Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harold Godwinson RIP

Comments

• Options

His career reeks of Charlton. Stunning away victory up north in the week then a resounding loss in his own back yard a few days later and then relegation... the parallels are uncanny!

RIP

Maybe Dale Stephens should move to Chelsea
  • Options
    More info for those interested regarding Saturdays events....

http://www.hbbs.info/
  • Options

The procession starts by the Pier at 7.15pm (Sat) the bonfire is on the beach (look out for the effigees) and the firwework display should start at 9pm.

To anyone who is considering whether to go or not, I'd offer this: it's an absolutely brilliant day/afternoon/evening. Don't hesitate to go if you have the chance. But work out your route in/out of Hastings. There's no chance you will be able to park and the trains are... a challenge!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

The procession starts by the Pier at 7.15pm (Sat) the bonfire is on the beach (look out for the effigees) and the firwework display should start at 9pm.

To anyone who is considering whether to go or not, I'd offer this: it's an absolutely brilliant day/afternoon/evening. Don't hesitate to go if you have the chance. But work out your route in/out of Hastings. There's no chance you will be able to park and the trains are... a challenge!
    Agree with that parking can be a nightmare trains will be busy and streets closed off...I'm fortunate that it's on my doorstep...for parking the Clive Vale area isn't to bad if you get down here early enough, leave it to late and you will be high up the hill (near to where we live) still only a 10-15 min walk down to the Old Town.
  • Options
    Still don't think of William as a proper king! Perhaps it's time to let it go...
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Chizz said:

And the point of this post is

Marking the anniversary of one of the most momentous occasions in European history.
    the last time we were invaded
    Successfully, only if you forget about the Dutch during The Glorious Revolution in 1688 which led to William of Orange becoming king. But there was also....

1067: Edgar Aethling attacked the West Country twice (2)

1060s–70s: Sweyn Estridsson invades in the north and then East Anglia (2)

1208: The Channel Islands are seized by Eustace the Monk (1)

1216: The French invade Kent, which sees their leader crowned (1)

The Hundred Years War

1217: Eustace the Monk invades near Sandwich 1

1338 to 1339: Attack on Harwich, Southampton, Plymouth, Jersey (twice), Guernsey, Alderney and Sark (8)

1340: French raids along the south coast; at least six landings (6)

1360: Attacks on Sandwich, Rye, Hastings and Winchelsea (4)

1373: Another French invasion of Jersey (1)

1376: Attack on Rye (1)

1377: Raids on Rye (twice), Rottingdean, Portsmouth, Dartmouth, Plymouth, Isle of Wight, Winchelsea, Folkestone, Southampton, Poole (11)

1380: Winchelsea attacked again (1)

1386: Winchelsea attacked once more. There were also landings in Kent (2)

1415: Isle of Wight attacked (1)

1408–1415: Raids on Isle of Wight and two on Dartmouth by French privateers (3)

1418: Winchelsea raided once more (1)

1461: French invade Jersey (1). Two other raids on Winchelsea during the war are referred to in documents. The years are not known, but they are distinct from the ones named above (2)

1487: Lambert Simnel, the pretender to the throne, landed in Lancashire, backed by a foreign force (1)

1491: Perkin Warbeck, another pretender, lands in Ireland to gain support for his claim (1)

1495: Warbeck invades in Kent (1)

1497: Warbeck invades in Cornwall (1)

1545: Isle of Wight, invaded by French in campaign that saw the loss of the Mary Rose (1)

1595: Cornwall invaded by the Spanish (1)

1601: Spanish landings at Cork (1)

1627: Barbary pirates land and occupy Lundy (1)

1620s: Barbary attacks around Conwy (1)

1631: Barbary sacking of Baltimore, Ireland (1)

1636: Barbary raid on St Keverne, Cornwall (1)

1640: Barbary attack on Penzance (1)

1667: Dutch landings at Sheerness and Felixstowe (2)

1688: William of Orange lands, leading to the Glorious Revolution (1)

1690: French raid Teignmouth (1)

1719: Spanish land at Loch Alsh (1)

1745: French–backed Jacobites landed (1)

1778: John Paul Jones raid on Whitehaven and Solway Firth (2)

1779: French raids on Channel Islands (1)

1796: French invade at Fishguard (1)

1940: Skirmish involving Germans at Graveney Marsh, Kent (1)

1940–1945: Nazi occupation of Channel Islands (1)

Yeah, other than these 68 occasions, we've never been invaded and long may it sort of continue.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Oggy Red said:

The last English King

The last Anglo-Saxon king
    This.
    Although, if Oggy is right, then Harold was the penultimate Anglo-Saxon King, followed by Edgar Ætheling.
    Don't you have to be crowned to be King?

• Options
    Jints said:

Chizz said:

Oggy Red said:

The last English King

This.
    Although, if Oggy is right, then Harold was the penultimate Anglo-Saxon King, followed by Edgar Ætheling.

The King is dead, long live the King.

I think you need to hand around long enough for people to remember that you were King. Edgar wasn't, a bit like Lady Jane Gray.
  • Options
    Jints said:

Chizz said:

Oggy Red said:

The last English King

This.

Apparently not ....... Queen Elizabeth II began her reign on the death of her father, King George VI, in February 1952.
    Her coronation wasn't until June 2nd June 1953.

Her Uncle, King Edward VIII, was King from January 1936 until he abdicated in December the same year.
    He was never crowned - which was why postage stamps of the time show his head with the crown separately to the side.

Of course, 1936 was the year when Britain had 3 kings.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Jints said:

Chizz said:

Oggy Red said:

The last English King

This.

Apparently not ....... Queen Elizabeth II began her reign on the death of her father, King George VI, in February 1952.
    Her coronation wasn't until June 2nd June 1953.

Her Uncle, King Edward VIII, was King from January 1936 until he abdicated in December the same year.
    He was never crowned - which was why postage stamps of the time show his head with the crown separately to the side.

Of course, 1936 was the year when Britain had 3 kings.
    Elizabeth may have been crowned in 1953, but she's still not a king.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very good, Chizz lol

She's just a lady king.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Very good, Chizz lol

She's just a lady king.

Kingess
  • Options

Apparently not, Edward V, the 'Prince in the Tower' was never crowned. Likewise Lady Jane Grey as she is always called, is listed as a Monarch - her reign lasted but 9 days,
    her fate was decapitation despite not wanting to be Queen in the first place!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Did you go Chizz?
  • Options

Chizz said:

Did you go Chizz?
    Unfortunately not
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Did you go Chizz?
    Unfortunately not
    Shame, always next year ay?
  • Options

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Did you go Chizz?
    Unfortunately not
    Yes. Were you there?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Did you go Chizz?
    Unfortunately not
    Yes. Were you there?
    Yes, we've been every year since moving down here (2010) always a good night in the Hastings calender of events.
  • Options

His career reeks of Charlton. Stunning away victory up north in the week then a resounding loss in his own back yard a few days later and then relegation... the parallels are uncanny!

RIP

This !

Superb victory at Stamford Bridge against Harold Hardrada and his own brother Tostig Godwinson. Then, because of injuries and having a small squad and walking all the way back because of engineering works, He put up a great fight, but was let down by some of his men counter attacking from the hillside when they were in a good defensive position.

They were supposed to be Man Marking, not Zonal marking.
    That way you don't lose an attack on your blind side.

Harold Godwinson just didn't get the backing he deserved.

The loan window was open but had to rely on young teenagers from the shires on his long march home. He was always fighting a losing battle against the Premier rich Normans. I believe it's much too soon to MOVE ON.

William you Bastard.

RIP Harold Godwinson

Didnt help the fact that he had the help of the Chelsea fans whilst at Stamford Bridge, just like all big sides they dont wanna travel away so didnt bother making the trip for the 2nd leg
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2015
    It always makes me laugh how people associate with Harold and the Saxons and not with William and the Normans, as if there is one continuous line of people who rightly belong on these islands. Of course, it doesn't take more than the slightest scrutiny to see that it's all nonsense. The fact is that not one of us (excepting 1st and 2nd generation immigrants - and quite possibly not many of them either) would be alive today if the battle had gone any other way. From that point of view, we should be equally lauding William as Harold. Then again, as it was basically all a big bun fight over who lorded it of the ordinary folk on these islands, it's perhaps not something where there's a reasonable rationale for associating with either side.
  • Options
    Fair point, Stig, but the people up here in the north might be inclined to disagree, given all the 'harrying' that went on. Contemporaries of the time describe him as ruthless and on his deathbed he was supposed to have been petrified of going to hell, praying for forgiveness for all the blood that was spilt on his orders. Whilst one Lord may appear to be the same as any other, William's feudal system was markedly even less benign than that which went before it. By and large, the Normans were most certainly not known for their touchy-feely nature.....They didn't call him 'William the Bastard' for nothing!

But, I agree with your main argument that if history hadn't happened the way it did, then the history of the country would have been very different.....whatever you say about the rapacious, bloodthirsty Plantaganet lot, their expansionism and flair for conquest led to a small, soggy island on the fringe of Europe coming to dominate a large part of the world and its language being more widely spoken than any other. I suppose we should maybe give William his due for this, but like others here - I still bear a grudge!
  • Options
    I've always liked the Normans, there is something wonderfully simple about them. Their conquest of Sicily reminds me of a bunch of mates going off on a jolly seeing how far they can get. However, they were sensible and pragmatic too. They recognised that the English administrative system of shires and hundredths did its job and they kept it, as a result the classic French "Feudal" system was never imposed on England.

Not related but I've always found the Danelaw period interesting too.
  • Options

Fair point, Stig, but the people up here in the north might be inclined to disagree, given all the 'harrying' that went on. Contemporaries of the time describe him as ruthless and on his deathbed he was supposed to have been petrified of going to hell, praying for forgiveness for all the blood that was spilt on his orders. Whilst one Lord may appear to be the same as any other, William's feudal system was markedly even less benign than that which went before it. By and large, the Normans were most certainly not known for their touchy-feely nature.....They didn't call him 'William the Bastard' for nothing!

But, I agree with your main argument that if history hadn't happened the way it did, then the history of the country would have been very different.....whatever you say about the rapacious, bloodthirsty Plantaganet lot, their expansionism and flair for conquest led to a small, soggy island on the fringe of Europe coming to dominate a large part of the world and its language being more widely spoken than any other. I suppose we should maybe give William his due for this, but like others here - I still bear a grudge!

As if the Saxons never did their share of raping and pillaging when they came over. Odd to hold a grudge against a man who lived and died nearly a thousand years ago, but there we go.
  • Options
    I always wondered how different history might have been if Hastings had come before Stamford Bridge. We could all be Danes - well up here at least.
  • Options

I always wondered how different history might have been if Hastings had come before Stamford Bridge. We could all be Danes - well up here at least.

None of us - not one single person alive in the UK today, would be here now. So, on that basis, I am very grateful for the result!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Chizz said:

None of us - not one single person alive in the UK today, would be here now. So, on that basis, I am very grateful for the result!
  • Options

Chizz said:

The course of history would have been so dramatically changed, that not one single person alive today, would have been born.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

The course of history would have been so dramatically changed, that not one single person alive today, would have been born.
    Really? William's line didn't last very long as it was. It's not like the peasants etc changed all that much after Hastings.