Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

R I P Brian Close

2»

Comments

• My School was on a road called "Brian Close"... all the teachers into cricket used to talk about him as a result. Before my time but I've checked out some clips... the man was nails. RIP
  • I saw the Fifth Test of that 1976 series at The Oval - my dad (R.I.P) took me as a young 7 year old. Sat amongst the Windies fans - I can still see it & smell it to this day!! Whenever I get a whiff of the old wacky backy it whisks me back to that day - marvellous times & a real eye opener for a 7 year old lad.

Close had been dropped by then - he wasn't in the England team that was annihilated by the West Indies in that test - I saw the mighty IVA Richards score 291, abely supported by RF Fredricks, CH Lloyd (still the best famous person I have met), LG Rowe & CL King. The Windies scored 687 for 8 in their first innings & England used 9 different bowlers!!!!!!!!

I was a cricket fanatic as a kid - still love the game & indoctrinating my 7 year old - who living in Canada is probably the only boy in this province - whose day started this morning before school with a little reminiscing from his dad & a quick debriefing on the legendary mighty DB Close.
  • LenGlover said:

They say things happen in threes......

Fred Lucas, Ron Springett and now Closey.

Like Lincs above I remember that 1963 series against the West Indies. I was also at Lords in 1976 on a darkish afternoon/evening when Holding et al gave a 45 year old Close and a slightly less venerable John edrich a going over.

He stood up to it just as he had 13 years before.

RIP.

That barrage from the West Indians to Close and Edrich that afternoon remains one of my most abiding sporting memories, even though I was only watching it on TV and wasn't at Lords unlike Len.

RIP to probably the bravest and possibly maddest batsman I have ever seen.
  • Brain Close
    Brilliant West Indies cricket teams
    West Indian supporters at test matches
    Summers like 1976

Will we ever see their like again...
  • dogbother said:

Brain Close
    Summers like 1976

Funny you should mention cricket and summer of 1976.......went to Lords' test on the Saturday of that long dry hot summer and saw only about 6 overs, cos it rained for the rest of the day.......the only day in that summer.
  • RIP sir
  • edited September 2015

dogbother said:

Brain Close
    Summers like 1976

Funny you should mention cricket and summer of 1976.......went to Lords' test on the Saturday of that long dry hot summer and saw only about 6 overs, cos it rained for the rest of the day.......the only day in that summer.
    I think peoples memories are a little confused, which is understandable after almost 40 years. The infamous barrage by Holding, Roberts and Daniel on Close and Edrich was on the Saturday evening at Old Trafford. This was the only Test that Edrich played in the series and was the last of his career.