Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

5p charge for plastic bags

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2015
    There was a time when all mums kept their shopping bags hanging by the back door. Mine did. Not really rocket science is it?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I'm still anticipating the day, when I wake up and think.

I know what I need to buy. One of those shopping trollys with wheels :smile:
  • Options

There was a time when all mums kept their shopping bags hanging by the back door. Mine did. Not really rocket science is it?

What happens if they leave the house by the front door?
  • Options

I think the companies who your walking around advertising their logo should cover the cost, or make all carrier bags plain white.
    paying 5p to walk around advertising a multi billion pound companies logo is ludicrous.

I do enjoy doing my shopping in ASDA and pulling out my Tesco bags. As for recycling of the carrier bags, my recycling wheelie bin didn't get emptied a few weeks ago because it contained carrier bags and they can't recycle them apparently.......
  • Options

Leave the house by the front door?

I always thought you were a snob ARTHUR! :-)
  • Options

He's not - he can only afford one door...
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    It's a behaviour thing largely. We just have to leave a load of bags for life in the boot of the car or in the front porch so that we remember to take them to the supermarket. On the occasional inpulse visit or pop in on the way home from the station for a pint of milk it's a pain but at the end of the day it's 5p for the bag so it's not a killer. Where it is a pain Is pllaces like B&Q where they don't have bags and you can find yourself picking up a few bits that can be hard to carry and they won't let you take their little wheelu bin carrier basket thingies past the checkout. Also, we do the odd sainsburies online shop and their bagging policy is nuts. So many bags with one or two items in. As a point of principle, if I'm paying for the bags they had better learn to stuff em full!
  • Options
    edited September 2015

It's a behaviour thing largely. We just have to leave a load of bags for life in the boot of the car or in the front porch so that we remember to take them to the supermarket. On the occasional inpulse visit or pop in on the way home from the station for a pint of milk it's a pain but at the end of the day it's 5p for the bag so it's not a killer. Where it is a pain Is pllaces like B&Q where they don't have bags and you can find yourself picking up a few bits aggravate hard to carry and they won't let you take their little wheels bin carrier basket thingies past the checkout. Also, we do the odd sainsburies online shop and their nagging policy is nuts. So many bags with one or two items in. As a point of principle, if I'm paying for the bags they had better learn to stuff em full!

Same with Ocado. However, they do take the bags back on the next delivery, so I assume I'm not paying for them.
  • Options

Thought you had him down as a back door man.
  • Options

Are we still allowed those sort of lyrics....

Wha, yeah!, c'mon, yeah, yeah, c'mon, yeah
    Yeah, c'mon, oh, yeah, ma
    Yeah, I'm a back door man, I'm a back door man
    The men don't know, but the little girl understand

Hey, all you people that tryin' to sleep
    I'm out to make it with my midnight dream, yeah
    'cause I'm a back door man, the men don't know
    But the little girls understand, all right, yeah
    You men eat your dinner, eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken, than any man ever seen, yeah, yeah
    I'm a back door man, wha, the men don't know

But the little girl understand
    Well, I'm a back door man
    I'm a back door man
    Whoa, baby, I'm a back door man
    The men don't know
    But the little girls understand
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Easy tiger...
  • Options
    Surely the easiest way to reduce the number of bags in landfills is to ban them completely.

Here in Luxembourg you haven't been able to get a plastic bag in the Supermarket for about 5 years. Everyone uses the big sturdy bags for life or reusable plastic crates for their crates. You quickly remember your reusable bags when you've juggled with your shopping on the way back to the car.
  • Options
    OK in principle but if everyone is so concerned about landfill why are Supermarkets allowed to sell their goods in a ton of superfluous packaging? sometimes you have to get through three layers to get to the food which seems unnecessary.

then there is the proliferation of fast food delivery leaflets that everyone throws away and the all those pamphlets that positively shower out of the weekend papers and supplements. if the government is serious then do it properly.
  • Options
    I've never seen the sense in putting a crate in a crate.
  • Options
    Right this Is a fcking carve up.
    Yes, Id be the first to admit I used more than enough carrier bags in Tesco, morrisons, Sainsburys whatever and used them as bins.

However, took my daughter shopping the other night for a bday treat and bought some new clothes etc.

Took the bundle to the till, £130 quid worth of clothes,
    'Thank you sir, do you need a bag?'
    My first thought was well she aint gonna fcking wear them all now is she
    'Errm, yes please'
    'Ok , they are 5p each'

Just a fcking jump on the bandwagon joke.

Supermarkets, yes, clothes, toy shops, etc no, absolute piss take.
  • Options
    If you buy an axe or a fish the bag is free.
  • Options

If you buy an axe or a fish the bag is free.

If shed fcking wear that Id kick her out

• Options
    What is all the fuss about with paying more for a 5p bag? If you had 5 bags worth of food which you buy weekly which is 25p, so in total you would only pay £1 extra a month.

Bring your own bag it's not rocket science.
  • Options
    Apparently if you scan the barcode on the side of the bag in asda its 5p. If you use the barcode on the bottom of the bag its free!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it's worked a treat - seen loads of people carrying a few things in hand rather than just grabbing a bag out of habit.

It's not the cost, it's the thought.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Due to frequent bouts of fuckwittery i regularly forget my "bag for life" when popping to the shops. I already have half a dozen fucking "bags for life" and counting and its only been two bloody weeks.

Where will i put all the fuckers?

Do i have them buried with me?

Is that the point people?
  • Options

Due to frequent bouts of fuckwittery i regularly forget my "bag for life" when popping to the shops. I already have half a dozen fucking "bags for life" and counting and its only been two bloody weeks.

Where will i put all the fuckers?

Do i have them buried with me?

Is that the point people?

#

In the local Pond

• Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

What is all the fuss about with paying more for a 5p bag? If you had 5 bags worth of food which you buy weekly which is 25p, so in total you would only pay £1 extra a month.

Yes I agree but my point was Clothing stores, River Island, Next, etc charging you for a bag after you've spent £110 plus and still walk around advertising their brand.
    THEY should pay the 5p tax

Im not taking a fcking Asda bag for life to a Clothes shop, Ive got some self respect
  • Options

DiscoCAFC said:

Yes I agree but my point was Clothing stores, River Island, Next, etc charging you for a bag after you've spent £110 plus and still walk around advertising their brand.
    THEY should pay the 5p tax

Im not taking a fcking Asda bag for life to a Clothes shop, Ive got some self respect
    If they switched to paper bags, would you still have to pay the tax? In Scotland, the answer is yes, but in most places, it would be no. Not sure how the law is in England.
  • Options
    Don't know mate

f each one of their plastic bags holds on average £60 of clothes surely they could pay the tax themselves

• Options

Don't know mate

f each one of their plastic bags holds on average £60 of clothes surely they could pay the tax themselves

I think they have to charge if it's a plastic bag, and they get a £200 fine if they don't.

Also found out that it's not a tax and the retailers don't have to give any money to the government. They can deduct "reasonable costs" from what revenue is collected and then have to give the rest to charity. I'm not a fan of this part.

However, the simple solution would be for clothes retailers to switch to paper bags, for which there is no cost. Supermarkets could also make available the boxes left over after packing the shelves as these could be used to hold groceries.
  • Options
    Paper bags for clothes, simples, Primark done it for years.
  • Options

Don't know mate

If you've just spent £110 on some sky blue slacks, pink turtlenecks and a nice pair of grey slip ons with gold chains on them, I'm sure you can afford a bag