Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mikel Alonso

Just thought I'd share this with people. I received a parcel from Spain yesterday, a little perplexed as I don't know anyone there who would want to send me anything. On opening it I could see a Charlton shirt inside. Attached to the shirt was a note from Mikel Alonso which said "4 years late, but I will like to say thank you and say Happy Birthday to you with this t-shirt of my days in Charlton, warm regards Mikel". The Charlton shirt is his shirt from our League One winning season which he's signed.
The background to this is that my wife sent letters to various famous faces, including all of the Charlton squad, before my 40th Birthday asking for autographs/photos wishing me a Happy Birthday. Luckily I got a few back!
I know Mikel may not have had a glorious spell at Charlton, but to respond to this request ableit 4 years late by sending me a signed Charlton shirt shows a great deal of class and humility.
I found Mikel's tweeter account and thanked him for the signed shirt and again he responded almost immediately wishing all the best for me and for Charlton.
Thanks again Mikel.

Comments

• Options
    "I know Mikel may not have had a glorious spell at Charlton"

Understatement of the year comment.

There is no correlation between being a nice decent person and if you do or don't make it at CAFC.

Nice to know the Snail mail is still runningwalkingCrawling.

• Options
    That's a brilliant bizarre story. Well done Mikel
  • Options
    Out of interest, who else responded to sending a 40 year old man autographs ? :)
  • Options
    Most of the first team squad responded!
  • Options
    I always thought Mikel was a top bloke .

( Who ?)
  • Options

I always thought Mikel was a top bloke .

( Who ?)

That's what I was going to ask.

• Options
    Let's not play it all nice here
    Dish the dirt
    Who didn't respond !!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone not mentioned above
  • Options
    booooooooo to them
  • Options
    Great story. I'm about 4 years behind with CL inbox messages :-)
  • Options

In no particular order: John Sullivan, Hogan Ephraim, Chris Powell, Ben Hamer, Andy Hughes, Michael Morrison, Matt Taylor, Dale Stephens, Scott Wagstaff, Paul Benson, Chris Solly, Ruben Bover Izquierdo, Danny Hollands, Tosan Popo, Conor Gough, Jordan Cousins, Callum Harriott, Cedric Evina and Bradley Pritchard.

Wagstaff responded but Danny Green didn't. Says it all.

And that Jackson, what a ........
  • Options
    I told you Mikel existed.
  • Options
    When I saw the title I thought maybe he was signing as an attacking midfield option, thankfully it's a much more positive story. Well done mikel
  • Options
    How bad was his game? I know that season the squad was pretty settled but I'm always astounded he never got a second chance, but I never saw his first/only game.

For him to respond after so long I'm going to guess he was a genuine guy with a decent enough attitude... was he really that poor on the pitch?
  • Options
    I remember him doing us proud on Revista La Liga. Legend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    4 years nearer the pension at least. lol
  • Options
    I met Mikel in at Heathrow Terminal 3 the summer after he left us. Incredibly friendly and seemed pretty shocked to be recognised !
  • Options

His first appearance was pretty shocking but then every single person in that game was atrocious. He looked rusty beyond belief but he also never hid and showed for the ball a lot, even if he probably shouldn't have. I was also a bit surprised he never got near the team again but I also got the feeling he was a player foisted on Powell rather than one he picked out and he was never too inclined to pick him again.

That's my understanding.
  • Options
    All the more shaky signings of recent years have been allegedly foisted on to Powell. Leon Clarke, Alonso and the jokers of the Jan '14 transfer window.
  • Options
    Good on Mikel.

Right. Nego, Polish Pete, Repoint - take note. I'm expecting a shirt from each of you in 4 years time.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    drewman said:

All the more shaky signings of recent years have been allegedly foisted on to Powell. Leon Clarke, Alonso and the jokers of the Jan '14 transfer window.

All of which was known, certainly by staff, at the time of their signing, and before any later judgements about the performance of the players involved. It's no coincidence that Powell was reluctant to play any of the players he didn't want in the first place. However, Mark Gower was another shaky signing and no one has ever said that wasn't down to CP, because it was.
  • Options
    Amazing story. At least he delivered the shirt, he failed to deliver a pass to a team mate in that brilliant debut of his.
  • Options
    To be fair, at least Gower had been good for Swansea in the PL not long since.

Didn't Alonso have a relative who was decent?
  • Options

To be fair, at least Gower had been good for Swansea in the PL not long since.

Didn't Alonso have a relative who was decent?

Fernando? Decent player, but was more interested in fast cars than football.