Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Gold

I am a member of VG and understand it is separate from the club but am considering cancelling this, I feel that by continue to pay into VG it is still helping the Rat.

Anyone else VG and thinking of doing the same?

Comments

• Options
    Seen loads of people say they've cancelled it on Twitter, I'm not a member so I can't say I've cancelled it myself. I have today cancelled my CAFC Player subscription though.
  • Options
    Yes, RD won't be here forever, hopefully our club will be.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I'm not convinced there's a strong link between VG & RD.

Valley Gold is vital for the future of our club, it was here before Roland and it'll be here long after he's gone - I'm keeping my subscription.

I was of that feeling but all the time VG is supporting the academy he is benefiting.
  • Options

I am a member of VG and understand it is separate from the club but am considering cancelling this, I feel that by continue to pay into VG it is still helping the Rat.

Roland gets an easy ride when it comes to funding the academy, his investment to our youth system is essentially subsidized by VG and therefore I am cancelling mine today.
  • Options
    Jarman said:

Roland gets an easy ride when it comes to funding the academy, his investment to our youth system is essentially subsidized by VG and therefore I am cancelling mine today.
    Agreed. Cancel VG today, renew the second Roland goes.

• Options
    I wonder what the point of supporting the Academy is at the moment. The last two proper top class prospects (Poyet and Gomez) have gone after playing no more than 20 games for Charlton. I want to see Charlton players playing for Charlton, not flipped for profit like some 'buy to let' shyster landlord would.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Valley Gold is vital for the future of our club, it was here before Roland and it'll be here long after he's gone - I'm keeping my subscription.

Valley Gold is run by a seperate organisation called Charlton Club. Is it possible for the Charlton Club committee to stop all donations to the club until RD has gone? Supporters could still keep contributing to Valley Gold and those funds could be ring fenced until this mess is sorted out?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had been a member from the start but cancelled mine over a year ago as this bastard sees the academy as somewhere he can make money. Even his initial outlay will be paid back with a couple of good products coming though. He's got the money so he can pay for it.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    JohnnyH2 said:

se9addick said:

Valley Gold is run by a seperate organisation called Charlton Club. Is it possible for the Charlton Club committee to stop all donations to the club until RD has gone? Supporters could still keep contributing to Valley Gold and those funds could be ring fenced until this mess is sorted out?
    Have done some more digging on this and the Committee is made up of KM, the Clubs FD and an assortment of fans. The trust have @rikofold on the committee, is it possible for donations from Valley Gold to the club be suspended?
  • Options
    Unless donations are suspended then I'm cancelling.
  • Options
    Not interested after Sheffield United. Can only benefit Belgians. Subsidised player development for his transfer profit. Start again when he is gone.
  • Options
    If you all cancel then I can win it every month, happy days!
  • Options
    I am considering cancelling mine for all the reasons above with a view to renewing the minute they have gone.
  • Options
    the Lass and I are cancelling because with the rebuild of Sparrows Lane it is obvious that RD is financing everything to do with the Academy and has ignored the possibility of outside funding so he doesn't need our money either.
  • Options
    I was actually wondering yesterday whether there was any legal way we could delay the training ground redevelopment... as if it's central to RD's plans here then if we could prevent it going ahead while he's here it may encourage him to leave.

The above would only work on the assumption that the planning permission would remain in place for the next owner to run with.

Whether it's a feasible idea I don't know... but just throwing it out there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was actually wondering yesterday whether there was any legal way we could delay the training ground redevelopment... as if it's central to RD's plans here then if we could prevent it going ahead while he's here it may encourage him to leave.

The above would only work on the assumption that the planning permission would remain in place for the next owner to run with.

Is Swampy still knocking about ?
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

JohnnyH2 said:

se9addick said:

Have done some more digging on this and the Committee is made up of KM, the Clubs FD and an assortment of fans. The trust have @rikofold on the committee, is it possible for donations from Valley Gold to the club be suspended?
    For what it's worth, I think this would be a self-defeating target. Valley Gold is a fans' organisation and our donations focus on the Academy, which therefore have long term benefits. Suspending a payment would serve to antagonise but little more - it wouldn't really impact the people we'd need to impact, and it's not enough money (£50-60k) to influence the first team thinking.

I will, however, drop Paul Nottage a line - my fellow supporters' rep on the committee - to gauge his thoughts. We're both fairly direct people who prefer to hold the club to account for the donations they receive, but suspect he will think like I do this is the wrong target for protest action.

(LOL @Halix, btw)

• Options

I would urge you not to cancel. Valley Gold makes donation into the one area RD is developing, and it's an area that will benefit us for the long term - even after he's long gone.

I understand people needing to do something, but I'd urge a little patience until the Supporters' Trust (in particular) are ready to have their say.

Jack O'Sullivan will join me at the Trust AGM this week to present what Valley Gold is achieving and why we need you to keep supporting it, and of course there's opportunity for us to discuss the current situation. Much more productive to join the Trust and come join us work things through.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

and assuming any new owner would want to run with it

• Options
    sorry Rikofold but I'm still cancelling but I will rejoin the day RD goes
  • Options

and assuming any new owner would want to run with it

Guys, the plans are good and if he's prepared to plough £10-12m in to deliver them we really would be shooting ourselves in the foot to scupper them. I agree any protest action needs to identify something that would get RD's attention, but this page is full of ideas that hurt the club itself. I think we need to think on.

@lancashire lad, I'm sorry to hear that. I understand and respect your decision, but equally I think it's the wrong one.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

If RD is putting £10-12m in, he will want a return on that investment. It seems to me the plan is turn Charlton into a footballer factory, with the sole intent of milking the academy for cash. He certainly doesn't seem to care how we are doing in the league.

We pay our money every month in the hope that we find another Richard Rufus, a Charlton hero that we can all be proud we played a small part in developing. Not a Joe Gomez who plays 20 games then is flogged for an undisclosed amount.

Absolutely spot on.

The Mad Professor sees the Academy as a cash cow for himself, not to produce Valley legends like Rufus, Parker and Jonjo etc.

• Options
    I'm a member and will continue to be so. I only joined to contribute to the academy and feel I help to bring through new talent. They operate completely independently of CAFC and I support Charlton not the owners.
  • Options

Missed It said:

If RD is putting £10-12m in, he will want a return on that investment. It seems to me the plan is turn Charlton into a footballer factory, with the sole intent of milking the academy for cash. He certainly doesn't seem to care how we are doing in the league.

We pay our money every month in the hope that we find another Richard Rufus, a Charlton hero that we can all be proud we played a small part in developing. Not a Joe Gomez who plays 20 games then is flogged for an undisclosed amount.

Absolutely spot on.

The Mad Professor sees the Academy as a cash cow for himself, not to produce Valley legends like Rufus, Parker and Jonjo etc.

@rikofold..... Unfortunately I feel that many VG members are going to start thinking this way. My membership recently ran out and I've been umming n ahhing whether to renew. I keep thinking over things and rightly or wrongly the above is the conclusion I keep coming to.

VG is/has been fantastic, and I, and am sure others are not taking this decision lightly. If it is the case that RD will not be personally benefiting and it isn't going to turn into a tread mill of selling youngsters as soon as possible off the back of the fans support of VG, then it may be that a concerted publicity drive to convince fans will be needed.

Good luck.