Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hendrix - 45 years ago today.

I know theres a few players on here, it's 45 years ago today that the world lost arguably the most influential musician ever.
Missed by millions.

Take a listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au_mGhAY-7A

Comments

• Options
    R.I.P. Jimi - gone too soon
  • Options
    45 years hardly seems possible does it? As said by Greenie probably the most influential guitar player ever and what is even more amazing is that modern players still cannot work out how he did what he did all these years later.

RIP Jimi you were amazing
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I know theres a few players on here, it's 45 years ago today that the world lost arguably the most influential musician ever.
    Missed by millions.

Take a listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au_mGhAY-7A

Thanks for posting Greenie.
    Smashing bit of film.
    Been a Hendrix fan since the sixties. I have a few of his albums in my collection including 'Electric Ladyland' with the nude women on the cover. The track Voodo child still one of my favorites.
  • Options
    I heard some time back on LBC Robert Elms prog I think that JH's first gig in this country was in Chislehurst caves and if you have a flyer or poster your minted. Anyone remember the gig.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Just thought I would share a couple of photo's of my Jimi collection, probably the high light for me was when the 'Astoria start' was brought into the BBC London TV centre news, The head of the Washington Post London bureau, was in the Green room and I was photographing this, with the presenter, ( guy in the Black shirt) when she wanted to be photographed with the start, she had seen Jimi as a young girl in the states, and thought it was so cool, that she missed he spot on the news, at least for that spot. ( despite the floor manager, shouting at her) Then the head of news came down, wondering what the hell was going on, and ended up having his photograph taken as well!. I think Jimi would have just laughed that that could happen 38 years, after he died. The guitar was being auctioned in London, I think with a reserve of a quarter of a million pounds.

The amp photo was the original one Jimi used at Montrey, confirmed by Marshall, ( in fact they paid the owner Jamie Dixon a small fortune to base this on the Hendrix retro amp. It was on display at the regent Polytechnic where Jimi played, or should I say jammed with Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce, in the basement, where Eric stopped playing and claims that his life was never the same again as a guitar player!...... at least the myth goes.
  • Options
    Was a massive fan - and remember his loss well. RIP. Was a sad day. There was another sad anniversary this week -7 years after Jimi died when Marc Bolan died (Wednesday 16th, 1977). Talented in a different way.
  • Options
    Acab said:

I heard some time back on LBC Robert Elms prog I think that JH's first gig in this country was in Chislehurst caves and if you have a flyer or poster your minted. Anyone remember the gig.

He played here in the small Norfolk market town of East Dereham as a relatively unknown guitarist.
    Recently saw poster of the gig still treasured by its owner.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Great pix Ken.
  • Options

Acab said:

He played here in the small Norfolk market town of East Dereham as a relatively unknown guitarist.
    Recently saw poster of the gig still treasured by its owner.
    Jimis memorabilia costs a small fortune. That said I was at the Isle of Wight last year, Hendrix played there in 1970 I think, I walked into a small antique type shop near the port and they had 1 of the original Hendrix Isle of Wight posters that had been designed by a local chap in 1970. The bloke said I could have it for £15, of course I haggled him down to £12. I was recently offered £150, but its a keeper, it aint going anywhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I still remember the day. RIP Jimmy
  • Options
    A supremely naturally talented musician who I had the great good fortune to see perform live just weeks before he died.

I am a massive fan of his body of work so please don't take this as heresy, but that body of work is fairly small. 'The most influential musician ever' - not in my book. The 'cult' of Hendrix over inflates his importance for me.
  • Options
    On the evening of 24th September 1966, Jimi Hendrix played his first ever UK solo gig at the exclusive Scotch of St James club in Mason’s Yard;
    The following month, Hendrix returned to Scotch of St James with musicians Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding, who together formed The Jimi Hendrix Experience and thus it was here that the trio performed their UK debut. I think the 'Caves 'were on the first UK tour, There are a couple of people on this very site that saw him. He also played at the Bromley Court Hotel. He played at some very strange places including the Blackpool Opera House. The experience got onto a tour, with the Walker brothers, Cat Stevens and Engelbert Humperdink. There are some fans who think that Jimi was put on show like a 'Vaudeville Act', to perform like a 'gimmick'. But that was the music business in those day's. Like most acts in those day's he was seen as a 'cash cow', by his management, personally I just do not think they realised the unique talent jimi had. Cathy Etchingham: Jimi's first girlfriend, was far from amused about this part of his life when I spoke to her. I never met Jimi so can only go on second hand accounts.
  • Options
    Hendrix had a very unique style/guitar sound which few have been able to emulate. Hear Hendrix performing and you'll know it's him.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

A supremely naturally talented musician who I had the great good fortune to see perform live just weeks before he died.

I am a massive fan of his body of work so please don't take this as heresy, but that body of work is fairly small. 'The most influential musician ever' - not in my book. The 'cult' of Hendrix over inflates his importance for me.

Its all subjective Bob. But I would say no other guitar player has influenced more players than Jimi. Berry and Clapton run him close, but like I say its very subjective.
    FWIW I think Stevie Ray Vaughan is a far more exciting player with more feel, same goes for EC, but music is not about who us better its about who has the most soul.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Its all subjective Bob. But I would say no other guitar player has influenced more players than Jimi. Berry and Clapton run him close, but like I say its very subjective.
    FWIW I think Stevie Ray Vaughan is a far more exciting player with more feel, same goes for EC, but music is not about who us better its about who has the most soul.
    Agreed, of course it's subjective - like most things!

But it could be argued that the great blues men like JLH, BBK et al had greater influence on rock guitarists like Clapton, Page, Beck, Moore, Kossoff than Hendrix ever did. He was special, I absolutely agree, but so were all the others I've listed (and it's not an exhaustive list as I'd place Stevie Ray and others in that company).
  • Options

On the evening of 24th September 1966, Jimi Hendrix played his first ever UK solo gig at the exclusive Scotch of St James club in Mason’s Yard;
    The following month, Hendrix returned to Scotch of St James with musicians Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding, who together formed The Jimi Hendrix Experience and thus it was here that the trio performed their UK debut. I think the 'Caves 'were on the first UK tour, There are a couple of people on this very site that saw him. He also played at the Bromley Court Hotel. He played at some very strange places including the Blackpool Opera House. The experience got onto a tour, with the Walker brothers, Cat Stevens and Engelbert Humperdink. There are some fans who think that Jimi was put on show like a 'Vaudeville Act', to perform like a 'gimmick'. But that was the music business in those day's. Like most acts in those day's he was seen as a 'cash cow', by his management, personally I just do not think they realised the unique talent jimi had. Cathy Etchingham: Jimi's first girlfriend, was far from amused about this part of his life when I spoke to her. I never met Jimi so can only go on second hand accounts.

My old man saw him play at the Bromley Court Hotel, Ken. Seems mad doesn't it!
  • Options
    Rob said:

Hendrix had a very unique style/guitar sound which few have been able to emulate. Hear Hendrix performing and you'll know it's him.

Have to agree Rob.
    Best or most influential of all time? I’ll let others debate that.
    I liked his raw style and sound from the very first time I heard Electric Ladyland.
    Somewhere in my collection I have ‘Band of Gypsies’ I think it was a live recording with Jimi wandering through his repertoire in his unmistakable style.
  • Options
    Who influenced who?
    I remember reading Jimi’s teeth playing was copied from Buddy Guy, another good performer
  • Options

They also played on Hastings Pier (1967).