Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton connections in action at Woking

Not fancying a long haul to Blackburn and the inevitable North West thumping, I took myself off this afternoon to watch Woking play Cheltenham, which was 4th vs 3rd in the Vanarama National Conference. it's my nearest senior non-league ground but mainly I went because there were quite a lot of current and recent past Charlton players on show.

For Woking:

Terrell Thomas played the full 90 minutes a Centre Back - did quite well against a big, physical Cheltenham attack but still looks raw. Made a couple of mistakes that might have been punished at a higher standard. Good to see and hear him bollocking more senior players, which indicated some confidence.

Kadell Daniel came on as sub in the final 10 minutes, but was anonymous.

For Cheltenham:

Dillon Phillips played well in goal. He didn't have a great deal to do but dealt competently with a few shots and crosses. Kicking was wayward though (a charlton "disease"?).

Harry Pell played midfield. A big, gangly lad I never saw play for us. He put himself about well in a central box to box role.

Jack Munns played about an hour but was subbed off. A bit like for us - lots of industry, decent first touch and plays the simple balls well, but no real penetration or making things happen.

In summary, you can see why those who we released are now playing at that level. Not really fair to judge Terrell and Dillon just on today's performance but hard to see either of them breaking into our first team unless their development accelerates soon.

By the way, Cheltenham won 1-0.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I was also at Woking yesterday and was impressed with the two loan lads.

Thomas looked assured against a big lump in Danny Wright (Built more like Billy Whitehurst than Akinfenwa). He would have learned a lot more in ninety minutes yesterday than a few Under 21 games. Would have come off with a few bruises to remind him of that battle.

Phillips also looked assured. Every save looked comfortable, his kicking style is the same as Ben Hamer, as trying to find a player out wide instead of an aimless punt. Commanded his area well. As with Thomas, will learn more in these type of games than playing in a few under 21 games.
  • Options
    I Was at Woking v Welling for the August bank holiday fixture, woking won 2-0. Result was a bit harsh on welling tbf.
  • Options
    I live less than two minutes walk from Woking's ground and haven't been once