Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What are the options for Roland Duchâtelet

With West Ham moving in down the road

Does he look to invest heavily to get us promoted, try to increase the fan base and compete with West Hams season ticket pricing. This would have to mean investing in the Valley to increase capacity.

Prod on as we are and try to make money through the accademy, low player wages, Championship football at best or even lower league football.

Sell the club to who.

At this moment in time it is utterly important for us to be successful on and off the pitch, never have we been in a position where a club from East London could affect our crowds and future support in such a way.

A true fan blinded by loyalty and blindness would do the first.
A buisness person maybe the second

The third option is impossible if you can't find a buyer which I think would now be harder than ever.

Comments

• Options
    Doubt he's even thinking about it. Not concerned with anything aside from budgets.
  • Options
    I'm sure Katrien spoke for Roland when she said that she wasn't concerned with West Ham moving into the Olympic Stadium.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I think we all know the answer to that question and it doesn't involve spending lots of money.
  • Options
    I think RD is in cahoots with the guy who was leader of the RBG Council, he advises property developers to build a 10000 capacity stadium (that is all Charlton will need if RD stays as owner) and lease it to CAFC, thus allowing RD to sell the Valley to the property developers who could then build the minimum number of social housing units to get planning permission. If RD could get a similar deal as WM at the OS he will be laughing all the way to the bank. (I do love a conspiracy theory).
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

I think RD is in cahoots with the guy who was leader of the RBG Council, he advises property developers to build a 10000 capacity stadium (that is all Charlton will need if RD stays as owner) and lease it to CAFC, thus allowing RD to sell the Valley to the property developers who could then build the minimum number of social housing units to get planning permission. If RD could get a similar deal as WM at the OS he will be laughing all the way to the bank. (I do love a conspiracy theory).

I thought someone had said that it might be difficult to get planning application for housing on the Valley, might have imagined that though.
  • Options

With West Ham moving in down the road

Does he look to invest heavily to get us promoted, try to increase the fan base and compete with West Hams season ticket pricing. This would have to mean investing in the Valley to increase capacity.

Prod on as we are and try to make money through the accademy, low player wages, Championship football at best or even lower league football.

Sell the club to who.

At this moment in time it is utterly important for us to be successful on and off the pitch, never have we been in a position where a club from East London could affect our crowds and future support in such a way.

A true fan blinded by loyalty and blindness would do the first.
    A buisness person maybe the second

The third option is impossible if you can't find a buyer which I think would now be harder than ever.

Strikes me we have one of the most affordable propositions in football at the moment. Wonder when the club will work out that it takes more than cheap tickets, two people in cheap fancy dress and a sofa to get the attention of prospective supporters...
  • Options
    What's always bugged me is that, judging from the Airman's concerns about Valley Express, RD/KM have little interest in keeping up links with longstanding fans from Kent. So that side of things withers away.

Yet there's been no strategy to sell the club within London itself. Remember the days under Peter Varney when we had ads on the side of buses? No sign of that now - all the marketing seems to be aimed at existing fans, rather than pointing out that there is a London club where you won't get ripped off for wanting to watch live football (unlike Fulham, QPR, etc). There was a "Club SE7" thing where those of us who live in Charlton itself had an offer for cheap tickets, but that's been about it.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Dansk_Red said:

I thought someone had said that it might be difficult to get planning application for housing on the Valley, might have imagined that though.
    Land for "affordable housing is at a premium, the Labour candidate for Mayor of London is basing his campaign on providing more affordable housing in London, you just need a few brown envelopes stuffed with cash to get round planning constraints.
  • Options
    He pisses off enough fans to not warrant having a football club in the area then sells the ground to developers and pockets a ton of cash.
  • Options

What's always bugged me is that, judging from the Airman's concerns about Valley Express, RD/KM have little interest in keeping up links with longstanding fans from Kent. So that side of things withers away.

Yet there's been no strategy to sell the club within London itself. Remember the days under Peter Varney when we had ads on the side of buses? No sign of that now - all the marketing seems to be aimed at existing fans, rather than pointing out that there is a London club where you won't get ripped off for wanting to watch live football (unlike Fulham, QPR, etc). There was a "Club SE7" thing where those of us who live in Charlton itself had an offer for cheap tickets, but that's been about it.

They're just completely clueless. That and, the future of the club just isn't on the agenda or a priority for them. That's quite clear. I wonder if Peter Varney fancies a return?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Chris Roberts was and is a thoroughly nasty piece of work, but he was closer to the spivs than the Belgians. It would have been him that had a close hand in the masterplan that envisages an arena at Morden Wharf on the west side of the Greenwich Peninsula.

That said, he now works as a consultant to property companies - entirely appropriate given his close relationship with the likes of Berkeley Homes as council leader. He's still a regular in the lounges at The Valley (Steve Sutherland was/is a trustee of a charity he set up while council leader, Greenwich Starting Blocks, which still runs out of the council) and is rumoured to still be in regular touch with his replacement, Denise Hyland.

I suspect that with the current government's attitude to socially-rented housing (and indeed, Greenwich's record in backing certain planning schemes), any developer wouldn't have to worry about making up a quota of social housing should any development take place there. Really can't see that happening unless the club were to go out of business, though.
  • Options

They're just completely clueless. That and, the future of the club just isn't on the agenda or a priority for them. That's quite clear. I wonder if Peter Varney fancies a return?

I think the Duchâtelet paradox is that he knows precisely what he wants the club to look like in 10 years' time, but he's no idea how to steer it through he next two years. Or even two weeks.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

What are the options for Roland Duchâtelet?

1. Invest in the current playing squad for short term pain (in the pocket) more potential future gains.

2. Don't invest in the current squad and continue to endure short term pain, hatred and a far higher potential for missing out on future gains.

3. Take creatine and get tons of gains.
  • Options
    If I was Duchatelet, I would be looking for a buyer ASAP to cut my losses.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Problem being where does a buyer come from.
  • Options
    Long walk short plank?
  • Options

_MrDick said:

We're all looking at you BPhasnohair
  • Options
    I'm currently finding it hard to care about a club that doesn't give a shit about me.............
  • Options

_MrDick said:

We're all looking at you BPhasnohair
    Not me I can just about afford my ST each season
  • Options
    He builds a giant underground chamber underneath the Valley pitch and tries to bring back the dinosaurs a'la Richard Attenborough in Jurassic Park. He sells all exciting youth prospects to fund said activities until he realises it's just a movie. When he finds out this can't be done he converts the Valley into a nudist colony for crazed multi millionaire business men. He strolls around the north stand stark bollock naked whilst singing the theme tune to Poirot.

KM is in the west stand directors seating area with a list of Belgian men randomly taken from their equivalent of the electoral register. KM says they must fight to the death to be the next unknown Belgian no mark to be given the Charlton manager's job. As the battles take place Thuram and Anil Koc are taking penalties in front of the covered end in a Staprix penalty shoot out champion of the world competition. Whilst all this is going on Christophe Le Point is bouncing around on the pitch on a space hopper shouting 'Melexis, Melexis'.

I realise this sounds like absolute nonsense, but is it really anymore mental than our club over the last 2 years
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

He pisses off enough fans to not warrant having a football club in the area then sells the ground to developers and pockets a ton of cash.

Does anyone know how much The Valley would be worth as a housing development site? Especially with it being fully built as a football ground and therefore needing a huge demolition job to get a cleared site which would in turn not be the easiest to develop with a huge uneven site. If his genius plan is to sink £40M and rising into turning The Valley into a residential development site then he really is deluded.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I wonder which British manager you think (who's available) could do the job ?
  • Options
    Gus Poyet (not British but has been in our game a long time)
    Nigel Clough
    Nigel Pearson
    Sean O'Driscoll
    Paul Lambert
    Brendan Rodgers (long shot)
  • Options
    There are quite a few possibilities, skywalker, enough for people to have very different preferences, some of which would be more possible than others. However, nearly every one of those managers would expect to manage transfers in and out, and it is clear that is a non-starter with RD. Even if they were prepared to accept a continental coach role, they would be unhappy with our budget for the squad, so it's all academic. Some examples are Nigel Pearson, who was at Leicester, or Paul Lambert, who was at Norwich a few years back.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

What are the options for Roland Duchâtelet?

1. Invest in the current playing squad for short term pain (in the pocket) more potential future gains.

Didn't we do this in the 2006/07 season? (Spending more than the previous 5 seasons combined). We don't know vast sums of money bringing in new faces during the transfer window will yield results.

• Options
    skywalker said:

I wonder which British manager you think (who's available) could do the job ?

I don't think most people care if he's British or not, most just want someone who has management experience in this country.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Does anyone know how much The Valley would be worth as a housing development site? Especially with it being fully built as a football ground and therefore needing a huge demolition job to get a cleared site which would in turn not be the easiest to develop with a huge uneven site. If his genius plan is to sink £40M and rising into turning The Valley into a residential development site then he really is deluded.
    While Roland may be cocking up many aspects of running the club, the suggestions that he's just after the land to build houses are completely baseless speculation. Indeed if you contrast us now with 1985, back then the owners invested heavily in the playing team for promotion, while the ground rotted, whereas RD seems happier spending money on the stadium and training than either the players on the pitch or the backroom staff.
  • Options
    sell up and fuck off
  • Options
    edited October 2015