Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ticket prices

edited September 2015 in General Charlton
I have always been impressed with prices at charlton but I can't understand why there is such a massive increase in prices from being an under 18 to being an under 21.
I'm off to uni so this isn't too much of a problem for me but if I'd have stayed then my season ticket would have increased from £100 to £275 and games like tomorrow night increase from £10 to £18. How can they expect under 21s to afford these prices? In fact many will actually have less money after becoming an under 21, as parents often start to charge rent and stop buying you things and expect you to find a job. Surely a student price would be fair?

Comments

• Options

I have always been impressed with prices at charlton but I can't understand why there is such a massive increase in prices from being an under 18 to being an under 21.
    I'm off to uni so this isn't too much of a problem for me but if I'd have stayed then my season ticket would have increased from £100 to £275 and games like tonights increase from £10 to £18. How can they expect under 21s to afford these prices? In fact many will actually have less money after becoming an under 21, as parents often start to charge rent and stop buying you things and expect you to find a job. Surely a student price would be fair?

Highlighted key area for you
  • Options

I'm off to uni so this isn't too much of a problem for me but if I'd have stayed then my season ticket would have increased from £100 to £275 and games like tonights increase from £10 to £18. How can they expect under 21s to afford these prices? In fact many will actually have less money after becoming an under 21, as parents often start to charge rent and stop buying you things and expect you to find a job. Surely a student price would be fair?

Yes but what about fans who have gone to uni locally or those who have moved to uni in london who may want to see a local team, you can't expect them to fork out 1/3 of their weekly budget for 1 game
  • Options
    This is a problem I found when I went to Uni as well.

going from a ticket at £75 for an under 18 ticket to £300 for an under 21 a couple of years ago seemed crazy, and is probably the biggest reason I never justified getting a ST after this. Admittedly there were cheaper tickets in other area, but as so many will know, I was very comfortable where I was among people who had become friends.

Having said that, having an U21 ticket is still more than what many clubs offer, and I'm pleased this option is given by the club. I'd just like to see it priced at a more enticing rate around the whole of the stadium, in line with a flat rate across the stadium like the under 18 price, rather than flexible depending on where you sit like the adult price
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Yes but what about fans who have gone to uni locally or those who have moved to uni in london who may want to see a local team, you can't expect them to fork out 1/3 of their weekly budget for 1 game
    Life's a bitch mate, luckily for me I looked quite young in my 20's and still got in as a youth but unfortunately my sheepskin coat, ben sherman shirts and loafers did for me in the end. Not suggesting you should risk this though :wink:
  • Options

Fair enough on student prices but I don't think you'll get much sympathy because you have to pay rent and get a job
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

I'm with you Josh. Quite frankly, I am sick to death of hearing about the struggles of the homeless, unemployed and generally destitute, particularly this recent obsession with refugees. What about the plight of the humble student?! Dragged out of bed three times a week to attend lectures at the crack of afternoon with absolutely no regard for the Jaegerbomb-hangover that the poor little mites carry round with them everyday of the week, forced to study for as much as two hours a day. When you factor in discount day at the student union, chillout day and finding time for 15 hours kip every night it leaves absolutely no time at all to go out and earn a living.

Cameron, when are you going to step in and help Britain's forgotten victims?!
    I never said that I couldn't afford the tickets but I am aware that there are people my age less fortunate than I am and if I think these prices are a bit steep then what do these prices look like to them? Remember significant parts of charlton and surrounding areas are quite poor
  • Options
    It's £22 to see Leyton Orient play Carlisle in League Two. I think we do ok in comparison to a lot of others
  • Options

Profiteering, however, most club probably go straight to adults from under 18s.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's £22 to see Leyton Orient play Carlisle in League Two. I think we do ok in comparison to a lot of others

it's £15 at Welling...you can get same price tickets to watch us can't you?
  • Options

it's £15 at Welling...you can get same price tickets to watch us can't you?
    £13 for U21s for silver games, less than that on a season ticket. Football fans can always find something to moan about, I think ticket prices would be low down on most Charlton supporters' lists though.
  • Options
    Welcome to the University of Life
  • Options

Enjoy tonights game mate.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Welcome to the University of Life

Pah, I sent life to the University of OneLung.
  • Options

I played football at Barnet's new ground the other day. Saw their ticket prices - think it was £24. Brand new ground but that was uncovered, fourth tier football!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    As Brighton are my local side, I sometimes go with friends to games and an Under 18 ticket is £18 and a Under 21 £28 so as much as I think in general tickets are overpriced. I think Charlton are probably about the best out there at least in the south anyway
  • Options
    I suspect that the issue is that there will be many that will abuse the system. There have been enough issues with U11 tickets being used by adults. On one occasion I, mistakenly, used my son's U11 ticket and no one questioned it. I think it is the club's intention to prevent this but an U21 ticket or a student ticket would be much more difficult to weed out.

If a student is going to University then they have to budget for what they want. Most are relying on their Mum and Dad so maybe they can buy their offspring their season ticket. I know plenty that do.
  • Options

I'm off to uni so this isn't too much of a problem for me but if I'd have stayed then my season ticket would have increased from £100 to £275 and games like tomorrow night increase from £10 to £18. How can they expect under 21s to afford these prices? In fact many will actually have less money after becoming an under 21, as parents often start to charge rent and stop buying you things and expect you to find a job. Surely a student price would be fair?

After loafing around at 'Uni' smoking weed, shagging birds/blokes, and partying for 3 years you'll probably want a year off and call it a 'Gap Year'.
    Actually thinking about it if I did all that I would probably NEED a year off!

Crack on!
  • Options

I suspect that the issue is that there will be many that will abuse the system. There have been enough issues with U11 tickets being used by adults. On one occasion I, mistakenly, used my son's U11 ticket and no one questioned it. I think it is the club's intention to prevent this but an U21 ticket or a student ticket would be much more difficult to weed out.

If a student is going to University then they have to budget for what they want. Most are relying on their Mum and Dad so maybe they can buy their offspring their season ticket. I know plenty that do.

Actually students are the easiest group to confirm, only uni students have email addresses ending in ac.uk so if these could be used to buy single tickets then they'd know for sure you're a student (this works for a fact as Amazon and Spotify give student discounts using this system)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015

Get a job... I've just finished uni and was working 23.5 hours a week whilst there, it's doable.
  • Options

Actually students are the easiest group to confirm, only uni students have email addresses ending in ac.uk so if these could be used to buy single tickets then they'd know for sure you're a student (this works for a fact as Amazon and Spotify give student discounts using this system)
    I meant what is to stop students buying tickets for non-students. A University student could, for example, buy a ticket for his 24 year old brother and once the email address has been confirmed you have a student discount for someone that is not a student.

The current system doesn't seem to be able differentiate between students once he ticket has been purchased.

On that subject have all the turnstiles had the computer terminals removed? There were none tonight at the Sam Bartram entrance!
  • Options
    edited September 2015

I meant what is to stop students buying tickets for non-students. A University student could, for example, buy a ticket for his 24 year old brother and once the email address has been confirmed you have a student discount for someone that is not a student.

The current system doesn't seem to be able differentiate between students once he ticket has been purchased.

On that subject have all the turnstiles had the computer terminals removed? There were none tonight at the Sam Bartram entrance!
    Roughly speaking 55-60% of home match ticket sales are adults, 25-30% are U18s (including U11s) and the rest are senior/U21s. Of the 10-15% that are the latter, most will be over 65s (they buy a much bigger share of STs).

The current pricing structure is way too complicated in my view, but the fact remains there are £13 tickets everywhere except the north, which is a reasonable step up from £10 for U18s. There is no logic in it being dearer in the north, but that he a problem of the whole structure.

I don't know what the proposed price for U21s would be, but given that anyone can buy anyone else a ticket in the wrong price bracket and they are still likely to get in, I don't see the potential for fraud as an issue and neither will the club (the same already applies to disabled discounts). It's more that this is a relatively minor issue in terms of the number likely to be affected and the actual differential.

It's more of an issue that U21 season tickets are big leap from U18 and students are usually unable to see enough games for it to make sense. But this is because they are bracketed with seniors, who buy in larger numbers.

There are no scanners at the Bartram Gate - probably not considered worthwhile cabling, etc.
  • Options

Roughly speaking 55-60% of home match ticket sales are adults, 25-30% are U18s (including U11s) and the rest are senior/U21s. Of the 10-15% that are the latter, most will be over 65s (they buy a much bigger share of STs).

The current pricing structure is way too complicated in my view, but the fact remains there are £13 tickets everywhere except the north, which is a reasonable step up from £10 for U18s. There is no logic in it being dearer in the north, but that he a problem of the whole structure.

I don't know what the proposed price for U21s would be, but given that anyone can buy anyone else a ticket in the wrong price bracket and they are still likely to get in, I don't see the potential for fraud as an issue and neither will the club (the same already applies to disabled discounts). It's more that this is a relatively minor issue in terms of the number likely to be affected and the actual differential.

It's more of an issue that U21 season tickets are big leap from U18 and students are usually unable to see enough games for it to make sense. But this is because they are bracketed with seniors, who buy in larger numbers.

There are no scanners at the Bartram Gate - probably not considered worthwhile cabling, etc.
    Not that it matters, but I was confused because we used a screen for the Hull game (the only one we'd been to so far) and we almost always use the Bartram entrance. I'm sure you are right but I don't know why we would have used the North entrance for the Hull game. That will annoy me all day, now, while I try to think why we went in the other turnstyle.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I think I read or someone said to me that hey may have had handheld scanners at the Bartram Gate for the opening games, but someone who went in there on Saturday told me they were just looking at the tickets then.

Meant to add that there is a much bigger opportunity for fiddling in having such a wide disparity of (adult and concession) pricing between blocks in the same stand than there would ever be from people passing a relatively small number of student discounts on and it is much more likely to be abused.
  • Options
    There was a chap with a scanner there last night.

And I've remembered why we walked down to the North Stand entrance when we played Hull. We wanted to buy a copy of a fanzine. You might have heard of it.....