?
  • PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

For some reason jazz seems much more intimate and appreciative of the crowd: for instance, at the Bristol International Jazz & Blues Festival in March I was lucky enough to play with the likes of Pee Wee Ellis (member of James Brown's original backing band) in the late night open jam sessions - really up close and personal.
    I saw Pee Wee Ellis play with a lot of the JB's (maceo Parker, Fred Wesley, St Clair Pickney, Bobby Bird etc) at the forum about 25 years ago. One of the best gigs I've been to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Apart from the artists you'd mentioned Paddy, are there any other jazz artists you'd recommend?

Wow, how long have we got... Do you mean in terms of modern jazz or across the genre's life?

Modern: Roy Hargrove - who is the best trumpeter of his generation probably (better than Marsalis by a ways for me). GoGo Penguin - piano trio, also e.s.t (Esbjorn Svensson Trio) who are no longer active because Esbjorn Svensson passed away in 2010 which was a great shame. Gregory Porter (vocalist) also, Esperanza Spalding (vocals and immense double bass), Cat Empire, Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band...

I don't really know where to begin or end!

Not-quite-jazz-but-still: Brass Bands (hereafter BB), specifically Youngblood BB, Rebirth BB, Hot 8 BB, Soul Rebels.

Actual jazz people who are big dogs: Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, Charles Mingus, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Sonny Stitt, Sonny Rollins, Cannonball Adderley, Jaco Pastorius, Charlie Parker, Buddy Rich, Count Basie... There are toooooooo many to name here and this was off the top of my head

I can link a couple of Spotify playlists that I just have knocking about if you like.
  • Leeds is a muddy hell hole how the fuck anyone enjoyed this mess I don't know
  • PaddyP17 said:

Apart from the artists you'd mentioned Paddy, are there any other jazz artists you'd recommend?

Wow, how long have we got... Do you mean in terms of modern jazz or across the genre's life?

Modern: Roy Hargrove - who is the best trumpeter of his generation probably (better than Marsalis by a ways for me). GoGo Penguin - piano trio, also e.s.t (Esbjorn Svensson Trio) who are no longer active because Esbjorn Svensson passed away in 2010 which was a great shame. Gregory Porter (vocalist) also, Esperanza Spalding (vocals and immense double bass), Cat Empire, Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band...

Not-quite-jazz-but-still: Brass Bands (hereafter BB), specifically Youngblood BB, Rebirth BB, Hot 8 BB, Soul Rebels.

Actual jazz people who are big dogs: Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, Charles Mingus, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Sonny Stitt, Sonny Rollins, Cannonball Adderley, Jaco Pastorius, Charlie Parker, Buddy Rich, Count Basie... There are toooooooo many to name here and this was off the top of my head

I can link a couple of Spotify playlists that I just have knocking about if you like.
    Ggreaat

• PaddyP17 said:

Apart from the artists you'd mentioned Paddy, are there any other jazz artists you'd recommend?

Ggreaat

Don't forget to check out the Boxwell Heath Archery Club, they're real stalwarts of the scene at the moment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw-FGZMR-TU
  • Leeds is a muddy hell hole how the fuck anyone enjoyed this mess I don't know

Can imagine, not my cup of tea really (festivals, though the Hastings Beer and Music Festival is a really good night out) really enjoy live music though and we get plenty of that down here, off out to see a Parisian band this afternoon called Les Grys-Grys they play mainly 60's R&B.
  • I went to the first day of the Ramblin' Man Festival in Mote Park, Maidstone this year. Local with not too much publicity, attracted an older crowd so not much pushing, shoving and jumping. Quite relaxed and easy to get a good position, also had a real ale festival on-site. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would. No on-site camping but available at quite a steep price, I thought, nearby.
  • Glasto was amazing when I went a few times in the late 90s/ early 2000s but I gather it's more like going to a muddy Bluewater these days. As above, Reading was a GCSE celebration thing.

Loved the Phoenix festival in 95 or 96.
  • Saw Genesis at Reading way way back. They did Watcher of the Skies.

Remember it was quite a lot of bother trying to get in without tickets....

Not the sort of thing for the older generations really!