Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

For those who spend too much time on here..

2»

Comments

• Options
    People would say that supporting a football club for years with very little glory would make them dull.
  • Options
    I can see the fascination of post boxes, but I'm not taking up a new hobby.
  • Options

I can see the fascination of post boxes, but I'm not taking up a new hobby.

Stick to the trains, mate
  • Options
    Not convinced that any of them are boring really. Good on these blokes who've found stuff that interests them. The real boring people are those that deride others' interests as boring.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited October 2015
    Stig said:

Not convinced that any of them are boring really. Good on these blokes who've found stuff that interests them. The real boring people are those that deride others' interests as boring.

That's a fair point. The whole thing reminds me to watch Detectorists on BBC iplayer.

Looking at the list, at least some of the hobbies get them out of the house. Measuring hills, involves walking around some nice countryside and exercise up and down hills. Even photographing hedges involves walking around gardens. The writing down every time you have mowed the lawn sounds a bit OCD at least he is outside mowing the lawn. Building a tank involves craft and engineering skill and is a typical eccentric British thing to do. Not sure about collecting vacuum cleaners though, isn't that a variation on hoarding ?
  • Options
    No, but a lot of my exciting soon-to-be hobbies are ;-)
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited October 2015
    Stig said:

No, but a lot of my exciting soon-to-be hobbies are ;-)

I edited the cheap, easy pot shot comment which was along the line 'Is this because you are on the list Stig (or have any hobbies on the list)'. Put it back in to help make sense of your response ;-)
  • Options
    Bloke at work is obsessed with ticking off a list of countries. When he went to Italy, he spent a day driving to and from San Marino just so he could say he was there. He went to Croatia recently, ticked off Bosnia and had to be stopped from adding Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro and Albania. That's not "travel" to me.
  • Options
    IA said:

Bloke at work is obsessed with ticking off a list of countries. When he went to Italy, he spent a day driving to and from San Marino just so he could say he was there. He went to Croatia recently, ticked off Bosnia and had to be stopped from adding Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro and Albania. That's not "travel" to me.

Lots of men are completists. Having every release by a band (every 12 inch, remix, bonus track etc), doing the 92, collecting football programmes, owning every episode of Doctor Who or Star Trek etc
  • Options
    Completism is all well and good (didn't I say Andrew Dowd was my hero on the last page?) as long as you actually complete your quest. Honduras dude needs to visit all the countries before I pay him any attention ;)

It mostly comes down to aesthetics. Visiting every railway station in GB is a labour of love, an obsession realised and potentially a means to compile a wealth of useful information about a vast, mysterious and fundamental institution. Visiting lots of countries is a luxury and strikes me as egotistical above all - not an original collection of arcana but a means to profess one's own superiority.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let me just touch base here @Leuth

You are digging other people out for being dull?

:-)