Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If you were due to get paid today...

check your balance/ online banking statement. There's been a glitch with HSBC's IT systems that mean outgoing BACS transfers from their business customers haven't got through for some reason - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34084767 (despite the headline, it's not an issue with whether you are an HSBC customer, but whether the people who were trying to pay you are). It's particularly important if your mortgage or other direct debits were set up to come out today, as if not having the money in your account is going to send you over your overdraft limit, you're at risk of bank charges.

Comments

• Options
    What is it with banks, millions of pounds paid in bonuses , and can't get the basics right.
  • Options
    POETS day innit.
  • Options
    Sorry about the fact you don't get a bonus no more but nor do I and more to the point why should I for doing my job that I'm paid for?
    Unless ur on a sales based commission job then you don't deserve a bonus for simply doing a job that your paid to do to ur highest ability
  • Options
    I am the boss of myself
    And I never think I deserve a bonus so I never reward myself with one
    If I want more money it's simple I do more hours and don't go fishing or football
  • Options

What is it with banks, millions of pounds paid in bonuses , and can't get the basics right.

Hate to pull you up on this but it's ignorance like this that really winds me up!! The bankers that get paid hundreds of thousands with bonuses in the millions are investment bankers. Not normal bankers that work in retail and sort out these sort of systems! The two are completely separate companies but under the same brand name!

The normal bankers earn 16-30k depending on what they do are forced to work incredibly hard and have had what little bonus they used to get ( usually £100-200 a year) cut completely because of bad publicity and peoples ignorance about how banks work! And for many people on that sort of money £200 makes a big difference to them!

I agree this sort of system failure should not be allowed but your statement was either sarcastic or incredibly ignorant!

I am sorry for anyone who is affected by this! But once you do get paid take a trip into branch and see someone. They will waive any overdraft fees and can compensate you up to £250.

You expect a bonus for taking money out of a draw and passing it through a gap in a window ?

• Options

I am the boss of myself
    And I never think I deserve a bonus so I never reward myself with one
    If I want more money it's simple I do more hours and don't go fishing or football

Give us a job!
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    shine166 said:

Hate to pull you up on this but it's ignorance like this that really winds me up!! The bankers that get paid hundreds of thousands with bonuses in the millions are investment bankers. Not normal bankers that work in retail and sort out these sort of systems! The two are completely separate companies but under the same brand name!

The normal bankers earn 16-30k depending on what they do are forced to work incredibly hard and have had what little bonus they used to get ( usually £100-200 a year) cut completely because of bad publicity and peoples ignorance about how banks work! And for many people on that sort of money £200 makes a big difference to them!

I agree this sort of system failure should not be allowed but your statement was either sarcastic or incredibly ignorant!

I am sorry for anyone who is affected by this! But once you do get paid take a trip into branch and see someone. They will waive any overdraft fees and can compensate you up to £250.

You expect a bonus for taking money out of a draw and passing it through a gap in a window ?

Oh yeah because that's all you ever do in a bank isn't it?
  • Options
    edited August 2015

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2962110/Shamed-HSBC-boss-7-4million-payout-high-street-banks-prepare-hand-5billion-bonuses.html

Perhaps they should have spent this on a better IT system.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is an IT issue; and from what I gather banks run on rather antiquated equipment. Apart from financial startups, most established banks don't want to mess about with critical infrastructure, mainly so issues like these don't crop up.

It does lead to a bit of a skills shortage and very good money if you're capable of working with their required tech.

I stand to be corrected, but from the software engineering contract side of things this is what I've seen and heard.

So I think blaming the bankers for taking bonuses isn't really relevant. Updating systems on that scale NEEDS to be done but is utterly terrifying from a technical perspective. There's a good story somewhere online about a trading platform that went bust purely because they transitioned their IT infrastructure and a developer left a debug option on, adding a very small amount of overhead to the software but meaning during trading time it couldn't keep up and transactions were lost. (Alas, that's a whole other rant as you'd have a distributed queuing system to avoid that outcome.)

It's actually quite refreshing in comparison to medical technology projects I've worked on; where new technologies have been thrown at problems that rely upon archaic protocols (PACS via HL7 etc) and rather worryingly issues have been ironed out during production. (I can only speak on behalf of private insurance companies and hospitals there.)
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

shine166 said:

Oh yeah because that's all you ever do in a bank isn't it?
    I've seen them photocopying stuff too
  • Options
    shine166 said:

You get a bonus for doing above and beyond set targets. If they don't exceed they don't get bonus.

You charge 50 quid for a tile that has black and white triangles on it.

I know who is contributing more to society.
  • Options
    Half the people here giving bankers a hard time are potentially self employed. Obviously none of them ever do any cash in hand work and don,t declare that to the tax man. !
    Part of being a bank employee is a bonus system. For most clerks in a branch, who earn £16000, the their bonus might be on a good year £1200. Hardly , time to get a new Porsche .