Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What else is there to do on a Saturday afternoon

I've never felt so low supporting Charlton, I have been a regular since the mid 80's and a season ticket holder for 20 years, I struggled financially at uni but still managed to travel back to London and around the country to watch games, I've had arguments with girlfriends over going to matches, booked holidays and week ends away around home matches all because I love Charlton. But how can I get excited about Charlton anymore, we are a laughing stock managed by a guy under qualified to manage in the conference south with an owner who is hell bent on killing our club. For the first time in my life I've asked myself this question......do I really want to go to games anymore, what else is there to do on a Saturday afternoon?

I probably wont get a serious answer but after last nights appointment funny answers will go down very well

Comments

• Options
    I'm going to go to Ebbsfleet for my football fix.
  • Options
    Millwall, Palace, West Ham?
  • Options
    Lots of good films around. I'm enjoying family time rather than doing the 120 mile round trip. Don't give the Belgians your money. I've seen Charlton play on over 60 grounds - it took a lot for me to feel like this. Support the boycott
  • Options

The really sad thing is that the Brady bunch will do cheaper tickets to fill the
    Tax payers stadium and some young fans who should be CAFC will end up being hammers and knowing that makes me despair.
  • Options

Christ, things will never be that bad. That would be stooping lower than a snakes belly.
  • Options
    Soccer Saturday. You can just think to yourself, "at least I've not got to travel home after another abject surrender"
  • Options
    Will possibly take the camera out and enjoy some of the autumn / winter colours that the countryside has to offer
  • Options
    Rochester United, 2 minute walk up the road & £6 to get in!
  • Options

Rochester United, 2 minute walk up the road & £6 to get in!

Where abouts you based in Strood then mate?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I,m 5 mins away, I might join you.
  • Options
    Cant see myself going to watch another team as never really been good at watching a live game as a neutral,

I am somewhat caught between staying away and going to show support for protests that may happen.
  • Options
    If you still want the ritual of going to Charlton to watch football, you can go to Meridian Sports Ground and watch Bridon Ropes or Meridian VP - £5 or £6 in for 10th tier (Kent Invicta League) football. With crowds of about 30, there shouldn't be a bother getting drinks at the bar...
  • Options
    Non-league is the way to go if you want to boycott this shambles and still want a football fix. There's no shame in supporting a non-team as well and there is bound to be several near you who would appreciate you coming along. I've met Charlton fans at Dulwich when I've been along and know other Charlton fans who go to Welling or Bromley or Dartford. It depends where you are of course, but try that. It will take time for it to have the same sort of emotional pull (it may never).

If you don't need the football fix the world is your oyster.
  • Options
    Juggling blindfold with freshly sharpened kebab knives might initially seem fraught with peril, especially as I'm a cack handed fumbler with all the dexterity of a pissed Basil Fawlty BUT there's a chance it might be fun and it won't cost much - watching Charlton has become ever more dispiriting, costly to get to and in our hearts we know the owner is completely hatstand and most of the players see us morons who line their pockets.
  • Options
    Dogging?
  • Options
    I thought all the greyhound tracks in London have shut?
  • Options
    nichorob said:

Me too. It reminds me of how Charlton used to be run :disappointed:
  • Options
    Do you know what, I actually didn't go this Sat..first time I have chosen not to attend a match in probably the best part of 20 years...I've also done the booking holiday around fixtures/cancelling weekends away etc but after Tuesday, I thought 'sod it, I'm going to have a week off' and do you know what, it wasn't so bad...I was still fed up when the score came in but not quite as much as my dad who had gone to the game and witnessed the '2nd half surrender'...as to what I did: took my son to Greenwich Pleasuance so he could do some bike riding, watched some TV, had a conversation with my mum, and then went to the pub...was a perfectly pleasant Saturday afternoon... Now, not sure I'll do it again on the 7th, but who knows, I might....
  • Options

nichorob said:

Me too. It reminds me of how Charlton used to be run :disappointed:
    Yes, I have been a there couple of times this season. Acceptable standard of football and good entertainment. Peter Varney is going to take that club places.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    enjoy some (Saturday) afternoon delight
  • Options
    Non-League groundhopping.
  • Options
    Find an alternative London to visit, I done brick lane and Spitalfields with the kids, cost absolutely zilch and was one of my favourite Days out in yrs
  • Options
    Currently I share going games with my wife. If I took a long term boycott approach as a point of principle, all that would mean is my wife would then go every game, which I'm not sure is the objective of the boycott!
  • Options
    Never been more content with life not even thinking about cafc, and I didn't stop because roly I stopped because of work and not spending my spare time with my kids and wife, lost Charlton found life away from it is fulfilling and without annoyance
  • Options
    Good for you NLA
  • Options

Never been more content with life not even thinking about cafc, and I didn't stop because roly I stopped because of work and not spending my spare time with my kids and wife, lost Charlton found life away from it is fulfilling and without annoyance

Likewise, never been happier with life away from football. Would never have dreamt of having a holiday in the season before, but this shambles has made it so much easier than it should have been to stay away. Plenty to do on Saturday with our dogs and my training school which is slowly coming together, along with working with and trying to help and understand Autism in youngsters and while watching these youngsters working with my dogs brings more satisfaction than Charlton ever could.
  • Options
    Sometimes something clicks inside and you realise that football is meant to be a release from the stress of life not be a chore and added stress no matter how shit they perform and in what league, the min it moves away from that then it's not fun and not what it should be, maybe I served my time visited many grounds and have seen good and shit times and therefor I don't really miss anything other than the social, living the otherside of London made the journey home a pain In the arse when on the booze all day so it was an easy break also,

Glad you too have found it an easy break Ray and you are doing things like that, we all know how much that means to you and the good lady,

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, I don't doubt I will return but I can't see it in the short term for me, work has been extremely busy and my kids take what's left
  • Options
    Sit in the pub and watch Gillette soccer Saturday, spend the money you would have spent on ticket/programme/travel on accumulators, all of which lose comfortably(like cafc), repeat.