Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fireball in the sky over The Valley

I'm sure this was on a Friday night in the early '70s, so probably a testimonial, which would make WHU the likely opponents. A very large fireball crossed the sky in the direction South Stand to North Stand. Everyone around my brother and I commented on it so I know we didn't hallucinate. We rushed home after the game to see it be get mentioned on the news, but not a word.

Does anyone else remember this?

Comments

• Options
    It would be cool if this thread mysteriously vanishes.
  • Options
    Move on!
  • Options

I'm sure this was on a Friday night in the early '70s, so probably a testimonial, which would make WHU the likely opponents. A very large fireball crossed the sky in the direction South Stand to North Stand. Everyone around my brother and I commented on it so I know we didn't hallucinate. We rushed home after the game to see it be get mentioned on the news, but not a word.

I believe that technically it is referred to as "The Sun", and indeed research shows it has not been seen in SE London since the early seventies...
    So the sun used to come out on Friday nights in the 70's? What a decade that must of been.
  • Options

I believe that technically it is referred to as "The Sun", and indeed research shows it has not been seen in SE London since the early seventies...
    So the sun used to come out on Friday nights in the 70's? What a decade that must of been.
    What time does the sun go down in August where you are then Stonewall? If we have to be pedantic about my little jokette... :smiley:
  • Options
    You could also have added that the sun does not travel from south to north, and that it's transit across the sky would take considerably longer than the duration of a football match... :wink:
  • Options
    It was pedantic, granted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I was there that night but dont recall no fireball, may it have been the moon reflecting off Bobby Charltons bald bonce as he was PNE manager I believe? (I hope I havent disillusioned anyone fooled by his comb-over).
  • Options
    The only answers that are plausible

1. Good strong skunk weed
    2. LSD
    3. Magic mushrooms
    4 any combination of the above,

Many games I have had the same experience, I once thought we beat either Derby or Sheffield Wed and that bends carbonie scored the goals for us that afternoon, only to realise the never played for us and we had lost, so the possibility of a fire ball is credible if you were on the drugs my brother
  • Options

I thought it was only Merseyside that was boycotting...
  • Options
    Was Tony Burns in goal? Or,was Eddie Fir(e)mani playing?
  • Options
    Pyro Di Canio
    Ben Flamer
    Neil RedInferno
  • Options
    Scott CArson
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Wow, CL never ceases to surprise!

Fumbling through my old Sky At Night annuals from the day as we chat, at least the pages in these aren't stuck together...

Ah here it is...

On Friday the 24th of August 1973 the Persescus meteorite shower had flown past Uranus and through the ring of Saturn towards Earth and produced a dazzling display in the early evening sky across S.E London. In fact play stopped for an hour and a half at The Valley Football Ground SE7 because this event was infinately more interesting than what was going on on the pitch.

Patrick Moore.
  • Options
    I once saw a flying saucer when I was at Knebworth for the Led Zeplin gig back I'm the 70s. John Bonhams last performance in the UK. Did anybody else go to the gig and see it fly over the crowd. It was the same shape as the flying saucer you get at the sweet shop with sherbet in but this one was metallic grey. I can't be the only one that saw it. I've never seen one again.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

I once saw a flying saucer when I was at Knebworth for the Led Zeplin gig back I'm the 70s. John Bonhams last performance in the UK. Did anybody else go to the gig and see it fly over the crowd. It was the same shape as the flying saucer you get at the sweet shop with sherbet in but this one was metallic grey. I can't be the only one that saw it. I've never seen one again.

Was it the one with the flashing lights in a circular pattern and a distant humming that got louder as it approached?
  • Options

The only answers that are plausible

1. Good strong skunk weed
    2. LSD
    3. Magic mushrooms
    4 any combination of the above,

Many games I have had the same experience, I once thought we beat either Derby or Sheffield Wed and that bends carbonie scored the goals for us that afternoon, only to realise the never played for us and we had lost, so the possibility of a fire ball is credible if you were on the drugs my brother

I was far too young to know about 1, 2, or 3, so definitely none of those.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T.C.E said:

Solidgone said:

Was it the one with the flashing lights in a circular pattern and a distant humming that got louder as it approached?
    No. There were no flashing lights. Quite a boring flying saucer hovering overhead about 100 ft. I take it you didn't see that one?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

T.C.E said:

Solidgone said:

No. There were no flashing lights. Quite a boring flying saucer hovering overhead about 100 ft. I take it you didn't see that one?
    No, I didn't see that one thank goodness. I'd have thought I was losing it if I'd seen two in one night.. ;)
  • Options

70's……. it probably was just a flare…..
  • Options
    You sure it wasn't when Chelsea set the place alight
  • Options
    I have a feeling it was Keith Peacock's testimonial against Chelsea. I remember a green fireball going over the Valley and read in the paper the next day that it crashed in a bog in Ireland ( hope no one was having a pony at the time ).
  • Options
    Surely hales comet!
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Surely hales comet!

Or Peakies Rocket!.
  • Options
    BEANBAG said:

I have a feeling it was Keith Peacock's testimonial against Chelsea. I remember a green fireball going over the Valley and read in the paper the next day that it crashed in a bog in Ireland ( hope no one was having a pony at the time ).

Finally, someone taking it seriously. Do you know the date?
  • Options
    The Bovedy meteorite fell in Ireland on 25th April 1969 - the day of Brian Kinsey's testimonial. Apologies for my earlier crass remark.

http://www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk/news/local-news/the-day-the-sky-fell-in-above-co-londonderry-1-2095781