Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Selling stuff on Gumtree

Hi folks,

I've just put my Galaxy Note 3 on Gumtree for a pretty reasonable price: £190.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/samsung-galaxy-note-3/1132185410

I've recieved interest within a few minutes of posting the ad (alarm bells ringing for no justifiable reason). Quite frankly the responses I've received haven't filled me with confidence. The grammar is appalling and for that reason I'm getting the impression everyone is out to rob me.

My first response was:
Hi pls is your phone still available? What is your last price?

This obviously doesn't make any sense. Was it really hard to type 'please'?

My second response was

Hello I am very interested in the samsung note you have for sale. I am only in eltham. Will you accept 150 cash within the next two hours ?

First of all 'eltham' isn't capitalised and secondly, who needs a phone this quickly?

My third response has been:

Hello mate is Samsung Galaxy Note 3
still available for sale? kindly massage me back now

I'm no Masseur and I only exchange money for goods and services. Also why does he want it so quickly?

Is there anyone on this forum with experience on Gumtree who can reassure me that they've sold to people with a limited grasp of the English language? Are there any common scams I should be looking out for?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I was keen until you said there wouldn't be a massage included.

I personally wouldn't think they are all dodgy because they use text speak. Just use a bit of common sense - only take cash and only hand it over once you've got the cash.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I had 2 rabbit hutches for sale on E-Bay (same difference), a few of weeks ago.

I also had a very quick cash offer, she said "Hello could I please buy 1 of these hutches and collect today would you except £10?".

She turned up & it wouldn't fit her car, so she took the smaller hutch & paid for it.

She said she would return for the larger one, if she could get a friend to come round with a people carrier. But that was 3 weeks ago & I've not heard from her since.

Anyone want a rabbit hutch for £10 ? :smile:
  • Options

I had 2 rabbit hutches for sale on E-Bay (same difference), a few of weeks ago.

I also had a very quick cash offer, she said "Hello could I please buy 1 of these hutches and collect today would you except £10?".

She turned up & it wouldn't fit her car, so she took the smaller hutch & paid for it.

She said she would return for the larger one, if she could get a friend to come round with a people carrier. But that was 3 weeks ago & I've not heard from her since.

Anyone want a rabbit hutch for £10 ? :smile:

Massage included?
  • Options
    Some bloke just offered me £20 and his cat.
  • Options
    What network and what's condition like mate?
  • Options

Some bloke just offered me £20 and his cat.

Oi, that's my cat, you homewrecker
  • Options
    Personally only use gumtree for more cumbersome items, would always use eBay for something like a phone - at least there's a record of the buyer in case of any issues.
  • Options
    The guy killed in Enfield last month did so due to an ad on Gumtree that resulted in an attempted mugging
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I sold an Xbox on gumtree, I also received some "strange" emails, I held on and sold it to someone I felt comfortable with, they turned up when they said they would with the asking price.
  • Options
    Hey Nick, I geeve you henna and a massage and a pigeon and Millwall season ticket. Ya? Jus meet me in da shade in cold blow lane... Yoose be jus fine, me jus wanna dat phone.
  • Options

Hey Nick, I geeve you henna and a massage and a pigeon and Millwall season ticket. Ya? Jus meet me in da shade in cold blow lane... Yoose be jus fine, me jus wanna dat phone.

you're Welsh aren't you?