Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Keith Peacock testimonial v Chelsea

edited September 2015 in General Charlton
Ive just been shown the programme to this game down my local. Doesnt have exact date but think 1972??

Also does anyone know the attendance to this game?

Comments

• Options
    8/2/1972 Att. 16,736
  • Options

8/2/1972 Att. 16,736

Many thanks
  • Options
    Receipts were £5,384.85. Lot of money in those days.

CAFC 2 Chelsea 4. Treacy and Hunt for Charlton.

I was there.
  • Options

Receipts were £5,384.85. Lot of money in those days.

CAFC 2 Chelsea 4. Treacy and Hunt for Charlton.

I was there.

Thanks Fella,

Much appreciated.
  • Options
    Probably the highlight of an awful season if I remember correctly....
  • Options
    Think Charlton also played testimonal at Stamford Bridge same season for Bobby Tambling and lost 5-1,went to the game at The Valley.
  • Options
    The late great Brian Moore was master of ceremonies I seem to remember.
  • Options
    Yes, Seth, Brian Moore was listed in the programme as famous visitors. Along with Jimmy Hill and a few others.
  • Options
    Who's signature?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Who's signature?

Whose
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Who's signature?

Whose
    Nicely done.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Who's signature?

Whose
    Bravely done! :wink:
  • Options
    I was there with my Dad. Happy times.
  • Options

Think Charlton also played testimonal at Stamford Bridge same season for Bobby Tambling and lost 5-1,went to the game at The Valley.

Oh my goodness. I had expunged that from my brain until you posted that. I was there.
  • Options
    Just rememberd I bought a tie. In fact I may still have it somewhere. Blue with Peacock birds on it.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Curb_It said:

Who's signature?

Whose
    Bravely done! :wink:
    Oh, I don't know. The words "foolishly done" sprung to mind. ;)

• Options
    Redrobo said:

Just rememberd I bought a tie. In fact I may still have it somewhere. Blue with Peacock birds on it.

Would love to see that
  • Options
    Yes I was there one of the better testimonials.
  • Options
    Sam Bartrum kept goal in the half time penalty shoot out if I remember correctly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went to this game and had been labouring for many years under the misapprehension that this was Brian Kinsey's testimonial match. On reading this thread, I initially thought that Brian's match was in 1970 and that we lost 2-0, although the programmes which are on sale online confirm that it was in April 1969.

The 4-2 was a thoroughly entertaining game, with real star quality on show, including players like Osgood, Cooke and Hudson. Chelsea were a big draw in those days, having beaten Leeds in the classic replayed 1970 FA Cup Final and Real Madrid in the 1971 European Cup Winners' Cup Final, also after a replay, just two days after a 1-1 draw (Jose would certainly have had something to say about that).

I recall that Peter Burrowes' headline in the 'Kentish Independent' neatly summed it up the game at the Valley - "Football From Another Planet."