Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Did Guy Luzon Deserve The Sack?

Comments

• Options
    He didn't deserve it but it was inevitable in the current crazy world of Charlton.
  • Options
    Maybe
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Did he deserve the job would be a better question. Did he show anything over a sustained period of time to suggest that he could crack the second tier of English football? Or was he just a yes man with an agent in the right place?
  • Options
    2 points from 9 games usually means the sack. Tim Sherwood had a similar record and he's gone as well.
  • Options
    Yeah, Roland's a nutter but that doesn't give Guy a get out of jail card. Tuesday's performance and team selection was a step too far.
  • Options
    He was stitched right up by RD and KM but his position had become untenable. He had more or less the full team back yesterday and there was no spark so clearly the players weren't playing for him anymore
  • Options
    Yep. As time went by he began making more and more weird decisions, I think he lost the plot a bit, he seemed to have lost the players too.
  • Options

Did he deserve the job would be a better question. Did he show anything over a sustained period of time to suggest that he could crack the second tier of English football? Or was he just a yes man with an agent in the right place?

I think it's a bit unfair to call any of these Duchatelet managers 'Yes Men'. They're trying to make a living the same as us and are in no position to dictate terms to club owners. They need to be employed - they're not all rich unlike some British ex-players who go into management.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we were football managers with no affiliation to a club, offered a bigger wage than you've ever had and the chance to manage in one of the better leagues in the world, and you had RD on the blower suggesting that you played a couple of loan/young players instead of a couple of good consistent players, what would you do?
  • Options
    Should have been given more financial support by RD
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Should have been given more financial support by RD

He knew the score, he'd worked with him before and the number Roland did on Standards squad in the pre-season that Guy got fired was of proportions we are yet to witness at Charlton.
  • Options
    Lack of funds/injuries aside, when our team shows such a lack of passion coupled with poor tactics the manager has to go
  • Options
    Our players seemed less fit and organised than the teams we've played over the last few weeks, which isn't a good sign.
  • Options
    He should never have been appointed, purely on ability. On recent form, absolutely, no sign he knew how to turn the shambles around
  • Options
    yes he was useless incompetent and naive
  • Options
    Obviously not. He deserved a season, like all managers do.

Redman, give me a break. Is there any manager that you're fond of? I thought Luzon was one of the more talented managers we've had in recent times. He wasn't afraid to make decisions and I like that.
  • Options
    Maybe, maybe not. Can be argued reasonably that he was unlucky with injuries....However, He was also another RD puppet and was happy to be so, so knew what's what.

Also a manager/coach's job is to deal with things when times are tough and adapt. GL showed he couldn't do that. It was pretty much 442 regardless of personnel. If he had changed formations to suit the players he had available but it just wasn't enough then I may have had more sympathy for him, but he couldn't do that and showed that to the extreme against Preston. Anyone who tries to justify his baffling team selection that evening as because of injuries has the proverbial rose tinted's.
  • Options
    I think he's a manager who does well when he has the resources. His win ratio through the his career is excellent, better than Curbs, Riga, Powell and numerous others and that includes stints as the Isreal U21 coach and SL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes. I think morale drops to an almost irreversible low when you have such a poor run of form. This form can be "reset" to some extent by getting a new manager.

All this new guy needs to do is come in with some charisma and bark a few words in Belgian whilst hitting a diagram of a football pitch with xs and arrows on it and there will be some kind of rebound effect.
  • Options
    He showed at the start of the season with a fully fit squad what he could do. Sadly for him (and us), injuries hit and it showed up the overall squad to be totally weak and not good enough for a 46 game season. Who knows what he could've achieved with some decent backing in the summer.
  • Options
    Of course he had to go. Should never have got the job in the first place.

He had a good 8 game spell last season but I don't think we won a game in the last few months once we were safe.
  • Options
    Should never have been given the job in the first place. He was hired from obscurity to manage SL and then dumped on us. His track record prior to landing at SL in Israel was average at best.

Probably a half decent coach but the rumours of him not doing any work on the opposition seemed to be born out. His rigid 442 allowed teams to play around us in the middle of the park and he never showed any nous is changing formation to get us out of a rut. First thing a manager would do to is set up a system to make us very difficult to beat...

Nice guy but not good enough a manager to work with his hands tied behind his back here.

Unfortunately I'm not sure we'll ever get a manager good enough under this current system.
  • Options

Yep. As time went by he began making more and more weird decisions, I think he lost the plot a bit, he seemed to have lost the players too.

For a long time, probably since he was appointed if the truth be known.

Substitutions being made, instructions being bellowed out, the body language seemed poor.

I reckon the players had nothing against him personally but just looked at him and saw what he represents.

This will be the same with Fraeye and any other manager they bring in who is deemed a yes man from overseas.
  • Options
    Yes on the back of such a poor run and two 3-0 home defeats plus one of the worse home performances I've seen in 38 years of watching Charlton
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Of course he did. he didn't deserve to be replaced by the manager of a dog and duck type outfit though - mind you that's what we're turning in to I guess.
  • Options
    He was shafted by Roland, but I cannot ignore how badly the team played against Preston he had no idea how to make the most of the poor players he had available.
    On Saturday he showed some improvement but did not do anything to stop Judge who ran us ragged.
  • Options
    msomerton said:

He was shafted by Roland, but I cannot ignore how badly the team played against Preston he had no idea how to make the most of the poor players he had available.
    On Saturday he showed some improvement but did not do anything to stop Judge who ran us ragged.

He can join the other masses that have been shafted by the circus master.