Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Low expectations

It's actually quite difficult to get that wound up anymore which I never thought I'd say. I've become used to us being a bit crap so defeats are really not a surprise.
My optimism this season lasted a mere 4 games which is even less than last season. Watching games now and feeling very detached....

Comments

• I predicted a 3-0 result. Wish I had been completely wrong, but reality rules the day. Start with low expectations, then anything else is a bonus.
  • I predicted a 3-0 result. Wish I had been completely wrong, but reality rules the day. Start with low expectations, then anything else is a bonus.

I think expectations are generally too high amongst most supporters. Charlton supporters probably think of the club as about 30th in the pecking order of clubs which means we are looking to be in the 20th to 30th slots. Possibly, those brought up on the Premiership days, think we are around 20th and have expectations of 10th to 20th. Realistically, we are probably nearer 35th to 40th, so mid-table in the Championship is good and upper League One is a bit below.

It happens at other clubs too, of course. For some clubs, anything other than top three is a disaster. At Hartlepool, I expect anything about 80th feels OK. Maybe, we need to realign.
  • se9addick said:

To be honest I had low expectations last night and we still managed to fall short of them.

Thanks for the laugh SE9, that's my sense of humour.

After 20 minutes last night before the drinks were being thrown and i lost my comic take on football.
    The match ball was in our end for about 90 seconds being pushed in the air before it worked it's way back to the pitch.
    "I knew that Charlton could pass the ball to each other if they tried"

The team couldn't emulate that all night.
  • I predicted a 3-0 result. Wish I had been completely wrong

You were. It was 4-1 :-)
  • and I predicted 4-1 or 1-4
  • I predicted a 3-0 result. Wish I had been completely wrong

You were. It was 4-1 :-)
    I got the result right... :neutral:
  • ... but not the score.
  • Sponsored links:

I think expectations are generally too high amongst most supporters. Charlton supporters probably think of the club as about 30th in the pecking order of clubs which means we are looking to be in the 20th to 30th slots. Possibly, those brought up on the Premiership days, think we are around 20th and have expectations of 10th to 20th. Realistically, we are probably nearer 35th to 40th, so mid-table in the Championship is good and upper League One is a bit below.

It happens at other clubs too, of course. For some clubs, anything other than top three is a disaster. At Hartlepool, I expect anything about 80th feels OK. Maybe, we need to realign.
    According to this table, showing average league placings over the last 50 years, we're 31st, which sounds about right.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9817599/liverpool-lead-manchester-united-arsenal-everton-and-tottenham-in-ultimate-league

Palace 27th, Millwall 35th.

In the top 20, Coventry at 15th stands out as a team who were top flight regulars for ages but then fallen from grace

According to this table, showing average league placings over the last 50 years, we're 31st, which sounds about right.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9817599/liverpool-lead-manchester-united-arsenal-everton-and-tottenham-in-ultimate-league

In the top 20, Coventry at 15th stands out as a team who were top flight regulars for ages but then fallen from grace
    Am I being dense here or is the +/- column on that table all messed up?

E.g. - Charlton's average position is 32.2, current position is 30 therefore +2, not +1 - right?

Nottm Forest - Av 20, current 31 = -11 not -18, no?
  • The +/- score is based on the rank, not the average position, e.g. Forest, rank 13, current 31, meaning -18
  • I'm surprised Sheffield Wednesday aren't higher, given how massive they are in all other respects.
  • The +/- score is based on the rank, not the average position, e.g. Forest, rank 13, current 31, meaning -18

Ah, that makes sense then.

I'm aware of this table and, as you say, we are roughly occupying our average position of the last 50 years.

I think there are two important points though. Firstly, I think we have moved down the batting order a bit. More clubs financially have moved above us then slipped below us.

Secondly, long term success is no longer correlated to the number of punters coming through the turnstiles. Things are much more volatile. Crudely, standings are based on how much money the owner has and whether any big mistakes have been made on the way down.

The last fifty years have been relatively stable; the next fifty may or may not be.