Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Henderson backed Luzon moments before he was sacked

"He’s a good manager and a good person - the effort he puts in during the week, that the fans don't see, it’s top notch."

Full story and quotes here:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/13895163.Charlton_star_backed_Guy_Luzon_minutes_before_axe/

Comments

• Options
    Two good men there...Stephen Henderson and Guy Luzon.
  • Options
    That quashes all the 'he's lost the dressing room' bull then!
  • Options
    Interesting.
  • Options
    On the other hand it wasn't likely that Henderson would come out and say "The blokes a bit of a nutter" or something similar now would he. I don't blame Luzon for this debacle in fact he is as much a victim of it as we all are. What I saw was a man really trying to do his best under difficult circumstances without adequate backing or playing staff. Feel sorry for him.
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

That quashes all the 'he's lost the dressing room' bull then!

You lose the dressing when senior players aren't given a game despite losing games. Any members of our 1st team who were fit plus U21 academy players were given a game if they were fit. The irony is the crowd wanted Cousins to play centre mid and he has been poor in the last 3 games playing in that position.

The big question for me is the overall fitness of the whole squad.
    Two players who were limited skill wise but boy could we do with their fitness levels. Wagstaff and Pritchard ! I want their fitness in our squad not them back :smile:

• Options
    Stephen Henderson has told his Charlton team-mates to look at their own performances after the 3-0 loss to Brentford which ended Guy Luzon’s spell in charge.
    The Addicks keeper spoke to the press before the club’s owner Roland Duchatelet dismissed Luzon on Saturday evening.
    Henderson said: “The only way is up. I can only say I’m looking forward - because it can’t get much worse.
    “I just need to worry about myself, my performances, everyone has to have a look at themselves, me included. I’d like to apologise to the fans for that performance - to concede three goals again is not acceptable.
    “It is very difficult at the moment. In the first 10 minutes we could’ve been 2-0 up and the game’s over. We didn’t take our chances - they did.
    “They looked fitter than us, they had more ideas than us and they were worthy winners in the end.
    “I think when we missed those chances we could see the lads maybe put their heads down. At half-time we came in positive. I thought we were still in the game. We came out and that second goal has killed us.
    “We need character. Certain individuals need to step up and just show more passion. The crowd was brilliant in the first half - very loud - and then our second half was not acceptable.
    “I look at that side we put out and that’s a good Championship side. Confidence is the main thing we need because we can go on a run.
    “I’m looking forward to the fight. The lads are good enough to come through it.
    “I’ll keep working and training hard. I’m not going to go down without a fight, I tell you that much.”
    It was Henderson’t first start of the season after only recently returning from shoulder surgery just before the campaign got underway.
    “I’m just happy to be back fit,” he said. “I know it’s selfish. I had my first 90 minutes on Monday [for the development side], obviously I wanted to contribute more myself. I tried my best. Maybe five games down the line I save one or two of those [goals], but it wasn’t to be.”
  • Options
    edited October 2015

On the other hand it wasn't likely that Henderson would come out and say "The blokes a bit of a nutter" or something similar now would he. I don't blame Luzon for this debacle in fact he is as much a victim of it as we all are. What I saw was a man really trying to do his best under difficult circumstances without adequate backing or playing staff. Feel sorry for him.

He knew what he was letting himself in for when he took the job. I don't blame him, I blame Roland, but I don't feel particularly sorry for him either.
  • Options
    Yep good point Neil after all he had managed a Duchatelet side before so he knew the deal before he came to us. Can't help feeling that the players let him down as well.
  • Options
    The one thing that did stick out about Luzon's teams is they never looked very fit. Under Powell and Riga we always had a fit team who ran to the final whistle even when we didn't have the best players. Let's hope Fraeye can get a bit more fitness into the players, as one thing Hendo's right about is the line-up that we started with against Brentford are capable of beating a lot of teams.
  • Options

The one thing that did stick out about Luzon's teams is they never looked very fit. Under Powell and Riga we always had a fit team who ran to the final whistle even when we didn't have the best players. Let's hope Fraeye can get a bit more fitness into the players, as one thing Hendo's right about is the line-up that we started with against Brentford are capable of beating a lot of teams.

Bloody heck... Did you ever come to the Valley when Ajdarevic was playing? ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bloody heck... Did you ever come to the Valley when Ajdarevic was playing? ;)
    Ha, true, and he'd only come on on 85 minutes
  • Options

Under Powell and Riga, Duchatelet had only just started systematically dismantling and reducing the playing squad, so up to the end of that season we still had a limited number of reserve players to come in when others weren't fully fit. We haven't had any depth in the squad since then - if the players looked unfit under Luzon, I'd say it's got little to do with him neglecting the fitness side of things in training, and everything to do with the fact that coaches under Duchatelet have no option but to start players who are still carrying injuries and would be recuperating for another couple of weeks at a properly run club, Vetokele being the best (but by no means the only) example of this.
  • Options
    I can't put my finger on why but this comment from @EdgeleyAddick really resonated with me, and I think it bears repeating. He's on to something there. We looked knackered that day, but why? We'd already got the job done, and should have been in good shape physically and mentally

"Enjoyed Guy at his peak (if you can have a peak in the space of 9 months). Some really entertaining performances. Seemed to start to go wrong in the last game of last session weirdly. There was something about that capitulation against AFCB that screamed alarm bells."
  • Options

No, but he didn't need to say anything.

Personally I think the AFCB performance was always going to end up that way. Our season had finished, they had everything to play for and a much much better side than we had. What's been more significant is that we didn't sustain the level of commitment we showed in the early games this season. If Luzon hadn't lost them, I'd wager the players had got disillusioned with the promises of players coming in that hadn't been fulfilled, and being left to attempt to compete in Championship games surrounded with debutant kids.